• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2023

liuzhou

1 hour ago, Paul Bacino said:

Avocado Omelet w/ arugula and marjoram blossoms-  well of souls-- Tabasco

53151669642_56cdefda90_b.jpg

Interesting presentation. Did the avocado end up semi warm? And the T is in the pit pocket - that is a hefty dose. Nice on the herb flowers. I miss my herb garden and the ability to walk out and pluck what moves me.

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, heidih said:

Interesting presentation. Did the avocado end up semi warm? And the T is in the pit pocket - that is a hefty dose. Nice on the herb flowers. I miss my herb garden and the ability to walk out and pluck what moves me.

Yeah.. I usually have room temp. Avocado...that center...was 100 yr Tabasco..wasn't overwhelming..the acidity cuts fat of the avocado..  I let my herb garden go wild this yr..killer butterflies 

• Like 1

Its good to have Morels

15 minutes ago, Paul Bacino said:

Yeah.. I usually have room temp. Avocado...that center...was 100 yr Tabasco..wasn't overwhelming..the acidity cuts fat of the avocado..  I let my herb garden go wild this yr..killer butterflies 

So the Tabasco that they released for 150th anniversary up to 15 year aging? How did it compare to off the grocery store shelf? More complex? I have never made it to Avery Island. Maybe a bucket list thing.

Breakfast this morning: shashuka: tomatoes, baby zucchini, sweet and hot peppers, onion, garlic, eggs and finished with zucchini flowers and chives. With toasted multigrain Ace baguette, a peach and coffee.

The rain is tapering off after a full day yesterday and overnight so off to check the garden.

ShakshukawithZucchinandFlowers.thumb.JPG.8f102a6ce8ed47e01100813adeb48353.JPG

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

12 minutes ago, Ann_T said:

GrilledChickenandpotatoesAugust31st2023.thumb.jpg.7d2258204da84af7c2e4bac4955445df.jpg

Chicken legs and potatoes done on the grill early this morning.

GrilledChickenLegsandPotatoesAugust31st2023.thumb.jpg.d65bec937ad1c1ab0f48ee9a7865c9e1.jpg

Moe had for breakfast and I'm taking same to work for lunch. 

I was putting off breakfast but now!  Were the potatoes pore-cooked and then finished on grill or? Beautiful.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, heidih said:

So the Tabasco that they released for 150th anniversary up to 15 year aging? How did it compare to off the grocery store shelf? More complex? I have never made it to Avery Island. Maybe a bucket list thing.

If you'd like a virtual tour of Avery Island and the Tabasco factory, here's my entry from 2016 about it. Hardly the same thing as an actual tour, I realize! I went to look to see about my take on the aged Special Reserve Tabasco. It was only aged 8 years, but I thought its flavor more complex and slightly mellower than the grocery store brand. I'll bet the 15-year stuff is even more interesting.

If you can make it out there, I do recommend the tour, the food, and the sampling. I'd love to go again!

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Not to say that this wouldn't be a really interesting experience, BUT. I really hate Tabasco Sauce.  To me, it tastes of pure vinegar.

Some years ago I did a side-by-side taste test of hot sauces in my own kitchen...I have a whole lot of different brands, and Tabasco came in dead last, not even close.

• Like 3

Yesterday:

IMG_4230.thumb.jpg.e0365fd8f02fd9c14960f753db5e2468.jpg

Toast and Neuske’s bacon.  Also, a Crispin apple.  We were first introduced to these apples under the name “Mutsu” when we lived in Indiana.  I found it at the produce stand and will look for more.  It was just our sort of apple – sweet/tart and super crisp.  I also got one called a Cripps Pink – same as a Pink Lady – and that was very good, too.

This morning:

IMG_4238.jpg.e89aa54233d815886efc18cf48b5f6ac.jpg

Toast, scrambled eggs with catsup, and NC sage sausage.  And, yes, I overdid my toast a bit. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Kim Shook said:

Also, a Crispin apple.  We were first introduced to these apples under the name “Mutsu” when we lived in Indiana.

Thanks for tidbit of apple info. One of the growers who sells at our farmers market regularly brings Mutsus.  I like them but didn’t realize they had another name. 

• Like 1

On 8/30/2023 at 5:58 PM, heidih said:

Yeah, darker, not as much presence of vinegar, deeper flavor..I don’t Remember what I paid…I bough like three…have one left…I’ll get you a pick..might be able to compare too…we are traveling over Labor Day..weekend

Its good to have Morels

On 8/31/2023 at 8:59 AM, heidih said:

I was putting off breakfast but now!  Were the potatoes pore-cooked and then finished on grill or? Beautiful.

@Heidih, not the potatoes were not precooked.  Russets cut with a crinkle cutter and rubbed with some olive oil and seasoned and 

cooked right on the grill.   They actually cook surprising fast.  I didn't start them until the chicken was almost done. 

Today's breakfast.

Moe requested a tomato omelette.  Tomato was from Matt's tomato garden.  

Don't know which variety this one was, but the flavour was amazing. 

Tomato Omelette September 2nd, 2023.jpg

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 2

Easy Tortilla "Jian Bing" from Kenji in The Wok

AC073F64-36A5-4314-B303-396A305EB1DC_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.b9a4775582cb53d4c636c62c1c6bb032.jpeg

My flour tortillas (TJ's Truly Handmade) were a bit smaller and thicker than the usual so the result wasn't as crêpe-like as intended and aside from the hoisin and chile oil, mine skews more quesadilla than jian bing but still a quick, tasty breakfast.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

everything looks so good. What i love but for you i think it's normal, it's the big breakfast with scrumble eggs, bacon, ham, pancake, fruit salad, potatoes. I love this, i try to do it often at the hous, but i would like to have it like in a restaurant, because they don't do this here in France. I live in France and they don't have big breakfast like this, to bad. But a good croissant it's cool also 😁

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ann_T said:
Not sure why, but for some reason it has been difficult to find cornmeal in local grocery stores.
Finally found some yesterday. So had to bake Moe cornbread this morning.
CornbreadandCappuccinoSeptember7th2023.thumb.jpg.57beb2cbc206896f89364e60d8d457bb.jpg
Something he loves as breakfast.

Me too. I love it for breakfast, but I like it toasted and buttered. So that's my treat if I make cornbread the night before as part of dinner. Can you get Bob's Red Mill? The medium grind makes excellent cornbread. Also there are numerous artisan products on line from places that sell grits, such as Marsh Hen Mill (aka Geechie Boy) with a selection of various grinds. Now I'm thinking I'll make some this evening!  

• Like 2