• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2023

liuzhou

Not a looker, but it hit the spot.  Green eggs and ham quesadilla with sautéed Brussels sprouts, diced country ham, green hot sauce, egg and pepper jack cheese.

E6C6483C-907A-4EEA-9466-531450118540_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.1bc4df5413915bd7c281b5f8e4bc852e.jpeg

I had plans for better accompaniments but after encountering 2 avocados well past their prime, I just dipped this in tomato chutney. 

• Like 10
  • Delicious 2

Even less of a looker, but also hit the spot.

Spinach_shrimp_202309.thumb.jpg.699f482df0598e8290590ced30c7e7c9.jpg

Spinach, shrimp, eggs, and half-and-half, flavored with onion, garlic, jalapenos, cilantro, thyme, and Mexican oregano. Feta cheese at the end.

Originally intended as taco filling but I liked it as is.

• Like 7

We have the grandkids over for Sunday breakfast every week. Gives my daughter and her husband a break and I get to cook for them. My daughter stuck around for overnight yeasted waffles with fried apples and whipped cream. Bacon and a half a ton of fruit alongside.  

Clara (foreground) seems to like it. I caught my daughter by surprise.  Gigi is in the back stuffing her face

20230924_094704.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

53 minutes ago, chileheadmike said:

We have the grandkids over for Sunday breakfast every week. Gives my daughter and her husband a break and I get to cook for them. My daughter stuck around for overnight yeasted waffles with fried apples and whipped cream. Bacon and a half a ton of fruit alongside.  

Clara (foreground) seems to like it. I caught my daughter by surprise.  Gigi is in the back stuffing her face

20230924_094704.jpg

Nice to have the phood you make or others truly appreciated,  and a nice tradition,

• Like 1

20 hours ago, heidih said:

Nice to have the phood you make or others truly appreciated,  and a nice tradition,

Whatever Clara is eating it appears to have put her in a trance. Always a pleasure whether you are in one or watching one. Half the pix of my 2 yr old granddaughters are of them eating, since that's one of the only times they are sitting relatively still.

• Like 2

Breakfast from a couple of days ago. Leftover roast lamb sliced in slivers, flakes of pecorino romano and a bird's eye chilli finely sliced all wrapped up in a two egg omelette. With a lovely end piece of baguette. IMG_20230924_100359.thumb.jpg.2b717a79eab030606005743310358022.jpg

What a time to be alive!

Today's self-explanatory breakfast. IMG_20230925_082855.thumb.jpg.25118e6e67de3367a7ee7f412d52e0fd.jpg

Maybe not so self-explanatory; the bits that are difficult to recognise are avocado and coleslaw. All under lashings of black pepper.

• Like 8

This started off as a Western with ham, onion and yellow bell pepper however I threw in two Thai chilis then braved the chilly morning to pick some chives, coriander and zucchini flowers.

Tasted much better than a standard Western.

DSCN1202.thumb.JPG.a548c8e9810724c8221e9428cb62fce1.JPG

• Like 5
  • Delicious 3

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

1 hour ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

This started off as a Western with ham, onion and yellow bell pepper however I threw in two Thai chilis then braved the chilly morning to pick some chives, coriander and zucchini flowers.

DSCN1202.thumb.JPG.a548c8e9810724c8221e9428cb62fce1.JPG

"Western" what? Do you have a standard "western" sandwich, or were you making an omelette and decided to sandwich it? Looks good, at any rate, but I'm curious about the abbreviated term.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

On 9/26/2023 at 9:04 AM, Smithy said:

"Western" what? Do you have a standard "western" sandwich, or were you making an omelette and decided to sandwich it? Looks good, at any rate, but I'm curious about the abbreviated term.

This is a pretty common item, either as an omelet or as a sandwich, consisting of eggs, ham, usually green peppers and onions and sometimes cheese. At least in central and eastern Canada. I think it's also called a Denver omelet.

Edited by Senior Sea Kayaker (log)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

2 hours ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

This is a pretty common item, either as an omelet or as a sandwich, consisting of eggs, ham, usually green peppers and onions and sometimes cheese. At least in central and eastern Canada. I think it also called a Denver omelet.

Yes Denver is what the diners call it here. Like the zuke bloom add.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

This is a pretty common item, either as an omelet or as a sandwich, consisting of eggs, ham, usually green peppers and onions and sometimes cheese. At least in central and eastern Canada.

First recorded in 1959 in yes, Canada.

a sandwich in which the filling is an omelette containing onion and ham.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

6 hours ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

The addition of Thai chiles could make that an East meets Western!  I grew up calling that a Western sandwich also.  Except for my grandmother, who called it a pancake egg sandwich!  

After seeing that, I considered making a version with kimchi but ended up making the old standard kimchi avocado toast topped with a fried egg:

754EDCF9-D6C8-4376-A10F-E00F8A03E0E5_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.70fc343cfa620c272e5c486d36b5a924.jpeg

I'm filing the "Kimchi Western" away under future breakfasts 🙃

• Like 4
  • Delicious 2

@blue_dolphin – that Croque Matthieu looks more than amazing!  Any chance you could distill it into a recipe that you would share?? 

I am having some weird physical things happening – almost constant queasiness and bad taste in my mouth.  My burning mouth syndrome is also worsening lately.  So breakfast hasn’t happened much.  Mostly must a piece of toast or chunk of cheese to take my medicines with.  A couple to share:

Toasted Lidl croissant with an egg and a surprisingly good peach:

IMG_4349.jpg.3be2245a94e64d47f23da61998308e71.jpg

I ate the littermate of that peach this morning and had to eat it over the sink, it was so juicy.  Amazing in late September!

A leftover biscuit (frozen) and Diroc pork sausage links:

IMG_4367.jpg.9d3a9cf9cc9828e007c7b6602c2a6b74.jpg

• Like 4
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

@blue_dolphin – that Croque Matthieu looks more than amazing!  Any chance you could distill it into a recipe that you would share?? 

I didn't measure anything but I can tell you what the article said and what I did.  

From the LA Times article

He starts by cutting the top and bottom off of a baguette, then slicing it through the middle. 

He adds a heap of shredded Gruyère cheese to a nonstick pan. Once it’s melted and bubbly, he places the baguette slices onto the cheese, letting the two fuse together.

After the bread cools, he spreads a thick Mornay sauce onto the crispy cheese and adds a mound of jammy onions. They’re the same onions he features in the restaurant’s signature caramelized onion tart, cooked low and slow for six hours and finished with Madeira and sherry. He layers on slices of Bayonne ham, which taste like a combination of prosciutto and country ham, and closes the sandwich with another piece of baguette crusted with the melted Gruyère.

To finish the sandwich, he adds butter, shallot, garlic and thyme to a pan. Then he adds the sandwich to the pan, engulfing the entire thing in butter, basting it like a piece of Wagyu.

Croque Mathieu as made by me:

• Bread - I used a TJ's mini ciabatta instead of a baguette
  • Grated Gryuère cheese - I used grated Jarlsberg 
  • Mornay sauce - I mixed one up by cooking 1T butter + 1T flour 'til golden and nutty, whisking in 3/4 cups whole milk, stirring 'til thickened and adding 2 oz grated Jarlsberg, 1 oz grated Parm and 1 T Dijon mustard and stirring until smooth.  This was way more than needed but making a smaller roux seems silly!
  • Caramelized onions - I keep caramelized onions in the freezer, frozen flat in zip-top bags.  I broke off a chunk, warmed them up and was going to put them in pan and add a splash of Madeira and/or sherry but I skipped it.  Maybe next time.
  • Bayonne ham - I used prosciutto.  Thin slices of country ham would be excellent. 
  • Butter
  • Shallot - I just used a few slices
  • Garlic - 1 clove, smashed and cut up into a few pieces
  • Thyme - leaves from a small sprig

I crisped up the mini ciabatta in the oven, cut off the top and bottom and sliced it through the middle to make 2 slabs. 

I heated a non-stick pan and made 2 slab-sized piles of shredded cheese.  Once they were bubbly, I put the ciabatta slabs on top and let them cook 'til the cheese was lightly browned. 

I removed the bread to a rack and slathered a layer of Mornay on each side.  I distributed the caramelized onions on one piece of the bread, topped it with a couple of slices of prosciutto and covered it with the other piece of bread. 

When it comes to cooking the sandwich, I did not "engulf the entire thing in butter," nor baste it "like a piece of Wagyu."   I just used a bit more butter in the pan than I normally would.

I added ~ 1 T butter to a cast iron skillet, added the shallot, garlic and thyme and let them cook a min or 2 before adding the sandwich.  When I was ready to flip, I added a little more butter to the pan.  

The article described it as a 4-bite sandwich so I cut mine up to about that size, which is good because they are very rich and 4 bites is enough!

• Thanks 1

Following through on my Kimchi Western sandwich.  

ACFEA6C7-1FF9-4BE9-BE41-5DF33E4A754F_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.76606f6c1c2625af078304e42a7b88cc.jpeg

Sautéed onions and chopped country ham, added chopped kimchi and the eggs.  On toasted sourdough with avocado and some melty cheese on top. A bit messy due to pan and bread being of different sizes so the kimchi egg pancake got cut, folded and piled on to fit. 

Weird lighting on the toast.  It was nicely browned. 

Edited to add that it was good.  I'd make it again with better coordination between pan and bread size/shape.

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 3
  • Delicious 1

Wok-cooked tomato & scrambled eggs.  Not that anyone needs a recipe for this but I followed one from Kenji in The Wok where he adds a bit of fish sauce to the eggs and it was a nice addition. 

9BB37B01-0A42-4B75-8FB8-7DCE081D4F95_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.7673b392d52b0ab05815ab0b3b3b32bd.jpeg

Should be in a bowl with rice but I went with a plate & toast. 

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1