• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2022

liuzhou

1 hour ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

For decades I called my mother at/about midnight every year regardless of where we were.    When she passed, I decided I could finally go to bed when I/we wanted.   

We are always awakened by fireworks in our neighborhood.    But this year, some tyke had one of those "goose horns", was allowed to stay up and honked the new year in for half an hour!   

When I lived at my cottage the tradition in the hood was the banging of pots and pans by kids like a marching band.. Yes there were some spectacular illegal fireworks. One year I strong-armed my male cousin into going out and blowing his trumpet (best use he ever made of it), and my Swiss ancestry neighbor always brought out his Alpen Horn like this 

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 4
  • Delicious 1

7 minutes ago, Dante said:

Mac and cheese with fried eggs and sausage meatballs with maple syrup and cherry jam in.

20220103_195236.jpg

Well golly jeepers now ya got me. I am a sweet/savory fiend. Your inspiration?

Vietnamese chicken thighs (marinated overnight with jalapeño , lemongrass, fish sauce and sugar) and some quickly stir-fried vegetables (broccoli, green beans, red pepper, bok choi, scallions) over rice (and still no idea how to plate dishes that they don’t look like you accidentally dropped the plate)

3CCF7577-593E-4E5E-8768-1CD1C20898E3.thumb.jpeg.5e9091f7eb2366580407af5d26aba857.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, MetsFan5 said:

@Shelby would you mind elaborating on the mushroom salad? I adore mushrooms. 

It's super easy.  I've been ordering a variety of mushrooms, but also this would be good with just plain old white ones.  Chop up the mushrooms.  Dice up some garlic. Chop up some parsley if you have it.  Splash of olive oil in a skillet.  Add mushrooms and cook down a bit.  Add garlic.  Continue cooking until mushrooms are done.  Dump in a bowl.  Add parsley.  Couple splashes of red wine vinegar and salt and pepper.  Good stuff.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Ronnie braved the cold yesterday morning and went deer hunting.  Got us a couple of does (it's doe only season).  We should be set now on meat for the coming year :) .  I think tomorrow or Thursday we will butcher them.  It's so cold they can hang in the garage with absolutely no problems.

So, tenderloins for dinner last night

thumbnail_IMG_1714.jpg.c2af129ce68da0a851f4aa6c3ebf3b8b.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1717.jpg.fb8c709bfb5b7f4f595328d24e573bbb.jpg

And boy were they tender.

I made another Caesar salad, some sautéed spinach and some pasta to go with.

And wine.  Lots of wine.

• Like 16
  • Delicious 3

Beef stew at husband's request. Not a pretty picture, but served with dumplings, filled the bill on a snowy night. My husband took a couple of servings to our 85 year old neighbour who still takes care of his 5 acre property and flock of sheep all by himself. I keep telling myself I'm going to learn to take better pictures of food!

stew_6389.jpg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 2

14 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

Beef stew at husband's request. Not a pretty picture, but served with dumplings, filled the bill on a snowy night. My husband took a couple of servings to our 85 year old neighbour who still takes care of his 5 acre property and flock of sheep all by himself. I keep telling myself I'm going to learn to take better pictures of food!

stew_6389.jpg

As my former shepherd friend would say "looks like the muck those silly ewes would get stuck in"  Totally just kidding - sure it was delicious and comforting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

stew_6389.jpg

It looks yummy!

• Like 3

@Kim ShookThanks for your well wishes for my hubby. THat was quite the NYE spread you put on!

Recent meals: Black Bean Garlic ribs in the Instant Pot and stir-fried peashoots. Always need extra rice for the rib sauce!

174342170_BlkBeanGarlicribspeashoots6206.jpg.27dd234e630f37e28afe897ee63a4fea.jpg

Had picked up a b one-in turkey breast just after Christmas. It got roasted last night with carrots, leeks, an d celery. Still have lots for lunches!

921102877_RoastTurkeyFixings6214.jpg.7c547c1188c59984fc2e75d665b98d3a.jpg

It was a blustery snow day today. Time for some deep frying! Fish'n'chips with pickerel from Lake Winnipeg! I was too lazy to make curry gravy, so we just had malt vinegar.

770590373_FishnChips6218.jpg.1ab7af6fc83da16c14366333b649f60e.jpg

• Like 14
  • Delicious 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

8 hours ago, Dejah said:

Black Bean Garlic ribs in the Instant Pot

Is this similar to what we see in restaurants as the classic dim sum dish, pai gwat, which are evidently steamed?

If so, do you have an IP recipe?

I worked for a woman, in my second or third job out of college in Silicon Valley, and she would bring these in for lunch; they were awesome.  Her recipe included, if my memory serves me correctly (ha!), dried bamboo shoots, as well as the technique of blanching the ribs first.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

19 hours ago, BeeZee said:

@liamsaunt, was the flounder simply poached in the curry broth to cook? It looks like it's holding together very well rather than flaking apart.

Yes, I poached it in the broth.  I rolled it up before poaching which helped keep it together, I think.  It came a little unrolled but did not fall apart.  

Yesterday, salmon banh mi (again).  I got tail pieces in my fish share this week, so had to grind them up.  I wanted to do something different but my niece really wanted the banh mi, so I made that again.  I only had purple daikon radish left in my radish collection, and it turned neon pink when I pickled it.  

49641767_salmonbanhmi.thumb.jpg.217252ceab20e0383c698136333aa795.jpg

• Like 15
  • Delicious 2

3 hours ago, Shelby said:

Chicken enchiladas, stuffed poblanos and RG black beans last night

thumbnail_IMG_1718.jpg.665d27db98a5370f0de4c4cf56e953aa.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1719.jpg.30898f1c9b793df726042669f1664019.jpg

That looks fabulous! I got a tortilla press for Christmas, so something Mexicanish is in our future so I can try it out.

• Thanks 1

@MaryIsobelcongrats on your tortilla press.  If you have not made them before, I find it tricky to get the right amount of hydration so they peel off the plastic used while pressing them.  Somewhere here there is a thread on making your own and that’s where I found the perfect ratio.  300 grams Masa Herina and 400 grams of warm water with a pinch of salt.  Mix and let sit for 20 min or so.  I then use about 35 grams dough per tortilla.

Good luck.  They are delicious.

Edited by Okanagancook (log)
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

That looks fabulous! I got a tortilla press for Christmas, so something Mexicanish is in our future so I can try it out.

I have a tortilla press, too, that I've never used!  I need to be brave like you and just do it.  Can't wait to see how yours turn out!