• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2022

liuzhou

44 minutes ago, Kim Shook said:

How do you get your eggs to do that?  

Basically an over easy but I use an egg ring like McD's uses for the McMuffins so the egg is contained. Crack into the ring, when partially set, use corner of spatula to break yolk so it spreads out. Then remove ring, flip and finish cooking. It got smooshed a bit when I cut the waffle. 

Edited to add this photo, where you can see the round shape of the cooked egg before it got smooshed:

2FEC57C2-2B32-47A0-8F6E-761001551AA3_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.1d331be834ec504bcb9f0e1e28ff08ae.jpeg
The rings I have are ~ 3 inches in diameter.  3.5 might be better. 
And my rings are individual instead of 12 hooked together like at McD's 🙃

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 1

Trader Joe's Taiwanese Green Onion Pancakes make another breakfast appearance, this time with some smoked salmon & scallion cream cheese, capers, Campari tomatoes and freshly squeezed tangerine juice (fruit from a friend's tree)

0CD3F00D-8391-4073-A49A-8A6190496A86_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.1b971629dadba933fceade11547f703b.jpeg

Still in love with how crisp and flaky those pancakes are!

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

Well, I was inspired to try some waffles after the beauties posted by @blue_dolphin.

These are 1/3 each whole wheat, buckwheat and garbanzo flour with about 1/2T each wheat germ and flax meal. A simple banana reduction with a dash of cinnamon and nutmeg, topped with toasted walnuts. More on the sweet side but only because of the reduced bananas, no sugar added.

Dave 

Waffle 4.14.22 web.JPG

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

@blue_dolphin - wow!  I never thought about doing that, even though I cook my eggs in rings all the time.  I'll try that next time.  You've also reminded me to look for those green onion pancakes.  I forget every time I'm at TJ's.  But I'm going tomorrow for other stuff and I will put them on my list.

@Dave R - those waffles sound great.  Were they done with a regular waffle iron or the Belgian-style kind?

Breakfast this morning were a couple of my MIL's wonderful Hot Cross Buns.  She brought time over a couple of weeks ago and they've been in the freezer.  Four minutes in the CSO at 325F on Bake/Steam and they were perfect:

IMG_8872.jpg.cc45e8cbd11df4f0dbba67de5d3cb9a1.jpg

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

7 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Trader Joe's Taiwanese Green Onion Pancakes make another breakfast appearance, this time with some smoked salmon & scallion cream cheese, capers, Campari tomatoes and freshly squeezed tangerine juice (fruit from a friend's tree)

0CD3F00D-8391-4073-A49A-8A6190496A86_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.1b971629dadba933fceade11547f703b.jpeg

How do you cook the TJs pancakes? I've yet to get the ones that I  have cooked to look like yours. They are very tasty but I have yet to achieve a flaky onion pancake. I'm heating in a skillet.

@Kim Shook the waffles were cooked in a Cuisinart Belgian Waffle Maker, but I honestly don't know if it's a true Belgian or just a part of a sales device.

The grids of different models all kind of looked alike when I bought it. A big selling point was removable grids and price. 

Enjoy those beautiful buns! Hope she gave you more than two!

Dave

• Thanks 1

On 4/14/2022 at 8:31 PM, curls said:

How do you cook the TJs pancakes? I've yet to get the ones that I  have cooked to look like yours. They are very tasty but I have yet to achieve a flaky onion pancake. I'm heating in a skillet.

I cook them in a skillet, too.  I use a cast iron skillet with a little oil heated to hot but not more than a wisp of smoke.  Cook them on the first side until they are translucent all the way across - they usually start to bubble up at this point.  Then flip and cook the other side. Sometimes I flip back to the first side if I want it more cooked. Next time I'll make note of how long it takes.

One thing to note is that TJ's sells both Korean and Taiwanese-style pancakes and the Korean ones don't get flaky. 

This is the same breakfast I had yesterday.  Pumpernickel bagel (yesterday's was fresh baked, today's repeat was frozen, then resurrected via steam-bake in the CSO) with peanut butter.  

25AF8D8B-428F-4B59-9A6A-BF4B85FFE9F7_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.f8ea94e88090343cd43bf859dfa18764.jpeg

Just barely visible behind the bagel is a prune....or dried plum as they are called these days. I ate 3. They add kind of a PB& J vibe.

No, I do not usually serve PB prettily on the plate like that but I had to use a spatula to get the dregs today.  Bringing the jar to the table is one thing but adding a spatula is too much. 

And I eat my bagels by tearing off a piece and anointing each one individually. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

Yesterday, friends dropped off these nice young leeks from their garden:

2BC3DF6F-A725-439F-9E89-DE63DF2D501E_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.d3a24bef3f25096574ae091ed3168ae3.jpeg

All but three went into this Tom Colicchio recipe for baked eggs with braised leeks and mushrooms. Toasted whole grain baguette slices, Campari tomatoes, fresh squeezed tangerine juice, black coffee and a glass of bubbles.  Happy Easter!

682E6FEA-9683-496B-B9CF-826C1307CA76_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.3bac66049db7262bccc05667b1744d7b.jpeg

The recipe calls for an astonishing amount of heavy cream which I reduced but could easily have reduced further.  Still, it was delicious.  Decadently so. 

The recipe says to feel free to add other ingredients so I diced a little country ham and added it to the leeks as they cooked. I also added about double the given amount of mushrooms. 

Oh, and I don't have the best of luck with baked eggs so I dropped a poached egg on top after it came out of the oven. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Olive oil braised leeks and snap peas with feta and dill from Diana Henry's Simple.  Deviled eggs, Campari tomatoes and toasted whole grain baguette

9E768612-4CF1-49E0-9848-17AE945F5819_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.c9717a7e63ac5ac4badc9902e2f3a448.jpeg

Not sure if it shows up but the eggs are colored with turmeric for a little Easter touch 🐣

• Like 8
  • Delicious 4

@Dave R – no worries!  She always gives us 3 dozen – one dozen for each member of the family.  We eat them through summer.  So nice to have a fragrant, warm Hot Cross Bun in June!

@blue_dolphin - your bagels look perfect.  I vowed to make macarons, croissants, and bagels my retirement project.  So far – nada. 🤷‍♀️

Yesterday was an Easter leftover breakfast:

IMG_8944.thumb.jpg.22ac05b3d637c86ae5ceda1b54891ea0.jpg 

Today - more Easter leftovers:

IMG_8963.jpg.8fbce049a81a7e569476419a34df23f0.jpg

Not upset about leftovers yet.  

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

Another pumpernickel bagel.

FF474C90-EA60-4247-B9AC-6D3A5632B7DD_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.bc9e8aadfaacc73f6bbc0eba0a2e5d1b.jpeg

This time, I tried the Triple Lemon Cheese schmear recipe from Cathy Barrow's bagel book.  It's got lemon zest, lemon juice and salt-preserved lemon.  It's was great with the bagel but would also be excellent on little tea sandwiches with watercress, cucumber or radish.  Too bad I blew out the photo as it's very pretty with flecks of fresh parsley and the little cubes of preserved lemon. 

Edited by blue_dolphin
clicked submit too soon! (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 1

Breakfast this morning was a sandwich I fell in love with years ago in a convenience store in England, of all places:

IMG_8970.thumb.jpg.76bbf5c920ae8fd8b757578cf93e3eea.jpg

Hard-cooked egg and good ham on white bread.  Their sandwich also had egg mayonnaise (salad for those in the US).  I haven't made any of that yet, but I find that a good smear of mayo and mustard provides a similar flavor profile and moistness.  

IMG_8971.jpg.aafb640b2042fffbdbe99f2e16b4bdac.jpg

With a little bowl of Watergate salad:

IMG_8972.jpg.041cf1b8fa70a598c9034ac4a20ae5dd.jpg

A wonderful use of leftovers for someone who normally eschews them.  😁

• Like 5
  • Delicious 2

@Kim Shook, what's in the Watergate salad? I like the colors. 

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

@Kim Shook, what's in the Watergate salad? I like the colors. 

I'm going to quote myself as a followup: @Kim Shook, is this the Watergate salad to which you refer?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

FWIW: I don't like marshmallows in anything except hot chocolate. So I leave 'em out, and add more pineapple and nuts.

Similarly, you can make an orange salad (vanilla pudding, orange zest, canned mandarin sections); a citrus salad (lemon pudding, whatever assorted citrus you have around), and my favorite, a cherry salad (tart pie cherries, vanilla or chocolate pudding, slivered almonds). None can be considered high cuisine. But they all hit the spot for a quick sweet dish with lunch or dinner. Or for breakfast, or a snack.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

On 4/14/2022 at 2:34 PM, blue_dolphin said:

Hope it is okay to suggest a way to cook your own….

https://www.pbs.org/video/neighborhood-kitchens-neighborhood-kitchens-recipe-scallion-pancakes/

And a link to the recipe….

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/scallion-pancakes-with-soy-dipping-sauce

• Like 2

"There are no mistakes in bread baking, only more bread crumbs"

*Bernard Clayton, Jr.