• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2023

liuzhou

😄

4 hours ago, johnnyd said:

Seared Blue Fin Tuna at the Mixed Doubles Final!

IMG_20230713_132040157~2.jpg

And still no beverage to be seen..😄

• Haha 3

Be kind first.

Be nice.

(If you don't know the difference then you need to do some research)

First time back in the kitchen in a long while... My wife is finally getting ready for some real food again, so I thought a good intro is Singapore style Bak Kut Teh with lots of slow cooked garlic and Sumatran black pepper, and Argentinian red shrimp (with knife peeled noodles).

PXL_20230716_170500887.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.bfdd212c61d4e1f9b44842184896f9b6.jpg

• Like 9
  • Delicious 2

46 minutes ago, rotuts said:

sorry forgo may typos.

as I understand it

there is an HMart a bit north of me

when it gets cooler

Ill have to stop by.

those noodles are in the refrigerated section

• Like 1

Grilled veggies with pipián dip from Bricia Lopez's book Asada

7CCC9844-EB3D-4F85-906F-6A94FAFD24FB_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.cdff25c884b5e487dd58b816bc2f8f24.jpeg

The dip is made from charred red bell pepper, tomato, sourdough bread, habanero, garlic, almonds, oil & red wine vinegar

I don't have a real grill but that little Philips infrared grill is OK for a few veg like this. 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

10 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Grilled veggies with pipián dip from Bricia Lopez's book Asada

7CCC9844-EB3D-4F85-906F-6A94FAFD24FB_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.cdff25c884b5e487dd58b816bc2f8f24.jpeg

The dip is made from charred red bell pepper, tomato, sourdough bread, habanero, garlic, almonds, oil & red wine vinegar

I don't have a real grill but that little Philips infrared grill is OK for a few veg like this. 

That pipian dip looks similar to the dip used for calsots in Barcelona during the season.  Also, does the infrared grill give you that kind of smoky grilled flavor at all?  I remember reading in Modernist Cuisine that the grilled flavor came from burning aerosolized fat that would drop off of foods as they approached the hot coals.  I don't know if those infrared lamps get nearly hot enough to do that though.

• Like 1

Just now, KennethT said:

That pipian dip looks similar to the dip used for calsots in Barcelona during the season.  Also, does the infrared grill give you that kind of smoky grilled flavor at all?  I remember reading in Modernist Cuisine that the grilled flavor came from burning aerosolized fat that would drop off of foods as they approached the hot coals.  I don't know if those infrared lamps get nearly hot enough to do that though.

You get a little smoky flavor from the dark bits but I'm sure a real grill would be far superior in that regard.  The IR lamps are off to the sides so almost all drippings fall straight down into the removable tray rather than landing on any heated surface. For the charred bell peppers, tomatoes and bread that go into the dip, I put them on the IR grill for about 10 min (less for the bread), per the recipe, turning often, at which point they were tender and had some dark striping but weren't what I'd call charred so I rotated them over a gas burner to blacken them up before they went into the blender.  The habanero and garlic were to be wrapped in foil and put on the grill and I think they came out fine - soft and tender with a little browning. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, KennethT said:

That pipian dip looks similar to the dip used for calsots in Barcelona during the season.

I know it as Romesco sauce, though I believe there's a different Catalan name for it. That was my thought too. I always associate pipian with pumpkin seeds, though I know less of Mexican food than most of you and may just be unfamiliar with other versions of the sauce.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

4 hours ago, chromedome said:

I know it as Romesco sauce, though I believe there's a different Catalan name for it. That was my thought too. I always associate pipian with pumpkin seeds, though I know less of Mexican food than most of you and may just be unfamiliar with other versions of the sauce.

I think pipian is typically make with pumpkin seeds. A pipian rojo would usually involve a hot dried red chile in some form. A romesco sauce is usually made with roasted tomatoes and red peppers that are milder, like a red bell or a piquillo; almonds are the most common nut for romesco, but the NYT has a recipe that uses almonds and hazelnuts. I find that most commercial or restaurant romesco sauce is too heavy on the red bell pepper taste. A good shortcut for making romesco might be to use a jarred roasted piquillo product like Matiz.

• Like 1

@gfweb 

your article mentioned a particular style of tomato for this :

it had         ' the warmth of the Sun in it '

I grew tomatoes for years , which I started in Jan seeds indoors 

its true darker large red tomatoes might have more tomato aroma when nicely ripe 

the Early Girls I harvested , when warm 

had plenty of that same warmth .  the got cut into 1/8th or so

and went right into the cooked and seasoned linguini 

all summer long.

nothing like the warmth of a just picked home grown tomato.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, rotuts said:

nothing like the warmth of a just picked home grown tomato.

Oh ya!  Reminds me of something I read years ago from Madhur Jaffrey - how as a girl she kept salt in her pocket to sprinkle on  sun warmed ripe tomatoes as she walked the garden.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, kayb said:

Ain’t my ch better than a ‘mater sandwich. Unless you elevate it by adding bacon.

Harriet woud agree on the basic one.

3 hours ago, gfweb said:

There's no doubt the tomato / mayo / white bread sandwich is a great one. One thing about Eric Kim, though, he has a knack for inventing the wheel. Again.  A two page spread in the magazine just because he adds furikake? I totally agree that a great ripe tomato is essential, since there's basically nothing else going on. But good fresh bread is just as important. So yeah, timing is crucial. This sandwich, like the famous James Beard Vidalia onion sandwich is only made in our house the day my husband bakes a brioche or pullman loaf. Not to beat a dead horse, but Duke's mayo is the slather of choice for me. 

• Like 5

Strammer Matjes/Max ("ShtrAMmer MAKs") from the sea.
xycrrcY.jpg

One of the eggs I got has the perfect shape of Kinder Surprise eggs.
3ibSnNm.jpg

140t4rx.jpg

Where I got the egg above, from a (hobby) chicken keeper, in the countryside 1,5 hours biking from my house. A normal house with a big garden full of chickens, directly left of this country lane.
qr0VgY6.jpg

---------#2---------

Fried eggs with tomatoes and Feta
VJCjeuo.jpg

Chocolate paste/bergamot mamerlade/peanut butter are made by yours truly. Black bread and yoghurt with honey.
enk8YdM.jpg

---------#3------------
Greek-style salad every day.
WiOrDEY.jpg

From scorching hot to full blown autumn. Grilling on the Weber outside was cancelled. SV lamb leg meat, briefly browned in a pan.
QL0f20v.jpg

Enjoying my herbs from the garden.
379WpVE.jpg

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2