• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast 2022

liuzhou

1 hour ago, BonVivant said:

A fantastic (bilingual) book I read every day in Oaxaca. Hotel staff told me it's not for sale anywhere (I couldn't find any ISBN number so I had to ask about the book). It is from Oaxacan tourism department and was given to hotels. The sole purpose of its existence is to promote Oaxacan gastronomy. No recipes but it covers everything else in delicious details.

We've discussed Diana Kennedy's book here. Sitting on my side desk now. Index is odd as book arranged by region but worth having.  https://forums.egullet.org/topic/123097-oaxaca-al-gusto-by-diana-kennedy/

• Like 1

Seafood potato balls from Porto's Bakery.  These are a seasonal item available during Lent. 

212449834_seafoodballs.thumb.jpg.ad71782059ea2e7345c361feb84cfe97.jpg

I had some leftover tomato & red bell pepper sauce from the Jollof rice & beans I made the other day.  It has ginger in it which I didn't really want on pizza but I figured it would be good with these.  I added a spoonful of sambal oelek and a squeeze of lime to tart it up a bit. 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 7

Yesterday:

IMG_8475.thumb.jpg.472cce984f655b439163389280a67d51.jpg

I broke the yolk and that is pieces of orange rind from the marmalade I brushed the ham slice with on the ham.  Great pear for March, though!

Made a batch of @Tropicalsenior’s microwave lemon curd yesterday:

IMG_8476.jpg.812dfc2f3008df487cff9d5d6c47c0e4.jpg 

I’m convinced.  Really good and easy.

This morning:

IMG_8478.jpg.3f4d2a68be84031db352be1644b7e77d.jpg 

Benton’s bacon and toast with the new lemon curd and strawberry preserves. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

Our old friend came this morning (7am) for "coffee".    I served these cream scones, which were a cinch to make in minutes and absolutely delicious.    Light as air and addictive.   Three of us devoured 6.    Considering the ease and resulting quality, this is a real keeper.

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.

1 hour ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

Our old friend came this morning (7am) for "coffee".    I served these cream scones, which were a cinch to make in minutes and absolutely delicious.    Light as air and addictive.   Three of us devoured 6.    Considering the ease and resulting quality, this is a real keeper.

Yum!  I swear by @tikidoc's Cream Scone recipe.  I've made tons of variations and they have all been great. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@Margaret Pilgrim – thank you for the scone recommendation!  I’ve saved that recipe to try.

This morning:

IMG_8487.jpg.31730a23c02d32b3ebfb45a9f64022fa.jpg

Nostalgia in a bowl.  One of the ways Momma could lure me to breakfast was to make buttered soft-boiled eggs. 

Good memories Kim. My Mom did this too. Eggs served in a parfait glass with "toast soldiers." 

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

5 hours ago, Kim Shook said:

@Margaret Pilgrim – thank you for the scone recommendation!  I’ve saved that recipe to try.

This morning:

IMG_8487.jpg.31730a23c02d32b3ebfb45a9f64022fa.jpg

Nostalgia in a bowl.  One of the ways Momma could lure me to breakfast was to make buttered soft-boiled eggs. 

14 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

Good memories Kim. My Mom did this too. Eggs served in a parfait glass with "toast soldiers." 

I've not pulled out the parfaits at breakfast but we do do  a version of this.    My soft-boiled eggs are not reliable since I whore myself around among sizes from medium to jumbo depending on which is the better market value.   So we (I) now poach eggs for this presentation wherein I can have a better handle on their doneness.    Lovely bowls of buttered toast glistened with yolks accompanied with chunks of white.    Good morning!

• Like 3
  • Delicious 1

eGullet member #80.

On 3/8/2022 at 9:05 AM, Kim Shook said:

@blue_dolphin - those potato balls are amazing.  Mr. Kim would love the spicy ones and we'd all love the seafood ones.  

They are tasty little guys.  Their standard version is stuffed with picadillo (Cuban style ground beef with onion, bell pepper, olive, and Spanish seasonings).  They are good, though I prefer that filling in a pastry rather than the potato balls.  And around Thanksgiving, they make a turkey, mushroom and gravy filled potato ball which is kinda fun - just add a little cranberry sauce and you've got your whole dinner!

@Kerala, that omelet looks fine to me but what really catches my eye is that tarted up toast on the side.  Looks like a meal in itself!

Today's breakfast was a bowl of sweet potato grits from Black Food.  The recipe is available online here.  I added some crumbled Gorgonzola and toasted walnuts. 

A242A2FF-02C2-4F6B-8996-F0607B40DC1F_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.153c4164b35b3a385197d92415c1e8df.jpeg

I wasn't sure I was going to like the sweetness of a sweet potato in the grits but it's quite good. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 4

4 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

They are tasty little guys.  Their standard version is stuffed with picadillo (Cuban style ground beef with onion, bell pepper, olive, and Spanish seasonings).  They are good, though I prefer that filling in a pastry rather than the potato balls.  And around Thanksgiving, they make a turkey, mushroom and gravy filled potato ball which is kinda fun - just add a little cranberry sauce and you've got your whole dinner!

I wonder how difficult it would be to make something like this, and how one would go about it. Make the filling, freeze, then wrap good stiff mashed potatoes around it, roll in crumbs and freeze? What do you think?

• Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

46 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I wonder how difficult it would be to make something like this, and how one would go about it. Make the filling, freeze, then wrap good stiff mashed potatoes around it, roll in crumbs and freeze? What do you think?

This will get you started  https://foodisafourletterword.com/recipe/portos-bakery-potato-ball-recipe-papa-rellena/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, Smithy said:

That should work. I bought these frozen from their bake at home offerings. If you will bake rather than fry, to ensure a nice golden crust, I’d pre-toast the panko. 
Heidi beat me to finding a link!

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

That should work. I bought these frozen from their bake at home offerings. If you will bake rather than fry, to ensure a nice golden crust, I’d pre-toast the panko. 
Heidi beat me to finding a link!

I've never been there 9way other end of basin) but some Portuguese friends (well 1/2) have shared them. Such a treasure of a place.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, heidih said:

Papa rellena is the generic term I think, and they're common around the Caribbean.   I encountered them at a Colombian place with a fried chicken-like coating and ground beef filling, meant to be eaten out of hand like a snack, but those seafood ones are killing me.

• Like 1