• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2023

liuzhou

16 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Wok-cooked tomato & scrambled eggs.  Not that anyone needs a recipe for this but I followed one from Kenji in The Wok where he adds a bit of fish sauce to the eggs and it was a nice addition. 

A touch of fish sauce is nice in a tomato salsa as well. I think @nakji gave me that hint.

• Like 2

The classic NYC breakfast sandwich tends to be a BEC - bacon, egg, cheese on a hard (known here as Kaiser) roll.

I altered it slightly to make a HEC...

IMG_0424.jpeg.a24a1a634584894a823f0db9e9434057.jpeg

Ham, egg, cheese - on a bialy!

• Like 6
  • Delicious 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

@Ann_T, that egg ... that bread....swoon!

Sadly, I am out of eggs so I had to be content with beans on toast:

82466BC9-F5E6-4A92-B46B-6E644115FF10_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.3e4f68fa90fe215846f967ea22413f66.jpeg

RG's large white limas, cooked with lots of herbs, aromatics and olive oil, mashed on toasted country bread and topped with sorrel dressed with orange juice and sprinkled with Espelette pepper. A riff on a recipe in A Modern Cook's Year by Anna Jones.  After I took the photo, I piled more sorrel over the whole slice so I could have some in every bite. 

A review of the book recipe on Eat Your Books declared it meh for being bland but said the OJ/sorrel was worth saving.  I'd cooked these beans per a recipe in Sunday Suppers at Lucques and knew they were anything but bland so this topping was all they needed. 

• Like 8

I think that 90% of the time when Moe requests a roast beef dinner he is actually thinking
about the leftovers and his breakfast the next day.
ScrambledeggswithroastbeefandgravyOctober1st2023.thumb.jpg.5f31360e40f281101bcdb56f7baee3cf.jpg

One of his favourite breakfasts is scrambled eggs and roast beef and gravy.
One of the Italian restaurants in the Sault, back 25 years ago, served a buffet on Sundays and along with Italian items,
there was always a hip of beef with Yorkshire pudding, gravy etc and he would have it with scrambled eggs.
  • Like 7
  • Delicious 3

More white beans and sorrel on toast.  This was a Deborah Madison recipe from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone in which the sorrel and lots of parsley are cooked with diced onion before adding the beans and bean broth.  Small slice of country ham and cherry tomatoes on the side. 

D618928C-ACAE-470F-9E2D-F5288E16F719_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.238b7ce8cc15e1a997c5366f582d9833.jpeg

This was good but the brightness of the sorrel didn't really stand out. 

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

Cabbage_egg_202310.thumb.jpg.bc1b7c531f4efb34bbfd432170a91f4a.jpg

After a week of road food I was craving something green, so . . . Savoy cabbage with fennel, fenugreek, and cumin seeds, plus garlic, onion, jalapenos, ginger, tomato paste, and fish sauce. Finished with feta, lemon juice, and a fried egg.

Nice to be home!

Edited by C. sapidus
Duplication (log)
  • Like 7

@blue_dolphin – thanks so much for your directions for the sandwich.  I hope to try it soon.

@Ann_T – your tuna salad looks so good.  No to mention that gorgeous little roll it is sitting on!!!  I’m also envious of your perfect poached eggs.  Do you just use the drop in simmering water method?

We have company coming next week and I wanted to do a little experiment and see if I needed to get croissants from our local bakery the morning I wanted to serve them, or if I could do it the day before.  Two croissants and a Kouign-amann:

IMG_4406.thumb.jpg.7040395ee0b551c539326bbb37643d25.jpg

The kouign-amann:

IMG_4407.jpg.6cf1110ca2a646578c799db2404fccf7.jpg

IMG_4408.thumb.jpg.e56d94d9b90276c256155a85f013fc19.jpg

It was lovely.  I started it in the car and barely managed to save half for Mr. Kim!  When I got home, I tried the croissant.  I also did a goofy little experiment.  I don’t usually indulge in expensive bakery pastries on an everyday basis.  I usually get Lidl croissants a couple of times a week.  They are very good, so I decided to do a head-to-head comparison:

IMG_4413.jpg.fe326c7d35f1569cc37542030504a07e.jpg

The bakery – Whisk - on the left and Lidl on the right.  Whisk:

IMG_4415.jpg.f0f10ad2b95e6e5f21db94a629021b7d.jpg

Lidl:

IMG_4414.jpg.228a72ea66cf1e372aa4383d141efd3d.jpg

I mean, I KNEW that Whisk’s would be much better, and it was.  Look at the insides – Lidl’s are much more the texture of an enriched yeast bread than a laminated croissant like Whisk’s.  But the Lidl one is really good – no weird non-butter flavor like so many grocery store bakery croissants.  I’ll continue to buy my weekday croissants from Lidl and splurge with their across the street neighbor, Whisk. 

Breakfast the next morning was the other – now day old - Whisk croissant I got the day before to see if they could be bought the day before:

IMG_4421.jpg.95a4c4cc15512e01ba72caac4685b242.jpg

IMG_4423(1).jpg.05ebbb539917e428ee61651c6083b9bb.jpg

It was great, but I think I’ll go ahead and get them the morning that I want to serve them. 

Yesterday:

IMG_4437.jpg.00f9d7735184ed2d9ba533787a977f14.jpg

Ham and egg on toast. 

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

3 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@Ann_T – your tuna salad looks so good.  No to mention that gorgeous little roll it is sitting on!!!  I’m also envious of your perfect poached eggs.  Do you just use the drop in simmering water method?

Thanks Kim.   Yes, I bring the water to a boil, turn it down to a low simmer, break the egg into a small cup,

give the water a swirl and slip the egg into the water. Swirl again, moving the first egg over and slip the second egg in.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:
2 hours ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Do either of you put vinegar in your water?

I don't.  I couldn't ever see the difference whether I did it or not.  Maybe @Ann_T has a different experience?  

I agree with Kim, I never noticed a difference.  And since I don't care for vinegar, and I admit it might be just my imagination, but I can taste the vinegar. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

I agree with Kim, I never noticed a difference.  And since I don't care for vinegar, and I admit it might be just my imagination, but I can taste the vinegar. 

I can taste the vinegar, too. I find it not only unpleasant but also unnecessary.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Egg, blood sausage, aged cheddar with romaine and dragon's tongue mustard on a toasted bagel. Tomato with basil and pepper on the side.

The dragon's tongue mustard is something new I grew this year. Very flavourful with a strong mustard oil aroma. It worked well in the sandwich.

DSCN1255.thumb.JPG.c70432a249d6fa508d0eeb8e3126af04.JPGDSCN1257.thumb.JPG.cf90e64d8d3fcdcec114071d6d613adf.JPG

Edited by Senior Sea Kayaker (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

3 hours ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

Egg, blood sausage, aged cheddar with romaine and dragon's tongue mustard on a toasted bagel. Tomato with basil and pepper on the side.

The dragon's tongue mustard is something new I grew this year. Very flavourful with a strong mustard oil aroma. It worked well in the sandwich.

DSCN1255.thumb.JPG.c70432a249d6fa508d0eeb8e3126af04.JPG

Does it retain that taste when cooked? Sounds like a worthwhile  greento grow.

25 minutes ago, heidih said:

Does it retain that taste when cooked? Sounds like a worthwhile  greento grow.

I haven't cooked it as I'm just getting young leaves (this was a succession planting after removing spent bush beans). The young leaves I'm using more as an herb and am sold on the cultivar and I will be growing more next season. 

Depending on when we get a killing frost will determine whether I get to try more mature leaves to cook.

• Like 2

Steamed basted eggs with cilantro, chives and pepper, blistered tomatoes and chard and mustard greens sauteed with garlic and Thai chilis. With an everything bagel for dipping.

@heidih The mustard greens go mellow and lose most of their pungency.

DSCN1262.thumb.JPG.dbe7a24fb3abcb17df8c8b985711644e.JPG

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1