• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thanksgiving (US) 2023

gulfporter

11 minutes ago, BeeZee said:

That was more or less my thought, reheat at 300F so it comes to temp a bit slower. The filling is a fig/olive tapenade, so it isn’t very moist.

As long as the meat comes back to 147°F, you're good to go. Just please do it as gently as possible.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

My husband and I had our quiet, probably-not-fussy Thanksgiving dinner planned. Roast pork, hasselback potato casserole, green beans, cranberry salad, maybe creamed corn for him. Dessert to be announced, or maybe to be ignored. There are just the two of us, after all; one doesn't eat much any more and the other shouldn't.

RIGHT AFTER I left the grocery store, I got an invitation for us to come to friends' for Thanksgiving dinner! So...I'm cooking and bringing the green beans with bacon as our contribution, along with some wine. We'll have our private feast on Friday or Saturday. Not bad, eh?

• Like 13

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

a Happy thanksgiving to all .

from yesterday's ' Food ' NYTimes :

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/20/dining/lubys-cafeteria-thanksgiving.html?searchResultPosition=1

Ive enjoyed some very fine BBQ visiting my sister in TX in the past

but I must say , not this meal , from Luby's :

2222.thumb.jpg.348249c4bdaedb00065045d7cc2398a7.jpg

looks mighty fine to me .

Happy Thanksgiving , one more time.

from the article :

''''  Thanksgiving Day, when the chain serves 152,000 customers and 57,000 pounds of turkey. Though the cost of turkey has surged in recent years, he said he’s tried to keep prices as low as possible.  '''

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, rotuts said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/20/dining/lubys-cafeteria-thanksgiving.html?searchResultPosition=1

looks mighty fine to me .

Happy Thanksgiving , one more time.

from the article :

''''  Thanksgiving Day, when the chain serves 152,000 customers and 57,000 pounds of turkey. Though the cost of turkey has surged in recent years, he said he’s tried to keep prices as low as possible.  '''

Happy Thanksgiving to you!

I've gotten my French bread all sliced and buttered.  Going to heat it up a bit here at home and then hopefully there is room in an oven at the inlaws.  If not.  Oh well.  I'm slowly becoming less worried about little things like that lol.  Maybe.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, rotuts said:

@Shelby 

love to sesame , or more

of your  Thanksgiving pics

I'll give it my best shot......my inlaws aren't really food picture takers so it's awkward if you know what I mean.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, rotuts said:

'

The food on that plate is all touching other food.  😉

• Haha 7
  • Confused 1

Ottolenghi's Sweet and Smoky Chicken.  First time using oven in our Tucson home.  Skin was super crispy.  It's a quasi molé and the sweet potatoes were part of the recipe.  Cranberry sauce was courtesy of a can opener 🥫

tdaytray1.jpg

tday plated.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 5

The recipe from Yotam Ottolenghi https://ottolenghi.co.uk/recipes/sweet-and-smoky-mexican-chicken

Adding my changes to the recipe.  I didn't want the sauce covering everything.  I made the "sauce" into a paste and schmeared half of it over the chicken which I marinated overnight.  The rest of the paste I thinned with some chicken broth so it could be served at the table. 

Here's my notes, ottorecipe.thumb.jpg.c06035365767ff9db6d2a21f8c49ce38.jpg

Edited by gulfporter
Showing changes to recipe (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

At our house as usual. But I made other people do some of the work. 
Turkey, cornbread dressing, Hasselback sweet potatoes, my grandmothers cranberry relish, my aunt’s fried okra/squash combo, Brussels sprouts, mashed potatoes. I made gravy from ATK no drippings gravy. Was really tasty.

Dessert was almond torte with cherry compote and crispy almonds. No one really likes pumpkin here 🤷‍♀️.

IMG_4590.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 9

3 hours ago, gulfporter said:

Ottolenghi's Sweet and Smoky Chicken.  First time using oven in our Tucson home.  Skin was super crispy.  It's a quasi molé and the sweet potatoes were part of the recipe.  Cranberry sauce was courtesy of a can opener 🥫

tdaytray1.jpg

tday plated.jpg

I will definitely try that - looks fabulous. I'm in Canada so Thanksgiving is long gone but I'm making a sheet pan Greek Chicken Thighs and Veggies tonight: https://downshiftology.com/recipes/greek-sheet-pan-chicken/#wprm-recipe-container-55213

Pita and tsatziki on the side.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Smoked turkey, greens, au gratin potatoes, smoked yams, stuffing, cranberry onion compote, jalapeno cornbread

20231123_202225.thumb.jpg.3b72edb26e97e8ce811c35dd122aa4d4.jpg

Everything looks delicious. The smoked yams are calling my name. I often season yams/sweet potatoes with smoked paprika, I'll get my husband to do some yams next time he fires up the smoker. How do you do them?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

Everything looks delicious. The smoked yams are calling my name. I often season yams/sweet potatoes with smoked paprika, I'll get my husband to do some yams next time he fires up the smoker. How do you do them?

I cheat on the yams. 😀 I add liquid smoke and some allspice.

I wonder how much smoke would penetrate a yam...

The turkey is really smoked though.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, gfweb said:

I cheat on the yams. 😀 I add liquid smoke and some allspice.

I wonder how much smoke would penetrate a yam...

The turkey is really smoked though.

No shame - I was just intrigued with the idea of smoke with yams/sweet potatoes. I love them but sometimes I want a little more savory with the sweet.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

No shame - I was just intrigued with the idea of smoke with yams/sweet potatoes. I love them but sometimes I want a little more savory with the sweet.

That was the plan for the yams. I too was tired of marshmallows etc and wanted savory.  The dish is a family staple now. I hear about it from my daughter if its not at Thanksgiving. 

• Like 4

The turkey roulade, which had a fig/olive tapenade filling, worked out really well. Cooked yesterday a few degrees shy of done, refrigerated overnight. Sliced and shingled in a pan, drizzled some stock over, covered and left it in the oven at low temp to finish cooking while also reheating the side dishes.

PXL_20231123_200908269_Original.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 5

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

1 hour ago, gfweb said:

That was the plan for the yams. I too was tired of marshmallows etc and wanted savory.  The dish is a family staple now. I hear about it from my daughter if its not at Thanksgiving. 

Fortunately, I think, the whole marshmallow with sweet potatoes never caught on in my neck of the woods. I know there are people who love it but I just can't wrap my head around it.

• Like 3

We're Americans living in South Africa. The last couple of years we've done a pretty traditional Thanksgiving here, which was fun. 

This year, we had decided instead to go to our favorite Chinese Hot Pot restaurant to celebrate. However, late in the game we ended up taking in three children from a bad situation (friends of our kids). They'll be staying with us while their mom gets treatment. Because of their background, hot pot was not likely to go over well, so we cobbled together a last minute meal.

We roasted some carrots, got corn and green beans, mashed potatoes and even found a jar of cranberry sauce that was quite nice.

For the meat ... We first tried to order a couple of roasted chickens from two different places, but kept striking out (not available, out of stock). By the end of the mad scramble we had one roasted chicken and one bucket from KFC (which is far better in this country than my experiences back home).

Store bought apple pie to finish it off. There was some kind of 'pumpkin pie' but it was terrible. We had fun, despite the chaos and less than ideal circumstances. It was the first Thanksgiving meal these kids have ever eaten, and their diet in general has been pretty poor up til now. Kind of reminds you why we stop to be thankful in the first place!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 10

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

10 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

Fortunately, I think, the whole marshmallow with sweet potatoes never caught on in my neck of the woods. I know there are people who love it but I just can't wrap my head around it.

Me too,  I prefer the savory versions.

If I may paraphrase @gfweb, just looking at some of the

sweet dishes makes my teeth hurt.

Edited by lindag (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1