• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2023

liuzhou

6 hours ago, Captain said:

Tin salmon rice bake thingy.  Cheese and Panko on top for crunch.

IMG_20231108_201824.thumb.jpg.d5bb730773d20c73332c3afefb4bf682.jpg

That looks very comforting and filling - I have been helping a friend of mine brainstorm a few simple recipes that will help people utilize the common ingredients that are distributed through food pantries/food banks.

Edited by MaryIsobel (log)
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, liuzhou said:

This wasn't the best I've had, but not bad. With rice, of course. $2.50 USD.

Wow, that looks delicious.  Makes my mouth water.

I hope you are continuing to improve Liuzhou. 

CabbageRollsNovember8th2023.thumb.jpg.7458736cd2458663b6215aeeb82db8f1.jpg

I made cabbage rolls yesterday and we had them for dinner.
No sides, Moe just wanted cabbage rolls.
And he had them again for breakfast.
I'm going to take some for lunch.
This is my favourite cabbage roll recipe. Similar to one that I use to order in a Hungarian restaurant in Toronto.
Their version had a light brothy tomato sauce which I liked better than cabbage rolls with a thick tomato sauce.
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 2

Last night was a pizza I've posted often enough before, but I took the notion that I fancied some chips (fries) with that. Fortunately, I spotted this on the pizza place's delivery app page.

_20231110105344.thumb.jpg.b51a355681a5b80d3b4a9028718e4ed6.jpg

I was sitting with my finger over the <SEND> button when some instinct stopped me. Sure enough, in the fine print I found that they weren't potato but fried lotus root. Now, I like lotus root, but this wasn't what I wanted, so I abandoned that idea. I could have ordered fries from a different vendor but there is a minimum order value of ¥20 on the app and fries alone cost half that and two portions is too much for me. So just pizza it was.

Maybe tonight, I'll get my chips.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 9

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

5 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

This is probably the last time I'll use the smoker this year. I did baby back ribs. 

IMG_1286.jpg

Always a little sad when you have to put it away...

• Like 3

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

On Tuesday we drove to the airport in Moncton (90 minutes away) to pick up my sister-in-law, who will be staying with her dad for the winter. She was a bit peckish after being in the air for most of the day with only airline snacks and a packed sandwich, so we decided we'd hit a drive-thru in Saint John before dropping her off. As it happened, the new Popeyes - the first in the province - had just opened in our old east-side neighborhood, and since none of us have had the opportunity to try Popeye's we decided that it was a sign. :)

Not gonna lie, my first thought was "Wow, and I thought KFC was getting pricey!" A 2-piece combo at the KFC a few blocks away is $11.49, at Popeye's it was (IIRC) $13.99. Since there were four of us to feed, we went for the promotional "Family Feast" at $47. It consisted of 6 pieces of chicken, 2 sandwiches, 4 biscuits and 2 sides (we chose the mashed w. gravy and the red beans and rice), and added on extra gravy.

It was...okay. The chicken was juicy and well cooked, the coating was nice and crisp, and it was both less salty and less greasy than KFC. Also the pieces were larger (dunno if it's the same in the US but up here a couple of years ago KFC shifted to cutting a larger chicken into more pieces, and they just feel smaller). Compared to the other nearby option, Newfoundland-based Mary Brown's*, the coating and size of the pieces are about comparable (it would be interesting to try them all side-by-side; given that they're just a few blocks apart they'd all be reasonably fresh and hot). The red beans and rice were the best part of the meal, as far as my GF and I were concerned. It was over-salted and heavy with fat, and probably packed more calories than the actual chicken, but it was tasty for all that.

I'll almost certainly eat there again, but will definitely be watching for specials and coupons (as I do with KFC and Mary Brown's). I enjoy a good piece of fried chicken, but frugality dictates eating it at home more often than out.

*The chain started back in the 1960s by licensing its recipe from Virginia's Golden Skillet, but was unable to use that name because another NL restaurant had registered it. So they went with Mary Brown's (apparently the maiden name of the GS founder's wife?), and over the past couple of decades have grown from a regional franchise of a few dozen outlets to a national one of 250-ish).

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

河内熟牛肉粉 (hé nèi shú niú ròu fěn), Hà Nội Phở Bò, Hanoi Beef Phở

Beef tendons, beef brisket, scallion, red chilli, bean sprouts, Thai basil and mint and rice noodles in a rich beef broth. Came with a mean ¼ of a tiny Vietnamese lime.

pho2.thumb.jpg.a2384c92abd522948694f2cd6e5bd86d.jpg

Phở Bò in China

From the my local Vietnamese restaurant named 西贡 (xī gòng) which is Sài Gòn in Vietnamese and Saigon in English.

saigonlogo.thumb.jpg.2f51837e3bb75c5ca861de10a2209498.jpg

The restaurant isn't bad but ludicrously overpriced. This was ¥36 while I can get a not too dissimilar Chinese beef noodle dish for ¥12. I can't see many locals biting. There are a lot of Vietnamese students in the local colleges. They definitely won't be coming.

I can't remember how much I paid last time I was in Vietnam (2018), but much, much less for a better bowl and unlimited lime.

Phosaigon.jpg.e68efd9e446f5742d78dc7e1630c065c.jpg

Phở Bò in Vietnam

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

A throw together dinner out of the fridge and pantry. 

From the top clockwise: toasted naan with hummus, pickled herring with onions, mixed small to tiny radishes (after clearing out the patch), tomato salad over lettuces, toasted focaccia and in the center grilled halloumi and pickled red onions.

There were a lot of flavour combinations and the mix worked out well.

MixedPlateNov.102023.thumb.JPG.f35a22e91427a7cfa3c7c5731526ddff.JPG

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

BreadDressingNovember10th2023.thumb.jpg.555727277542b7c8ad7874acd21c8d7b.jpg
Prepared and baked bread dressing before leaving for work yesterday.
RoastChickenNovember10th2023.thumb.jpg.e4791b81ba54b6aa772202e6239b202c.jpg
I had the chicken seasoned and ready to go into the oven and Moe got it into the oven before I got home.
RoastChickenDinnerNovember10th2023.thumb.jpg.aa21dfee3bea89bfda3562358aeb86c0.jpg
Just had to cook the potatoes and steam the rutabaga and green beans and make the gravy.
And warm up the dressing while the chicken rested.
  • Like 13
  • Delicious 6

IMG_2939.thumb.jpg.4be0d0c0a8b71ff092c1c73f2947d1d4.jpg

continuing to use the 3 qt. iPot for LP basket steaming 

standard generic MarKet basket Fz veg :  one  lb peas and carrots and one half lb green beans

iPot from cold thaw 00 in LP , chilled then in cold water to stop the cooking.

I love sweet potatoes but never seem to get to them

SP large cut , basket steamed LP 3 min.  cooled at room temp

the SP needed something , so went w a TJ's olive oil // Dijon // cider vinegar .

it was a bit tart , so added a tiny bit of molasses to it.  that added some nice flavors.

the dressing was not sweet.

the sweet potatoes might be better hand mashed while warm  I like leaving the skin on.

much tastier than I hough it might be 

and SP's are going to be a regular item for me from now on.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 11

Greenbean_chorizo_202311.thumb.jpg.b9c139ecf36ee5d4a37f80f6fe91ad4c.jpg

Dinner from random fridge contents: Green beans and kale with Mexican chorizo, white onion, garlic, serrano and Fresno chiles, canned tomato, cumin, cilantro, and Mexican oregano. Mrs. C sous-chef'd the chorizo, picking out all the gristly bits. ❤️

• Like 12

Focaccia, smoked butter, microgreens

aqkcuiw.jpg

Smoked duck breast, hoisin, fricassee, root veg

3u66Qc4.jpg

Turbot, octopus, hollandaise, salad with lemon dressing

8NjPGP8.jpg

Beef short rib, beef saddle, demiglace, onion foam, potato puff

ccGTrOS.jpg

Almond cake, chocolate cup, hot espresso - tiramisu

L5UZ4Ln.jpg

Not a bad view either 

0TZKWyW.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

I continue to have ups and downs with my new Breville pizza maker.  The pizza before this was just about perfect for us.  This one looks good.  But it wasn't.  The toppings were, but the crust was terrible.  It looked done, but it wasn't.  It even had the nice looking brown bottom that should be perfect but no.  I used the same temp settings as the one before.  Frustrating.  BUT I will prevail!

thumbnail_IMG_5262.jpg.66f587742daa4fcf348800863f9b0e03.jpg

More venison tostadas

thumbnail_IMG_5263.jpg.2d0c981fd15b87627d22ce1110f5f67c.jpg

Breakfast for dinner--as usual I was out of ideas so that's my fall back.  Biscuits and sausage gravy, hash browns, eggs and Brussels sprouts

thumbnail_IMG_5272.jpg.8bd2a4dd7b9272cd070eebbcf04b6a25.jpg

Raspberry and blueberry galette for dessert

thumbnail_IMG_5274.jpg.9540b8560cc8f010703ce8e67f216def.jpg

More turkey paninis

thumbnail_IMG_5275.jpg.51cc222915a82a5c3058dfa01a6d7721.jpg

Last night...I needed something way different--so tired of my cooking.  So, chicken tikka masala.  Ronnie seemed to like it--I loved it.  Took the easy way and used a jar of sauce from Misfits.   Marinated the chicken for a couple hours  in a mix of plain yogurt, garam masala, cumin, turmeric, garlic, chili powder and salt.  I ended up adding more hot pepper to the sauce in the end.   It was good.  And easy.  Basmati rice and also a new vegetable side to go with.  Carrots and broccoli roasted in a mix of a bit of honey, olive oil and salt and pepper.  While that's roasting you make a brown butter sauce with just butter and loads of thinly sliced garlic.  After the garlic gets a bit brown you remove from heat and add a TBS of lemon juice then pour over the veggies.  

thumbnail_IMG_5276.jpg.251870b3888851d5a7d5f2bf90521f46.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5278.jpg.e4b9b35cf320ce2aa1ce34f08def3e4b.jpg

• Like 16
  • Delicious 7

3 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I continue to have ups and downs with my new Breville pizza maker.  The pizza before this was just about perfect for us.  This one looks good.  But it wasn't.  The toppings were, but the crust was terrible.  It looked done, but it wasn't.  It even had the nice looking brown bottom that should be perfect but no.  I used the same temp settings as the one before.  Frustrating.  BUT I will prevail!

thumbnail_IMG_5262.jpg.66f587742daa4fcf348800863f9b0e03.jpg

More venison tostadas

thumbnail_IMG_5263.jpg.2d0c981fd15b87627d22ce1110f5f67c.jpg

Breakfast for dinner--as usual I was out of ideas so that's my fall back.  Biscuits and sausage gravy, hash browns, eggs and Brussels sprouts

thumbnail_IMG_5272.jpg.8bd2a4dd7b9272cd070eebbcf04b6a25.jpg

Raspberry and blueberry galette for dessert

thumbnail_IMG_5274.jpg.9540b8560cc8f010703ce8e67f216def.jpg

More turkey paninis

thumbnail_IMG_5275.jpg.51cc222915a82a5c3058dfa01a6d7721.jpg

Last night...I needed something way different--so tired of my cooking.  So, chicken tikka masala.  Ronnie seemed to like it--I loved it.  Took the easy way and used a jar of sauce from Misfits.   Marinated the chicken for a couple hours  in a mix of plain yogurt, garam masala, cumin, turmeric, garlic, chili powder and salt.  I ended up adding more hot pepper to the sauce in the end.   It was good.  And easy.  Basmati rice and also a new vegetable side to go with.  Carrots and broccoli roasted in a mix of a bit of honey, olive oil and salt and pepper.  While that's roasting you make a brown butter sauce with just butter and loads of thinly sliced garlic.  After the garlic gets a bit brown you remove from heat and add a TBS of lemon juice then pour over the veggies.  

thumbnail_IMG_5276.jpg.251870b3888851d5a7d5f2bf90521f46.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5278.jpg.e4b9b35cf320ce2aa1ce34f08def3e4b.jpg

I just broke out our panini press a week ago and we've enjoyed a few paninis (is that the plural?) since. I don't use it during the summer for some reason. Your sausage gravy with biscuits intrugues me. Can you believe that I have neither made it nor eaten it in my whole life? It's just not a thing in these parts but I think we would like it for a "breakfast for dinner" meal so I'll put it on my "to try" list.

• Like 1