• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2024

liuzhou

A dual celebratory dinner for a family birthday and finishing freeing vehicles, clearing the parking area and access to the road.

My plate of dry rub pork back ribs, filet beans (from last summer), corn bread, coleslaw, braised kale and collards (also from last summer) and mac & cheese from a box. Also honey butter for the bread, pickled red onions and a lemon cheesecake to finish.

Went to bed an hour after cleaning up and slept for nine hours.

DSCN1717.thumb.JPG.03e4f5e8f9580d334965e3b6060610d4.JPG

• Like 16
  • Delicious 2

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

1 hour ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

A dual celebratory dinner for a family birthday and finishing freeing vehicles, clearing the parking area and access to the road.

My plate of dry rub pork back ribs, filet beans (from last summer), corn bread, coleslaw, braised kale and collards (also from last summer) and mac & cheese from a box. Also honey butter for the bread, pickled red onions and a lemon cheesecake to finish.

Went to bed an hour after cleaning up and slept for nine hours.

DSCN1717.thumb.JPG.03e4f5e8f9580d334965e3b6060610d4.JPG

With a meal like that, you could be in Kansas City!! Looks wonderful.

• Like 1

Deb

Liberty, MO

1 hour ago, Maison Rustique said:

With a meal like that, you could be in Kansas City!! Looks wonderful.

Thanks. I was aiming for a taste of summer as a contrast to all the snow we've received and 'relocated'.

• Like 3

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

Butternut squash ravioli (made in-house at local Italian deli).  Topped with browned butter, a bit of bacon, fresh basil and TJ's imported parm shards (1st time purchased and really like their size, texture over grated parm).  

butternut.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

Taco de lengua (keto-friendly, due to dietary restrictions). Pressure-cooked beef tongue (75 min on high), cream, guac, pico de gallo and shredded yellow cheese. Shell was made with almond flour and whey protein powder, plus perfected xanthan gum, fried in avocado oil. 

image.thumb.png.dc5686b1596bd29e9f35515d63807c76.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

It was a beige dinner last night…breaded chicken thighs on a bed of roasted onions and taters, all were tender and delicious!

Hazelnut cake with chocolate sauce and  sour cream.

IMG_5601.jpeg

IMG_5598.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 2

That hazelnut cake with chocolate sauce looks delicious Olyveoly 

We had Salmon with broccolini and orzo cooked with garlic butter and parsley. Little bits of home preserved lemon. 

8F5341A5-4BA0-493D-9D6D-02CA8251108B.jpeg.88a85767682f0b8827c503069008beca.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

3 hours ago, Porthos said:

Lasagna with freshly-made ricotta.

20240210_184357.jpg

You're making your own ricotta? Details, please!

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

10 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I want the head! Best part!

I agree - it was amazing when we had it in Singapore - it was huge with tons of meat, but I can't get good sized fish heads unless I get a whole fish which I usually don't because it's just the two of us or if I go to Chinatown which I don't have time for on a regular basis.

• Like 1

It’s not that unusual, that these two events coincide, so yesterday we had “Chinese New Year meets (German) Carnival) …

Hot pot (with a bit of Oden touch) …

IMG_2557.thumb.jpeg.e003ea85ae6ebae085daba20d006caff.jpeg

IMG_2559.thumb.jpeg.55a2c2fdfdc26475587a29132cf2bcb0.jpeg

IMG_2561.thumb.jpeg.4c98cdcf0f0601e8f90d858207b3a2b0.jpeg

Followed by Fastnachtsküchle - ultrathin and super crisp wafers made from a sweet dough and deepfried (in lard 🥳), before being dusted with caster sugar. 

IMG_2562.thumb.jpeg.58705ba3a6be03f94ee86c67a2672e09.jpeg

No complaints 🤗

• Like 13
  • Delicious 4

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

@Duvel Is there hot oil in one of those yin/yangs?

Nope - the other 2/3 of the family are a bit squeamish about spicy stuff. Half is a (Chinese) chicken/ham/mushroom based stock, the other is a (Japanese) dashi/kombu/yuzu peel stock …

The hot oil is in one of the three sauce options 😎

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 1

@Smithy I used the recipe from She Loves Biscotti. I've only made ricotta once before, different recipe.  I used whole milk. I used a spider to remove the curds and they were dry within a few minutes. Next time, quite a ways in the future,  I'll check the curds when I'm done removing them. I would have preferred it slightly more creamy.

The Lasagna recipe I used I've had for 50 years. I rarely make it.  We get 4 meals out of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

29 minutes ago, Porthos said:

@Smithy I used the recipe from She Loves Biscotti. I've only made ricotta once before, different recipe.  I used whole milk. I used a spider to remove the curds and they were dry within a few minutes. Next time, quite a ways in the future,  I'll check the curds when I'm done removing them. I would have preferred it slightly more creamy.

The Lasagna recipe I used I've had for 50 years. I rarely make it.  We get 4 meals out of it.

Thanks for that. I tried making ricotta once and was unimpressed...but thinking back on it, I haven't usually been impressed with store-bought ricotta, either!

Care to share your lasagna recipe? Did you used to do that for the Renaissance Faires?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

5 hours ago, Smithy said:

Thanks for that. I tried making ricotta once and was unimpressed...but thinking back on it, I haven't usually been impressed with store-bought ricotta, either!

We need to talk about ricotta. Fresh, homemade ricotta is wonderful! And super versatile. Regarding store-bought, the one from Trader Joe’s is surprisingly good as well!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1