• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2024

liuzhou

13 hours ago, Maison Rustique said:

That pineapple looks delicious!

No photo because I was starving, but I had a meatloaf sandwich with s/p, plenty of mayo and sharp cheddar. Potato chips. Pinot grigio because that's what was open in the fridge. Delicious. Meatloaf sandwiches might be my very favorite food.

Mayo with meatloaf is great...but consider Russian dressing.....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Eggplant dumplings from Ottolenghi’s Flavor with some stewed kale from a Pepin book. Diced eggplants get roasted in the oven, mashed and mixed with panko breadcrumbs, ricotta, parmesan, flour, parsley, basil, garlic and eggs. Formed into dumplings before panfried. Quick tomato sauce by pureeing tomatoes and cooking it with tomato paste, sugar, chili flakes, paprika and oregano. You mix the dumplings with the tomato sauce and bake it in the oven before finishing it with some olives, parmesan and basil.

The kale is simply stewed with some garlic, chili flakes and water. 

IMG_9489.thumb.jpeg.2e6c587935b5f68caf6a65b575919f31.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

A few recent dinners.

Pulled pork, mushroom and cheddar dip on toasted baguette with mixed green and tomato salad. Enjoyed with a Nine Locks 'Bohemian Raspberry Berliner Weisse' sour. This was an excellent sour and a keeper..

Haddock, ham, cheddar and greens on toasted WW bagel with a tomato and cucumber salad. I would like to say enjoyed with a Breton Brewing Grapefruit IPA however the IPA was disappointing.

Caught up on a week of the Breakfast and Dinner topics. Lots of good looking food.

PulledPorkMushroomandCheddaronBaguette.thumb.JPG.1906ab2923fec11b76853abab129bade.JPG

HamHaddockCheddarandGreensonWWBagel.thumb.JPG.f971daf9fec39c1d66176d755db0920a.JPG

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

7 hours ago, Honkman said:

Eggplant dumplings from Ottolenghi’s Flavor with some stewed kale from a Pepin book. Diced eggplants get roasted in the oven, mashed and mixed with panko breadcrumbs, ricotta, parmesan, flour, parsley, basil, garlic and eggs. Formed into dumplings before panfried. Quick tomato sauce by pureeing tomatoes and cooking it with tomato paste, sugar, chili flakes, paprika and oregano. You mix the dumplings with the tomato sauce and bake it in the oven before finishing it with some olives, parmesan and basil.

The kale is simply stewed with some garlic, chili flakes and water. 

IMG_9489.thumb.jpeg.2e6c587935b5f68caf6a65b575919f31.jpeg

OMG! Those eggplant dumplings!! I'd likely not make them just for myself, but they look wonderful!

• Thanks 1

Deb

Liberty, MO

12 minutes ago, dcarch said:

Hosta shoots are delicious, and free.

Chicken with mushroom sauce on Hosta shoots.

dcarchHostachickenmushroomsauve2024.thumb.jpg.b4c2fd560f24eb8f126fe3c9ffb559a3.jpg

Hostachickenmushroomsauve2024a.thumb.jpg.f8d451d99b3cb428c0c011af8e28011e.jpg

I had no idea hostas were edible! You learn something new every day...

• Like 1

Deb

Liberty, MO

57 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Looks different and interesting. Would you care to share the recipe? Thank you.

Thanks! Not really a recipe, just Thai/Vietnamese-inspired cucumber salad that was missing a few ingredients that would have made it better (sliced shallot, rice vinegar, cilantro, maybe slivered ginger).

If I recall:

Peel (optional), seed, and slice an appropriate number of cucumbers (one for me)

Slice a chile or two of your preferred heat level (I used a bird chile; serrano or jalapeno also works)

Mix lime juice and sugar "to taste" (I used white sugar, palm or brown sugar also works). You can also dilute with a little water if desired.

Add salt or fish sauce "to taste"

Mix everything together and let it sit for 20 minutes or so. Adjust seasoning "to taste" (noticing a theme? :laugh:)

End result should have chile heat to taste, salt to taste, and balanced sweet sour (you guessed it) to taste. You can make the flavor "cleaner" with salt and white sugar, or a mix of lime juice and rice vinegar. If you want more funky use fish sauce for salt and sweeten with palm/brown sugar.

Cilantro and sliced shallots would have improved the salad, but I was out. I will happily eat leftovers the next day.

I hope that helps?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, C. sapidus said:

Thanks! Not really a recipe,

Thank you. I love cucumber salad and I'm always looking for something new and interesting and this sounds perfect. Just have to pick up some limes at the grocery store today.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

@mgaretz

where did you get those bangers ?

Ive never had  the type of banger here

like the ones Ive had at B&B's all over GB and Ireland. 

Id love to find them

these were finely ground

a bit like weiswurst , but  the light brown in color, rather than grey

they were consistently the same all over GB.

in B&B's   

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

Another cold shrimp and pasta salad.  This time I added toasted panko (with lemon zest and garlic).  

This is hottest time of year here, just before the rains start.  It's been hitting mid-90s; once the rains start we'll drop to 80 most days. 

The next village over, San Antonio Tlaycapan has its Fiesta to its patron saint, St. Anthony de Padua.  His feast day is June 13th.  Locals vow that the rains begin on that date.  And they often do, give or take a few days.  

shrimpsaladpasta.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Lamb ragu with fettuccine from the That Noodle Life book - bone-in lamb shoulder chops are braised in a sauce made from pancetta, onion, carrot, celery, tomato paste, white wine and beef broth and afterwards shredded before mixing with the pasta, peas and mint. Finished with some parmesan

IMG_9491.thumb.jpeg.eef12297a5a84e2f6a5766f56cacd382.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 1

4 hours ago, Fiona So said:

image.png.5480b840af596ec369193bf9eb47c4b3.png

Roasted Lamb with Gnocchi and veggie, Dessert: Chocolate Mousse and Caramel Sauce

WhatsAppImage2024-06-05at20_54_11.thumb.jpeg.fe3055e85d175e3b9ea7c0459cba4022.jpeg

How did you get that shape on the mousse?  Also, did you spray it with some kind of cocoa powder to give it that texture?

Slow-cooked lamb with cassia bark, bay leaf, dried chilli, star anise, garlic, chickpeas and finished with fresh mint allowed to wilt in the residual heat. Served with rice and steamed asparagus.

lamb.jpg.0569c01f44d7c3545a9a735075b61913.jpg

• Like 8

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Taiwanese beef noodle soup (with an 5 min egg added due to popular demand) and potato mochi (or imo mochi, いももち), as per little ones request.

IMG_4212.thumb.jpeg.b08899fbdff855be433c63490cf39d18.jpeg

No complaints 🤗

• Like 14
  • Delicious 2

Seared scallops with mushrooms and sweet potato. Welcome home meal for Mrs. C. Mushrooms were dry-fried to concentrate the flavor. Scallops were seared with butter and rosemary in a cast iron pan. Deglazed the pan with port and heavy cream to make the sauce. Sweet potatoes were cubed, boiled, and whipped with butter and heavy cream.

Scallop_musroom_sweetpotato_202406.thumb.jpg.b34e0bb583f4c8d35ff83e3e8fa2b12e.jpg

Haven't seared scallops for a while so a test batch was necessary. :laugh:

Scallop_musroom_sweetpotato_202406-2.thumb.jpg.5be54b3421218def2e50928a3885c361.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 7