• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

Fun with my new shooting setup. Pomegranate and maple glazed salmon, winter greens dressed in tangerine and olive oil, skin cracker.

6787471041_a0ddb7cb8c_z.jpg

6787437189_917f5a92f0_b.jpg

That skin cracker looks awesome. It reminds me of this part in a Haruki Murakami story where somebody talks about loving salmon so much she wishes there could be a salmon that was all skin, just layers and layers of tasty skin. A weird image, but a delicious one.

nunc est bibendum...

Have been following the thread for a bit and now time to contribute. .

Saturday Dinner -- Steak Night.

Custom cut NY strip cut grilled and in the oven to finish off.

20120128_193944.jpg

A medium rare steak and baked potato.

20120128_194927.jpg

Pepin's Orange Soufflé Crêpes

20120128_203323.jpg

And I want a table for two and a chicken for eight o'clock.

lochaven – nice meal, welcome to Dinner!

Dejah – gorgeous meal, great job of spreading the good word (and thanks for the nice comment on the Breakfast thread).

Dinner last night, adapted from Andrea Nguyen’s Into the Vietnamese Kitchen

Stir-fried chicken with lemongrass and chile, served with jasmine rice. Chicken marinated with curry powder, sugar, salt, and fish sauce; stir-fried with red bell peppers and minced lemongrass, Thai bird chiles, and shallots; and finished with coconut milk and cilantro.

Napa cabbage soup with shrimp and bay scallops – Mrs. C claims that the robust aroma of dried shrimp reminds her of a bait shop, so I used extra fish sauce instead. White pepper, sliced scallions, and sautéed onion added flavor.

p716170780-4.jpg

Yesterday was a almost a full day of cooking. The day before we had bought a massive package of pork shoulders and another massive package of bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs from Costco. I started out by trimming, halving and tieing each pork shoulder to end up with 4 roasts. One went into the slow cooker for pulled pork (that we will eat tonight) and the others were vacuum packed and frozen. (Love the new Tojiro honesuke!)

There were a total of 24 thighs. I vacuum packed 20 of them, two to a package, and cooked them sous vide at 175F for 5 hours, then quick chilled them in a ice bath, the froze them for later use.

The remaining four thighs were de-skinned and de-boned and cut into chunks, then marinated in hoisin, soy, garlic and sherry for 6 hours. Then for dinner I made them into a stir fry with yu choy, carrots, onion and celery with a sauce of soy, hoisin, ginger and a touch of red pepper flakes. Served with basmati rice.

stir-fry.jpg

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Kay Lovely sandwich. Did you make the mozzarella?

Scotty Great skin! Looks like the kitchen is shaping up nicely :)

C. sapidus Mmmmmmmmm scallops. I want!

I'm on a bread making kick--not good because I'm trying to NOT eat carbs *sigh*

P1220173.JPG

AND, a pasta making kick *double sigh*

P1230176.JPG

Cajun shrimp with some zucchini

P1280178.JPG

Homemade cheese enchiladas with pork chili verde and rice

P1290179.JPG

salad with fried devilled eggs.jpg

Another salad but this time with Pepin's fried devilled eggs. The dressing uses some of the devilled egg filling.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

robirdstx -- holy wow! I love me some good steak pr0n...

SobaAddict - Thank you! Always happy to oblige!

robirdstx, I'll have some of that Chipotle Pork Posole.

djyee100 - I would be more than happy to send some your way but my DH ate it all. :laugh:

So many great looking dinners here. And welcome to all the new people posting on this topic.

I was on my own for dinner tonight, so I treated myself:

Lobster%2520Tail%2520Grilled-04.jpg

Butterflied, Grilled, and Garlic-Butter Basted Lobster Tail :wub:

I was on my own for dinner tonight, so I treated myself:

Butterflied, Grilled, and Garlic-Butter Basted Lobster Tail :wub:

Oh no... I am drooling over a keyboard that already got washed with a glass of water this morning.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Csapidus --Thanks for the welcome -- that napa/shrimp/scallop soup looks delicious. I'm always amazed how delicious those clear/glazed dishes/soups can be.

MGaretz -- Anything with Hoisin is good.

Shelby -- Great looking bread and pasta...thank I like carbs? lol

everyone else, great dinner and pics.

Thanks

And I want a table for two and a chicken for eight o'clock.

salad with fried devilled eggs.jpg

Another salad but this time with Pepin's fried devilled eggs. The dressing uses some of the devilled egg filling.

Fried deviled eggs???? I'm going to the google machine to look them up. Beautiful salad!

Csapidus --Thanks for the welcome -- that napa/shrimp/scallop soup looks delicious. I'm always amazed how delicious those clear/glazed dishes/soups can be.

MGaretz -- Anything with Hoisin is good.

Shelby -- Great looking bread and pasta...thank I like carbs? lol

everyone else, great dinner and pics.

Thanks

Thank you so much and welcome to the dinner thread and EGullet :) Glad you are here!

Sunday Dinner:

Baked Eggplant with Vodka Sauce and Strachinno cheese.

Diamond sliced the top of the eggplant, just the flesh. Evoo'd then added salt, oregano, thyme and Vodca sauce-- make sure it gets into the slits, top with cheese bake 375 F for 35-45 min.

6796894557_c3c9a62b04.jpg

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)

Its good to have Morels

Beef and Broccoli.jpg

S-V chuckeye with broccoli and cheese sauce.

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna N – Nice to see what you have been cooking up!

Shelby - Thank you

. . . I'm trying to NOT eat carbs *sigh*

Yeah, that bread and pasta looks really good. You're doomed. :raz::wink:

Pan-fried trout with macadamias, chipotles, bacon, and long beans – adapted from Mexican Everyday. Skin-on trout with garlic, chicken broth, cilantro, and lime juice. Fried in bacon - very popular.

Quick cowboy beans (not pictured) - black beans, more bacon, garlic, tomatoes, cilantro, and pickled jalapenos. Younger son made salad tonight.

I think the vegetables balanced out the bacon?

p613546484-5.jpg

mm84321 I am intrigued. How did you make that fish? What was the bechamel for? I assume it is bechamel? Did you poach the potatoes in the bechamel, then use it to wrap the fish, and then encase it in the salt crust? Did you debone the fish before cooking? The finished result looks amazing ... I can almost feel the moistness in my mouth from looking at your picture!

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

mm84321 I am intrigued. How did you make that fish? What was the bechamel for? I assume it is bechamel? Did you poach the potatoes in the bechamel, then use it to wrap the fish, and then encase it in the salt crust? Did you debone the fish before cooking? The finished result looks amazing ... I can almost feel the moistness in my mouth from looking at your picture!

Thanks, Keith.

What you are calling a béchamel is, in fact, a crepe batter that was used to wrap the fish to protect it from the salt seeping too much into the flesh. The herbs in the crepe also added a wonderful aroma at the table once I cut open the crust. The fish was cooked whole, on the bone, and as you see the result was extremely moist and tender.

This is my first post to eG since registering yesterday. So I wanted to contribute to this thread.

Yesterday afternoon a very large package came to my office. I was practically giddy as I opened my new Ary vacmaster vp112. Unfortunately I didn't have much time to get dinner ready so I decided to use it to do a quick marinade. I pureed garlic, ginger and scallions with sesame oil, salt and pepper and poured it in a vac canister with a 1.6 pound hanger steak and pulled a 35 second vacuum. (I stopped when the marinade reached a rolling boil, truth to be told I may have actually giggled when that happened.) I left it to marinate for about an hour while I got my risotto going.

So for dinner last night we had grilled "quick marinated" hanger steak with leek and kale risotto. It was amazing! I would post pictures but my plating skills are not up to the level of many of the posters here and in the photos it looks a mess.

Edited by Charcuterer (log)

Welcome, Charcuterer! Bring on the photos; I don't plate worth a damn, either.

Shelby, no, that's commercial mozzarella. I'm going to try my hand this weekend. Oh, and the crawfish trailer is open!

mm854321, I continue to be amazed at some of the things you do with seafood. That looked delicious.

c sapidus, great-looking trout with the bacon and beans. Hanging on to that idea for this summer when beans come in.

Paul Bacino, the eggplant is genius material. I think I may have just decided what to do with the quart of homemade tomato sauce in my fridge. What kind of cheese did you use?

Anna, I have never been able to get chuckeye tender enough to eat. How long and at what temp did you cook it? (I can then save that info for when I get a sous vide setup.)

Some wonderful meals out there this week.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Haven't cooked in awhile, but it's a funny thing - take a look back in the 500's (of this thread) and then go to the past few dozen pages. Man, everyone on this thread has stepped up the game! Not that it was bad before, but this is turning into a truly visually stunning thread!

And Anna N, at what temp and how long did you sous vide that chuck? My sous vide setup is getting a little lonely ...