• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2024

liuzhou

43 minutes ago, rotuts said:

there does not seem to  be a ' plain ' dessert thread.

just as well :

ill call this an after dinner snack :

IMG_4249.thumb.jpeg.1875b57b63225f1000076217c99cb6f6.jpeg

TJ's semi-sweet chocolate bits.

MarketBasket mini-shredded wheat  ( TJ's has 'em too )

just a bit off salt.

a nice ratio would be    3+ Choc. to one SW.

you'll stop rolling your eyes . once you try it.

I think that would go in the category of Desperation Dessert for me. And in reality would never happen because I never have cereal in the house (not a fan) nor do I ever have chocolate chips in the house (also not a fan). I know, I'm odd. But I'm happy that you enjoy something so simple.

• Like 2

Deb

Liberty, MO

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

there does not seem to  be a ' plain ' dessert thread.

just as well :

ill call this an after dinner snack :

IMG_4249.thumb.jpeg.1875b57b63225f1000076217c99cb6f6.jpeg

TJ's semi-sweet chocolate bits.

MarketBasket mini-shredded wheat  ( TJ's has 'em too )

just a bit off salt.

a nice ratio would be    3+ Choc. to one SW.

you'll stop rolling your eyes . once you try it.

Hmm.

I think I'd flip that ratio.

add sriracha

and maybe zap it in the uwave.

• Like 1

Canada Day dinner. I did most of the prep in the morning, spent the day out, so this was relatively quick to put together.

Snow crab legs and claws, cleaned to about a cup, and made into crabcakes (very delicate as I believe crabcakes should be 95% crab).

Sauteed to reheat in a bit of butter and served with a mango lime habanero salsa, coleslaw, tomatoes and cucumber.

Finished with something which is very rare for me, a dessert, but it's our national holiday and strawberries are local so strawberry shortcake.

SnowCrab1.thumb.JPG.10316256d46655872cd202ca9396ad1f.JPGSnowCrab2.thumb.JPG.352ee486aac4313b2c75ede9b2055631.JPGDSCN2240.thumb.JPG.b45a69c7e55ac2d77289df40c688da82.JPGDSCN2238.thumb.JPG.5176fbdf0c9234b94649607bdd0e496a.JPG

• Like 9
  • Delicious 6

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

11 hours ago, gfweb said:

Recipe? what recipe???

@gfweb Here you go: 

@Duvel, I did not have it last night because a friend brought me a Caesar salad, so I had that instead of my potato. But I gave him a jar of it and they used it on their fish and baked potato and said it was delicious!

Edited by Maison Rustique (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Deb

Liberty, MO

14 hours ago, Maison Rustique said:

I think that would go in the category of Desperation Dessert for me. And in reality would never happen because I never have cereal in the house (not a fan) nor do I ever have chocolate chips in the house (also not a fan). I know, I'm odd. But I'm happy that you enjoy something so simple.

Since I would never have those two ingredients in the house I couldn't call it a desperation dessert. It would take advance planning, a trip to TJ's and a spark of @rotuts inspiration. But it's in the dinner thread, so that elevates it to a main. Add milk and it would be breakfast. Or, in my case, lunch. Okay, sold.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Got a head start on tonight's dinner plus a couple of future dinners.
Made a batch of my favourite pork, garlic and fresh basil meatballs.
PorkGarlicandBasilMeatballsJuly2nd2024.thumb.jpg.d84beaaf3dea9259709ca7ac2d685ef7.jpg
Just finished frying.

Going to freeze half for another day and the other half will be simmered in a pot of sauce and dinner will be spaghetti and meatballs.
These also make a wonderful meatball sub.
  • Like 6
  • Delicious 5

A couple years ago I found a store bought spaghetti sauce that was better tasting than any I'd tried before.  Charlie told me it was from a local restaurant and he'd eaten there, and it was very good.  We have gone together a couple of times.  They are best known for their chicken Spiedini.  While at the store a couple days ago I saw some packaged chicken spiedini from that same restaurant so I got a package and a bottle of their sauce and made it today.  It tastes pretty much the same way as it did when we ate there this year, about a week before Fathers Day.

IMG_1689.jpg

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

I meant to take a photo because it was rather pretty, but forgot. I had a baked potato with spinach and cottage cheese and Duvel's Dust (German paprika salt). I'd been sick all day and that was just what the doctor ordered.

• Like 6

Deb

Liberty, MO

@Ann_T, meatballs are such a pain to make but when I see yours I can imagine maybe going to trouble again sometime. Nice job!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Charlie was telling a friend just now that I used to make these a lot when he was in elementary school and he'd eat one on his way to school.  School was only 4 blocks away.

I originally made 6 at a time, then 8, now I made 12  eggs this time.  They always run out too quickly. 4 are already gone and they just came out of the oven ( I ate 2 of them)

There are several versions of where Scotch Eggs originated but the most likely one, in my opinion, is that they were first sold in 1830's in an English costal town at an eatery called William Scott and Sons.  They were called Scotties but later the name  became Scotch Eggs. Originally they were coated with a rich creamy fish paste before being sprinkled with bread crumbs. Sausage replaced the fish paste merely for packaging reasons.  The source of this information says that he recently visited that town and they still use fish paste.  The recipe I have been using for the last few years comes from a cookbook titled "Irish Bar Food".  I like it not only because it tastes better than other recipes I have used  but it is baked instead of frying.  The coating tends to shrink and pull away from places on some eggs when deep fried. 

IMG_1690.jpg

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

I bought another of the small but tasty meatloaves from my milkman. That and the tater tots were impulse buys. Pardon my presentation. I mangled the meat loaf getting it to my plate. All is delish. Have my Duvel Dust on the tots. And a glass of my cheap but good cartignan.

image.thumb.png.c4989aaaf9d6f39f468ea0b192ad6d93.png

image.thumb.png.c5392dc37588262cdf6c6f0267313ec4.png

• Like 1

Deb

Liberty, MO