• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2024

liuzhou

8 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

I don't know what I want more. @liuzhou your lamb and rice dish or  @Shelbyyour chicken tostadas.

If you eat Chinese style, you can have both together! It is very unusual to just have one dish for dinner. Never seen @Shelby's dish in China. though. Unfortunately.

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

19 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

I have some lamb in the freezer that I would like to use to make this dish.  I looked up recipes and the one that I found has a lot of carrots in the dish.  I hate carrots.  

Your dish looks like it has peppers rather than carrots.  And is that potato in it as well?   

This is the recipe I found. Can I substitute peppers or something else for the carrots? 

https://thewoksoflife.com/lamb-rice/

Yes, the red in my meal was chilli peppers. There was no potato though. It was a delivery meal, so I didn't cook it and I can't remember what that white piece at approx 7 o'clock in my picture was. If you forced me to guess, I'd say it was a clove of garlic. Good excuse to order it again, just to check!

I find The Woks of Life website a very unreliable source of information.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, liuzhou said:

find The Woks of Life website a very unreliable source of information

If I remember their blurb correctly, this is a group of young Chinese American people that are trying to recreate the recipes that they remember from their childhood. Mostly by trial and error.

Honey, siracha, soy and ginger glazed salmon, avocado, ‘jammy’ boiled egg, spicy slaw, sweet and sour cucumber served over coriander and lime rice with a rice wine, soy and ginger dressing 

B14D7592-21A4-42D9-978D-1E285D92795E.jpeg

Edited by mazza
Typo (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 3

Born and bred in the Scottish Highlands, now living in South East England 

By request from DH, we had hot dogs last night.  Hebrew Nat’l, Amora French mustard, sautéed onions with a little cumin, homemade kraut with a few caraway seeds. The bun was a toasted French brioche from TJ.

Fries were shoestrings courtesy of McCain.

Dessert was a pear gratin with almond flour, toasted almonds on top, this was really nice warm.

IMG_5376.jpeg

FullSizeRender.jpeg

IMG_5386.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 5

1 hour ago, Tropicalsenior said:

If I remember their blurb correctly, this is a group of young Chinese American people that are trying to recreate the recipes that they remember from their childhood. Mostly by trial and error.

Yes/. Mostly by error, from what I've seen.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

It's a Chinese American nuclear family (father, mother, two adult daughters) who lived in Beijing for a few years and are now back in NY, trying to recreate what they had while still in Beijing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Andew Zimmern had (has?) a show on HBO where he would visit with various families making food together.... they were one of the first episodes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was breaking down three pork butts to make sausage a few days ago and decided to save these steaks for another use.  

IMG_20240111_174404615_HDR.thumb.jpg.1cba1a6d1f0029a6ffc5c036ca52ca06.jpg

And the use was a recipe for pork chops and sage from Jamie's Italy.  I had been eyeing this recipe for awhile and finally bought some dried apricots for the stuffing.  The stuffing is a paste of butter, garlic, prosciutto and apricots.  Served with a simple green salad.  I will definitely be preparing this recipe again.

IMG_20240111_190048238_HDR.thumb.jpg.8e3886d3325d7732e59edd81cfbbc545.jpg

IMG_20240111_190108279.thumb.jpg.827defd96b7350a255b9d850abd7cc63.jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 4

1 hour ago, Steve Irby said:

I was breaking down three pork butts to make sausage a few days ago and decided to save these steaks for another use.  

IMG_20240111_174404615_HDR.thumb.jpg.1cba1a6d1f0029a6ffc5c036ca52ca06.jpg

And the use was a recipe for pork chops and sage from Jamie's Italy.  I had been eyeing this recipe for awhile and finally bought some dried apricots for the stuffing.  The stuffing is a paste of butter, garlic, prosciutto and apricots.  Served with a simple green salad.  I will definitely be preparing this recipe again.

IMG_20240111_190048238_HDR.thumb.jpg.8e3886d3325d7732e59edd81cfbbc545.jpg

IMG_20240111_190108279.thumb.jpg.827defd96b7350a255b9d850abd7cc63.jpg

Beautiful, can you provide me with more information? Temp, technique, seasoning? The results leave my mouth watering and such a humble ingredient!

@Ann_T

I had the Xinjiang Polo (Lamb over Fried Rice) dish above for lunch again, today and confirm there were no potatoes or carrots harmed in its making. There was however, carrot in the accompanying side of stir fried beg.

I'm sorry, but I still have no better explanation for what we both saw as possible potato in the photo I posted.

I look forward to seeing your version, if you get round to making it.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

I'm trying to add more fish to our diet.  Specifically because the low sodium diet suggests more fish and chicken over beef and pork.

I'm okay with chicken, could eat it any time, but other than halibut I really don't care for fish.

Thankfully, Moe does like fish.

Last week we had Atlantic Salmon which we both enjoyed.   And yesterday I bought two different pieces of fish, both fresh.  Icelandic Cod and Steelhead.

FreshIcelandicCodandFreshSteelheadJanuary11th2024.thumb.jpg.f3801947bde1f44124ff2f4e26ef7480.jpg

Prepared them both the same way, pan seared and finished in the oven. Served with a garlic, lemon butter, roasted potatoes and broccoli.

FreshIcelandicCodandFreshSteelheadJanuary11th20241.thumb.jpg.66cb1c85a813dad3dae080d1bfae91db.jpg

Moe had the cod which he really enjoyed.  Beautiful big moist white flakes. 

FreshIcelandicCodandFreshSteelheadJanuary11th20243.thumb.jpg.a0d0a358a7a38e347d6d457a22d45ee0.jpg

I was happy enough with the Steelhead.  Same colour as salmon but 

a mild, like trout. 

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 6

8 hours ago, billyhill said:

Beautiful, can you provide me with more information? Temp, technique, seasoning? The results leave my mouth watering and such a humble ingredient!

Thanks, Here's a copy of the recipe from a blog.  Pretty much like the recipe as published with the omission of ingredients by weight.  The original recipe called for floury potatoes so I used russets.  I used pancetta for that delicious stuffing and Wright thick cut bacon roasted with the potatoes.   If you want to gild the lily you could make a pan gravy after searing the chops.   

Costolette di Maiale con Salvia (Pork Chops with Sage)

Serves 4

2-1/2 lb. all-purpose potatoes, peeled and diced
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 thick pork chops, on the bone
24 fresh sage leaves
1 bulb of garlic
4 slices of prosciutto
4 tablespoons butter, finely diced
4 dried apricots
extra virgin olive oil
flour
6 thick strips of pancetta or bacon (1/2 inch thick, if possible), or an 8-oz. package of pancetta lardons

Preheat the oven to 425°F. Put your potatoes into a pot of salted water and bring to a boil. Give them 3 or 4 minutes - you only want to parboil them - then drain them and allow them to steam dry. Lay your pork chops on a board and insert a small paring knife horizontally into the side of each chop to make a hidden pocket. Make sure the tip of your knife stays in the middle of the chop, as you don't want to cut through the meat to either side. Be careful -watch your fingers!

Set aside 8 of the largest sage leaves. Add 8 more leaves to your food processor with a peeled clove of garlic, the prosciutto, butter, apricots, and a pinch of salt and pepper and give it a whiz. This is now a beautifully flavored butter that can be divided between the pork chops and pushed into the pockets.

Dress the 8 large sage leaves that you set aside with a little oil and press one side of them into some flour. Press a leaf, flour side down, onto each side of the chops (so you have 2 leaves on each chop). Leave the chops on a plate, covered with plastic wrap, to come to room temperature while you get your potatoes ready.

If you're using thick strips of pancetta, slice them into matchsticks, as thick as a pencil. Put them into a large roasting pan, with your potatoes, the remaining sage leaves, and the rest of your whole unpeeled garlic cloves. Drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil and put the pan into the preheated oven.

After 10 minutes, put a frying pan on the burner and get it very hot. Add a touch of olive oil and put in your seasoned pork chops. Fry for 10 minutes, until golden and crisp on both sides, then remove the pan of potatoes from the oven - they should be nice and light golden by now - and place the chops on top. Put the pan back into the oven for 10-15 minutes, depending on how thick the chops are, then remove the pan from the oven and serve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

@Ann_T - looks fantastic, cod is amazing and you are lucky to be on the coast with access to such fresh options!  

I love keeping things simple and efficient.  In this case, the wings are giving their goodness to the veg below…and cleanup is super easy.  

IMG_5762.thumb.jpeg.5e23e540f38bc4bd0cfa920919def467.jpeg

IMG_5765.thumb.jpeg.d81a1e9e4c4a8e251746494836df02fb.jpeg

and a slaw with a green goddess’esque dressing

IMG_5763.thumb.jpeg.8df4faf90d6bcfddb26a1dd882f3586e.jpeg 

• Like 11
  • Delicious 3

@TicTac

unusual technique.  very clever  .

Id bet very tasty.

is that on an outdoor BBQ 

an indoor oven w a drip pan at the bottom ?

Ill be keeping that in mind.  

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

When I read the temperature and then the forecast this morning I know it had to be soup for dinner tonight.  Ham and bean soup this time, now cooking away in the crockpot.  

The meat packing shop has the most amazing hm shanks, very big and meaty, they make wonderful soups.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

@TicTac

unusual technique.  very clever  .

Id bet very tasty.

is that on an outdoor BBQ 

an indoor oven w a drip pan at the bottom ?

Ill be keeping that in mind.  

Thank you.

Indeed, I cycle through a variety of veg at the bottom.  This time it was steamed carrots/potatoes (otherwise they do not crisp up well enough) and some fennel. 

It is just a large rack that I place over a pyrex then into the oven it goes. 

The veg certainly benefit from the drippings.  I then deglaze the pyrex and use the liquid as a stock booster.

This method works great with all types of chicken (especially whole), beef, pork - you name it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

While most Japanese recipes suggest you grill or broil collars; I think the ultimate prep is braising.  The resulting collage and fat coupled with a reduced liquid makes for the perfect sauce to go with rice.  
IMG_5767.thumb.jpeg.818b94fd1bfd07307e6a3b752d899011.jpeg

72676868612__5935458F-0A88-4A07-B315-B2FB6506519D.thumb.jpeg.3bdb4fca8677d708292159bc4e2affce.jpeg

kampachi, tuna, and seared lions mane…

IMG_5768.thumb.jpeg.12cb492e6590fbcab332cca71e689767.jpeg

IMG_5769.thumb.jpeg.ba3de46b1f2f743b8cb4e883b3ab6d54.jpeg

IMG_5770.thumb.jpeg.1d8bc740d7f058234882d9898b6f4200.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 3