• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

Little one is sick at home with a bacterial throat thing … so after two days of his beloved chicken soup (made a huuuge batch two days ago) with ABC noodles he requested “something else” today (means he is getting better). After some inquiry he opted for Ramen, which is … soup with noodles 🙄

So: some homemade chicken soup with added dashi and dark soy sauce, spaghetti and some off-the-shelf toppings made him a very happy camper …

IMG_1651.thumb.jpeg.c3d37e83edf33ee282c265fb27b96178.jpeg

I had a greek salad and my first air fryer chicken wings (finally got one - thank you, eG enablers) …

IMG_1652.thumb.jpeg.15a2ba19c370e7429ced49b58276490d.jpeg

No complaints (whatsoever) 🤗

• Like 21
  • Delicious 2

From last night, salmon pinwheels with spinach and feta, haricots verts. All items are from Trader Joe’s; the green beans are frozen and the salmon is fresh / vacuumed-sealed with the herb and feta filling. Ten minutes in the oven under the broiler, and dinner was ready! I added some olive oil and lemon juice before serving. It was very tasty and super easy.

Salmon pinwheels with spinach and feta, haricots verts

• Like 20
  • Delicious 1

@Shelby – whenever you post a few days’ worth of meals, I become suddenly dissatisfied with what I’ve got available 😁!  I now want meatballs and pizza and RIBS 😍 and, always broccoli salad (which I made last week). 

@Duvel – thank you so much for posting the Christmas market pictures!  I truly cannot get enough of them.  Not to mention that gorgeous sauerbraten! 

@C. sapidus  – was the salmon cake bought at a grocery store or a fish shop? I’ve never seen a store made one, but I’d definitely try it if I saw it! 

@FrogPrincesse – I’ve put those salmon pinwheels on my TJ shopping list! 

I confess that I’m more like @liamsaunt’s brother and @MaryIsobel’s husband when it comes to vegetables.  I like a LOT more than they seem to, but there are so many that I find repugnant – all squash, bell peppers, chard, mushrooms, zucchini, eggplant, etc., etc.  Oddly, though, I’ve always liked the ones that most children don’t – broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, and Brussel sprouts.  And I like some raw that I don’t care for cooked – carrots and cabbage, for instance. 

Jessica made a couple of the last few dinners that we’ve had at home.  One night we started with a gorgeous salad (she really excels at salads and dressings):

IMG_4995.JPG.2bfbb4e6dcc30cac97bd7081599ddf78.JPG

Chicken Kiev (frozen), Rice-A-Roni, glazed carrots (no idea why they are so dark), and street corn:

IMG_4996.JPG.ed2a6e8017d8cea7c75db49db714cb50.JPG

Last night she made chicken enchiladas.  With Spanish rice and fiesta potatoes:

IMG_5035.JPG.52d031eab9f6a1545115ef5743818696.JPG

IMG_5036.JPG.1427a6c7eb039010cdbc91b35df83368.JPG

SO good!  Both meals were a mixture of leftovers and freezer food, so she’s definitely meeting the December brief! 

I did it again:

IMG_5051.JPG.0ff18f32bcabd99245266b0d8ee3c9c8.JPG

IMG_5052.JPG.64108087fb0a94d1b7e4cbb2ae02119a.JPG

IMG_5053.JPG.a08d15fda7fe2066183c3ec2d7793f0e.JPG

IMG_5054.JPG.d179098a00f2c0ba008fa8c2d1e590e7.JPG

My plate:

IMG_5055.JPG.03d5ee5b581c8d1e3189ad22f8e38906.JPG

Pepperoni pizza and some sausage gravy on a Hawaiian roll.  Jessica’s was more interesting:

IMG_5056.jpg.58ec1a0acfd1033785a72f43989a9459.jpg

She had some leftover potatoes that she put a cream sauce she’d made on and she used the French toast, some ham, Swiss cheese, and cranberry sauce to make a sort of Monte Cristo. 

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 16

10 hours ago, liuzhou said:

What is everything? I could guess but I'd hate to insult you by getting it wrong!

Walnuts, avocado/green onions/hot sauce, cheddar cheese, Wasa rye crackers, and a glass of milk! The glass the milk is in used to be a German mustard jar. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, SusieQ said:

Walnuts, avocado/green onions/hot sauce, cheddar cheese, Wasa rye crackers, and a glass of milk! The glass the milk is in used to be a German mustard jar. 

Thanks. I mostly guessed right! Only the crackers eluded me, but then I am not familiar with that brand.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

2 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@Shelby – whenever you post a few days’ worth of meals, I become suddenly dissatisfied with what I’ve got available 😁!  I now want meatballs and pizza and RIBS 😍 and, always broccoli salad (which I made last week). 

@Duvel – thank you so much for posting the Christmas market pictures!  I truly cannot get enough of them.  Not to mention that gorgeous sauerbraten! 

@C. sapidus  – was the salmon cake bought at a grocery store or a fish shop? I’ve never seen a store made one, but I’d definitely try it if I saw it! 

@FrogPrincesse – I’ve put those salmon pinwheels on my TJ shopping list! 

I confess that I’m more like @liamsaunt’s brother and @MaryIsobel’s husband when it comes to vegetables.  I like a LOT more than they seem to, but there are so many that I find repugnant – all squash, bell peppers, chard, mushrooms, zucchini, eggplant, etc., etc.  Oddly, though, I’ve always liked the ones that most children don’t – broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, and Brussel sprouts.  And I like some raw that I don’t care for cooked – carrots and cabbage, for instance. 

Jessica made a couple of the last few dinners that we’ve had at home.  One night we started with a gorgeous salad (she really excels at salads and dressings):

IMG_4995.JPG.2bfbb4e6dcc30cac97bd7081599ddf78.JPG

Chicken Kiev (frozen), Rice-A-Roni, glazed carrots (no idea why they are so dark), and street corn:

IMG_4996.JPG.ed2a6e8017d8cea7c75db49db714cb50.JPG

Last night she made chicken enchiladas.  With Spanish rice and fiesta potatoes:

IMG_5035.JPG.52d031eab9f6a1545115ef5743818696.JPG

IMG_5036.JPG.1427a6c7eb039010cdbc91b35df83368.JPG

SO good!  Both meals were a mixture of leftovers and freezer food, so she’s definitely meeting the December brief! 

I did it again:

IMG_5051.JPG.0ff18f32bcabd99245266b0d8ee3c9c8.JPG

IMG_5052.JPG.64108087fb0a94d1b7e4cbb2ae02119a.JPG

IMG_5053.JPG.a08d15fda7fe2066183c3ec2d7793f0e.JPG

IMG_5054.JPG.d179098a00f2c0ba008fa8c2d1e590e7.JPG

My plate:

IMG_5055.JPG.03d5ee5b581c8d1e3189ad22f8e38906.JPG

Pepperoni pizza and some sausage gravy on a Hawaiian roll.  Jessica’s was more interesting:

IMG_5056.jpg.58ec1a0acfd1033785a72f43989a9459.jpg

She had some leftover potatoes that she put a cream sauce she’d made on and she used the French toast, some ham, Swiss cheese, and cranberry sauce to make a sort of Monte Cristo. 

Some great looking comfort food meals! Appears that Jessica has her momma's gene for cooking. One of my daughters is a great cook, the other one "eats to live." I need to do a freezer dive pretty soon to make way for the Christmas stuff. I'll be doing Christmas Eve finger food, Christmas breakfast/brunch and the big extended family turley dinner. I have done them all so many times before and everyone seems to want to stick to the usual so that makes it easy, if a little boring, for me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Thanks. I mostly guessed right! Only the crackers eluded me, but then I am not familiar with that brand.

WASA is probably my favorite cracker. This is the light rye version. Whole grain rye flour, salt. "May contain wheat, milk, and sesame." Cover says "Swedish style" but the back says product of Germany. I used to like the full rye version but I can't chew them anymore.  😒

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SusieQ said:

WASA is probably my favorite cracker. This is the light rye version. Whole grain rye flour, salt. "May contain wheat, milk, and sesame." Cover says "Swedish style" but the back says product of Germany. I used to like the full rye version but I can't chew them anymore.  😒

Yes. They are available online here (somewhat expensively). Their origin is "interesting". Some vendors describe them as Swedish made in Germany; others as Dutch made in Italy.

One describes them as "Spot Dutch import Italian German import WASA Vassa crackers Original multi-fiber sesame recommended" then says the factory is in the USA!

I'll call them UN Crackers.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Haha 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

3 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

Grocery store. Giant Eagle, if you have them near you

Jhinga_shrimp_202312.thumb.jpg.968089ff3a39434c989ddaa0fc1cf05a.jpg

Jhinga shrimp curry, spinach raita with cucumbers, Mrs. C's shishito peppers, and microwave basmati rice.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, SusieQ said:

I always have either WASA or Ryvita on hand. Currently it's Ryvita, because they were on sale. On the whole I prefer WASA.

• Like 2

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

15 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@Shelby – whenever you post a few days’ worth of meals, I become suddenly dissatisfied with what I’ve got available 😁

I feel the same way about Shelby's posts. 

No lunch yesterday so made an early dinner.
ChickenCurryandAlooGobiDinnerDecember13th20232.thumb.jpg.1a2fa3fb084e1c17a76de95977adcca7.jpg
I surprised Moe with a favourite dinner.
ChickenCurryandAlooGobiDinnerDecember13th20231.thumb.jpg.0061f25528894429c689ebe17508af76.jpg

Chicken Curry with Aloo Gobi, basmati rice and homemade Chapati.
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 7