• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2022

liuzhou

13 minutes ago, heidih said:

@RWood Any chance of the cake's inside view? Nice brunch selections.  My mom used to do the sweet Dutch Baby (powdered sugar + lemon juice)  with bacon alongside. Your savory one really appeals to me.

Cake will be cut later, can post then. 
My mom had a Dutch baby in Tahoe before with bacon that she used maple syrup with.  I went more savory with this one, but it could still use syrup I think. She said next time maybe just bacon, then she could have maple syrup 😊

• Like 1

2 hours ago, heidih said:

@RWood Any chance of the cake's inside view? Nice brunch selections.  My mom used to do the sweet Dutch Baby (powdered sugar + lemon juice)  with bacon alongside. Your savory one really appeals to me.

Cut cake ☺️

2A849BC1-FCF1-485B-A695-E6CAA92EB15B.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

Power was out when I got up this AM.  I was happy to pull out the Hario hand grinder I purchased after a previous outage so I could make a cup o'joe.  Then turned to the fridge for the chicken liver pâté I made yesterday. 

A8F93BEE-EAFE-41A4-AFC1-D7BD7FA14D3F_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.3062ffa12e6ff61673f4ccdc0255f7b4.jpeg

Power just came back on.  Thank you, So Cal Edison! 

Edited by blue_dolphin
typo (log)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

31 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Power was out when I got up this AM.  I was happy to pull out the Hario hand grinder I purchased after a previous outage so I could make a cup o'joe.  Then turned to the fridge for the chicken liver pâté I made yesterday. 

A8F93BEE-EAFE-41A4-AFC1-D7BD7FA14D3F_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.3062ffa12e6ff61673f4ccdc0255f7b4.jpeg

Power just came back on.  Thank you, So Cal Edison! 

SCE is lovely in my experience. Are those the mini toasts from Trader Joes? It has been years. Your pate!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Power was out when I got up this AM.  I was happy to pull out the Hario hand grinder I purchased after a previous outage so I could make a cup o'joe.  Then turned to the fridge for the chicken liver pâté I made yesterday

What causes the power outages in Southern Cal?  Too much perfect weather?

• Haha 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

17 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Extreme winds yesterday - precautionary outage maybe for @blue_dolphin Fire hazard alert is high.

On 5/10/2022 at 7:37 PM, weinoo said:

I dunno about Tuesday.  As @heidih mentioned, I'm in an area where they sometimes shut off the power as a precautionary ass-covering measure but my guess about yesterday is a blown transformer somewhere due to foliage or an animal. They have been pretty careful about the former so I'd bet on a crispy critter. 

On 5/10/2022 at 8:32 PM, weinoo said:

Those fire seasons appear to start earlier and earlier.

Indeed, local reports say that we are about 8 weeks ahead of "average" as measured by vegetation moisture levels. Witness last night's Laguna Nigel fire making very quick work of 20 homes so far. 

Sigh.  Breakfast goes on here:  egg salad sandwich with baby greens and crispy bacon on a brioche bun.

D60144D6-0D98-4E30-8B29-8B2F57F01264_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.9820cc596fe090eace0c851d79da9f02.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

9 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Cheese and spicy pepper stuffed potato ball, cooked up from my freezer stash, scrambled egg, Campari tomato

What is not to love about a potato ball filled with that many cheeses?. Was hoping they might be widely available. Damn. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

40678F35-1C27-4350-BA99-E3738E75F6AB.thumb.jpeg.76b10c1e19c2044c674d0a3ad41a8c5d.jpeg

Dinner for breakfast. Chicken Kiev (frozen, store-bought) baked in air fryer and some  Campari  tomatoes seasoned with a little salt and sugar and left to absorb  seasoning while chicken baked. 

• Like 8
  • Delicious 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

CED113D4-2BA3-4D8C-9005-5525E88D5902.thumb.jpeg.d63a03397d089422857715f7ce6d3c58.jpeg@Kerry Bealvisited the Dunnville Farmer’s Market on the weekend and I was the lucky recipient of some asparagus and some rhubarb. I sautéed the asparagus in some butter until it was just perfectly crisp tender. The potatoes are from Six California Kitchens posted by @blue_dolphinin the lunch thread. 

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Every component of that breakfast looks perfect to me, @Anna N!  

A bit of an unusual breakfast, even for me 🙃.  Spaghetti with shrimp, sugar snap peas and red bell pepper in a tequila lime cream topped with cilantro gremolata. 

9079EF06-E3C9-4DC4-91CF-9286BE2A296D_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.c31e2963a9fab005bc88270c922e215c.jpeg

I had some tequila lime cream leftover from yesterday's lunch and wondered how it would work on pasta.  Now I know! 

Edited by blue_dolphin
extra word (log)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

4 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

A bit of an unusual breakfast, even for me 🙃.  Spaghetti with shrimp, sugar snap peas and red bell pepper in a tequila lime cream topped with cilantro gremolata.

You could write a cookbook, 'Brunch with Blue Dolphin'. Crediting inspiration and the cookbooks you feed from. Using pantry staples, TJ's, yada, yada. Always looks so good. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@blue_dolphin – your breakfast sandwiches are so luscious looking!  And you’re right – sometimes you just gotta have a BLT. 

@Anna N – so great to see you posting here.  When I saw your Kiev, I went straight to my online freezer list to see if I had any and I DO!!!  That will figure into a meal soon!

@heidih – I agree about the lengthwise slice on the snow peas.  I love them done like that in salads and pancit and other noodle dishes.

Friday:

67415150910__0A7168BE-9572-4792-BA04-B5B067F6FDA7.jpg.fd51c0527122bf6ef08a56563319a184.jpg

Two slices of @Shelby’s bread – one got the full tomato and Duke’s treatment and the other just got a load of butter!

I made some of Ina Garten’s Cherry and Almond granola for Yogurt/Granola parfaits for a breakfast meeting of the ladies of our church on Saturday:

IMG_9349.jpg.c376f0153b42257fde44346153a940b4.jpg

This morning I had a little parfait with some Golden Syrup (out of honey and I don’t go to Costco on the weekend, if I can help it).  Also, a slice of @Shelby’s bread toasted:

IMG_9372.jpg.a7c11ba5f80a38f0ace9c48f9fb54423.jpg

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Delicious 1

24BA8E7A-0873-4EF0-BB52-8DC1E70D943A.thumb.jpeg.466da663343a5753dd1c494292dadba3.jpegSoftly scrambled eggs with sautéed asparagus and tomatoes. 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 2

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Warning:  This post is NSFAN (not safe for @Anna N) 🤣

Well I could handle the tomatoes!:smile:

• Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

7 hours ago, Anna N said:

24BA8E7A-0873-4EF0-BB52-8DC1E70D943A.thumb.jpeg.466da663343a5753dd1c494292dadba3.jpegSoftly scrambled eggs with sautéed asparagus and tomatoes. 

So nice to see you (another fellow Canadian) posting again. Even though you have limited eyesight, your breakfast was leaps and bounds above mine. (1 hardboiled egg, followed by a banana an hour later.) What can I say? I've never been a breakfast person - my Mom used to have to force me to eat something before school, so that may have something to do with it! Regardless, I would be happy to have your breakfast if someone made it and served it to me!

• Like 1

My first thought this morning was a stuffed omelette. I wanted to use up the asparagus before it goes south and I definitely have too many eggs on hand so it was bound to be something that involved these two things. I ultimately opted for the easier path — take the proposed omelet filling and fold it into some softly scrambled eggs. 

9BF7221B-8364-4FE7-9EAB-F8B68A33BD76.thumb.jpeg.d95808ef621787920aa1bafd8aacaf36.jpeg

Shallot, asparagus, mushrooms and scrambled egg. 

• Like 9
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog