• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

Hortopita - wild greens phyllo pie with homemade phyllo.

The hand made phyllo is very different than the thin kind available in markets - it is more pastry like, crunchier with more byte, the part in contact with the filling a bit like lasagna noodles. I find it works much better with savory preparations.

The greens are mallow, Jerusalem salvia, dill, scallions. Also feta, onion, coriander seeds, green chili, a hint of cumin.

With salad, pickles, tahini, yogurt ands ouzo.

PXL_20220404_181300922.thumb.jpg.eda7b5df91c8b3bf62e9ca661afe8f0c.jpg

PXL_20220404_182822505.thumb.jpg.211cd6b4365b4ebda6d36ebbd0c30fe5.jpg

PXL_20220404_181320181.thumb.jpg.5e327f07e0fdb15cb626d3c14480bcc0.jpg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 4

~ Shai N.

31 minutes ago, shain said:

Hortopita - wild greens phyllo pie with homemade phyllo.

You always have such interesting ingredients available to your area. I appreciate the listed combinations. 

Easy weeknight spicy pasta gorgonzola puttanesca. Roasted another batch of artichokes, prosciutto, and the last portobello, (Misfits sent by mistake). A favorite pasta from a case I purchased from a restaurant supply last Fall. Lots of fennel, celery, leek, I removed with a spider and plated before tossing the pasta in the sauce. The rest of the artichokes I froze in food saver packs. Bonus points for a couple lunches.

Screen Shot 2022-04-05 at 8.13.39 AM.png

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Chicken, pancetta and parmesan risotto. IMG_20220405_213812.thumb.jpg.97b62c00b8b1be38349e3524fc24c9c0.jpgThis wasn't entirely a happy outcome in feeding the family, as there were varying preferences for the bite on the rice.

Edited by Kerala (log)
  • Like 11
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Kerala said:

Chicken, pancetta and parmesan risotto. IMG_20220405_213812.thumb.jpg.97b62c00b8b1be38349e3524fc24c9c0.jpgThis wasn't entirely a happy outcome in feeding the family, as there were varying preferences for the bite on the rice.

Overdone or not done enough?  From looks alone, it screams for more liquid.  Interesting flavour combo, though.

2 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Overdone or not done enough?  From looks alone, it screams for more liquid.  Interesting flavour combo, though.

I thought it was about right, and so did my two young girls. It was unacceptably undercooked for the wife and MIL.

"It screams for more liquid." I can accept what you are saying, and am happy to take that on board (you're right).

However, that's an outcome of decisions made at the last addition of stock and time to serving. That wasn't the problem. It was a disagreement about how cooked the grain of rice should be. The missus referenced my younger sister's risotto, which is "done" to her taste. That is true, but my sister lets it cook without very much agitation, and although the rice is cooked through, the sauce is not as creamy.

In terms of the flavour combination, I was merging Marcella Hazan's basic parmesan risotto with this from olive.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Annie_H said:

You always have such interesting ingredients available to your area. I appreciate the listed combinations

Thanks, though admittedly I usually envy people here for their access to ethnic markets and restaurants.

And as for the leafy greens, they grow as weeds here, and so we're lucky to have the garden space to let them grow 🙂

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

Two versions of Veggie Pho!!

51985263214_0e428c6ef8_b.jpg

51984977126_dd3b1e2e67_b.jpg

The broth was Trader Joe's low sodium broth and mushrroms,  fortified it wioth charred ginger and onions, cardomen, star anise, coriander, Tamari paste

First had a tone of greens,  mint, cilantro, basil, w Kohlrabi, peas, green onions

Second was  just peas, and onions.

The Trader joes veggie broth was awful.  but I doctered up the flavors..Hoisin chili paste  

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 2

Its good to have Morels

11 hours ago, Kerala said:

I thought it was about right, and so did my two young girls. It was unacceptably undercooked for the wife and MIL.

"It screams for more liquid." I can accept what you are saying, and am happy to take that on board (you're right).

However, that's an outcome of decisions made at the last addition of stock and time to serving. That wasn't the problem. It was a disagreement about how cooked the grain of rice should be. The missus referenced my younger sister's risotto, which is "done" to her taste. That is true, but my sister lets it cook without very much agitation, and although the rice is cooked through, the sauce is not as creamy.

In terms of the flavour combination, I was merging Marcella Hazan's basic parmesan risotto with this from olive.

Cook on the rice is certainly a personal preference.  I remember in various parts of Italy it was always slightly different (I am sure the varietal of rice used also played into this somewhat).  I prefer it with with a tiny bite in the center of the grain, but not much. 

As you said, the liquid topic is directly related to the last addition of liquid (I bet a parm infused chicken stock would really work nice here) and how much it is let to cook off, along with the amount of resting time.  To me there is a very fine line in this topic.  It should not be soupy, but also, should be wet enough that you see a glistening creamy liquid around the edge. 

Cooking risotto without much agitation!?  Blasphemous!  Sounds like baked rice to me! 

• Like 1

On 4/4/2022 at 11:52 PM, Honkman said:

Pork sausages baked in the oven in a mixture of apples, onions, mustard and maple syrup (which created a great sauce) and finished with some blackberries - served with minted mashed potatoes

I don't know whether I'm more entranced by the blackberries or the notion of minted mashed potatoes.

I finally cooked!

20220406_074711.thumb.jpg.65205861d967ae1e0265a025ce907265.jpg

Rump roast, SV 24 hours at 135F, chilled and then convection baked 20 min at 450F. Bag juices used to make gravy. Fordhook limas.

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Cod cakes with a serano/kale mince slaw. Horseradish chipotle cream. RG ayocote negro bean. Nice big black bean. Much longer cooking time than usual. Did not swell much after an overnight soak. Firm but very creamy. (held their shape)

IMG_2762.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Delicious 1

6 hours ago, shain said:

And as for the leafy greens, they grow as weeds here, and so we're lucky to have the garden space to let them grow 🙂

Here too in my Mediterranean climate. Greek families enjoy weekend excursions on the hillsides cutting their horta. EXCEPT we've been in drought for a few years so no greenery worth foraging...  @russ parsons wrote about it here https://www.latimes.com/food/la-fo-calcook1-2009apr01-story.html

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Duvel said:

Grilled pork collar, 

Exactly how I'd also do a pork shoulder steak.

Are you able to buy collar steaks, because here I basically have to buy the whole collar.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

49C8A039-0489-4A37-AD81-6F9511B069EC.thumb.jpeg.37d03e90f9632f35afab81b9dc375def.jpeg

Escarole and Alubia blanca bean soup.  Beans cooked initially with a bit of prosciutto end, gifted to me at DiPalo's.  At the table, anointed with olio nuovo and parmesan.  A nice, crusty baguette along with.

• Like 11
  • Delicious 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

3 hours ago, KennethT said:

what do you use for a mango sauce? Is it cooked?

I did not really cook it, but I did warm it up.  I did not measure anything, just dumped stuff in the blender until it tasted good.  I used mango chunks, coconut milk, garlic, fish sauce, cilantro, chiles, lemongrass, and a little brown sugar.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, liamsaunt said:

I did not really cook it, but I did warm it up.  I did not measure anything, just dumped stuff in the blender until it tasted good.  I used mango chunks, coconut milk, garlic, fish sauce, cilantro, chiles, lemongrass, and a little brown sugar.  

Thanks... It looks great, but no palm sugar??

@Norm Matthews – I like the béchamel version, too, but that lasagna looks delicious. 

@Duvel – once again, I’m so envious of yours (AND your young man’s) breading expertise! 

@Dejah – your seafood paella and the scallops look so wonderful.  Smart to do the scallops separately.

@Shelby – those radishes.  I want them and butter and bread and a plate of Malden salt for lunch.  I won’t show them to Mr. Kim.  He’s sensitive about radishes.  I don’t know if you remember his sad little radishes last year.  They were basically little fuzzy red roots😂.  Tasted good, though.  Glad you tried the chicken.  We need to have some kind of fried chicken soon. 

@kayb – Yay for you!!!  And it looks great.  We love limas!

On Saturday, Jessica requested shrimp burgers.  Brioche buns with some creamy horseradish/chili sauce:

IMG_8772.thumb.jpg.a61a21e01087880949a8f2993f8a8eba.jpg 

Boston lettuce:

IMG_8773.thumb.jpg.f8ed002aeb773470261a8964045d9ff8.jpg 

Shrimp burgers:

IMG_8775.jpg.f9237c325cf939d146d7838f529c0dc4.jpg 

More sauce:

IMG_8776.jpg.4d933da404f690d606b78009f0e80674.jpg 

Served with slaw, tots, and a kinda-sorta panzanella salad:

IMG_8777.jpg.78f8aa1fd977b4fa2056c1246abd146a.jpg

IMG_8774.thumb.jpg.d526d5b4f5c4870ad2b8579551823267.jpg 

Campari tomatoes, red bell pepper (I avoided them and I find that cut large, they pollute the dish less), celery, English cucumber, and some too-hard croutons I made.  Semi-soaked in some Kraft Zesty Italian dressing (my college roommate introduced me to Kraft Zesty along with taco salad and I still crave it sometimes). 

Dinner on Monday was a bit of a bust.  One of Jessica’s friends had told us about a waffle hack.  You prepare a muffin mix according to directions on the package and bake them in a waffle maker.  A ‘muffle’, if you will.  We got home late, so I started dinner right away, not realizing that both Mr. Kim and Jessica were going to have important phone calls to attend to.  The muffles were the perfect texture when they came out of the waffle maker and I tried to keep them warm in the CSO, but they ended up like rusks when we went to eat them.  I’ll give them another try, but next time, I’ll cook them when everyone is ready to eat:

IMG_8800.jpg.6e8f0a32f892d6574d2e8ce26d04260f.jpg

With scrambled eggs and Benton’s bacon. 

Last night – salad with Momofuku dressing:

IMG_8803.thumb.jpg.356b714394b1715dae284a3f217243d8.jpg 

BBQ flavored pork cutlets, sweet potatoes, and fixed up boxed mac and cheese:

IMG_8805.jpg.4640a276384ff3a1613d7226fb70bd93.jpg 

The pork was an Aldi Shake & Bake knock-off.  I didn’t grow up eating Shake & Bake but gave it a try when Marlene talked about it.  I ended up actually liking it.  But this was awful.  The cutlets never got crisp on the outside and the coating spicy to the point that it was almost inedible.  Even Mr. Kim, who is a stunt eater extraordinaire, said it was exceedingly hot.  Thank goodness I made some cornbread:

IMG_8804.jpg.9df29056d72b5eac30607fd8824153f6.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

The latest Omicron variant has laid low several of my friends, so I was busy making wonton soups for deliveries. The broth and noodles were kept separate.

Wontons6880.jpg.fdf0fd1dfbf1dc122876c9d4301a65a7.jpg

Had lots of filling left, so it was stuffed tofu puffs with Chinese mushrooms in oyster sauce for our supper. My favourite part is the wilted lettuce drenched in oyster sauce!

301700574_StuffedTofu6883.jpg.40800de0b6d456248af7b554b462da69.jpg     

1061834889_StuffedTofu6884.jpg.8a8cffba3273e2e3ab021800759054e1.jpg

Grilled Lemongrass / Kaffir Lime leaves marinated lamb chops, coconut turmeric rice, mixed veg, and pickled asparagus for supper last night.

1341465605_LambChopsCoconutRice6889.jpg.bf432cafee776b2ca5dfd2c17b5cd10a.jpg

Edited by Dejah (log)
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com