Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kim Shook

Doubletree Cookies

Recommended Posts

I've never had one of their cookies.  Are they really that special?  If they are, I'll have to make some.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I've never had one of their cookies.  Are they really that special?  If they are, I'll have to make some.  

I've had them once.  Many years ago.  All I remember is that we spent a large part of our first night there trying to figure out how we could manage to get more.  

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember liking the Doubletree cookie. I would have considered it a chocolate chip cookie. I don't remember the oats element, but the recipe that @Kim Shook posted calls for 1/2 cup.

 

I remember the cookie being large with both soft and crispy elements. There's a generous feel to the size of the cookie. Would probably be good heated up or fresh from the oven.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

why can't places use recipes by weight, your US cups are different to ours 😭

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are OK. Soft and warm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to ask what anyone thinks a quarter teaspoon of fresh lemon juice is going to add to this recipe.  I’m not cutting open a whole lemon for a quarter teaspoon!😂

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't imagine that a mild vinegar wouldn't serve the same purpose (whatever it may be), with that small of an amount.

  • Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2020 at 4:39 PM, BeeZee said:

I can't imagine that a mild vinegar wouldn't serve the same purpose (whatever it may be), with that small of an amount.

 

I agree; even then brown sugar is generally acidic enough to react with baking soda. Sometimes some of these additions are a result of changing supplies over time and may or may not continue to be required (but nobody wants to make the change). Would be interesting to do side-by-sides. 

 

I always like to add oats to chocolate chip cookies, but I haven't tried cinnamon before. Seems a good idea.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2020 at 3:07 PM, Anna N said:

I have to ask what anyone thinks a quarter teaspoon of fresh lemon juice is going to add to this recipe.  I’m not cutting open a whole lemon for a quarter teaspoon!😂

 

You can freeze lemon juice in ice cube trays, so in this case you would just need to pick a lemon juice ice cube from the freezer, cut a small chunk and done.

When cooking at home, especially for a single person, the needed amount of lemon juice is most times a fraction of a lemon. Personally I squeeze 5-6 lemons at a time and freeze the juice, so I have fresh lemon juice whenever I need it without the hassle of squeezing a single lemon at a time, with leftover juice and a juicer to clean.

 

 

 

Teo

 

  • Like 1

Teo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/10/2020 at 10:27 AM, tikidoc said:

Have not tried it yet, but they published a version with weights instead of volumes.  
 

https://covalent-hiltoncf.s3.amazonaws.com/DoubleTree/Brand-comms/2020/Q2/DoubleTree-Signature-Cookie-Recipe-Metric.pdf

THANK YOU.

When the recipe was released, despite being thankful for another cookie recipe, I was disgruntled with the video in that the baker clearly was using weights but the instructions used volume.  I don't like volume 😛

 

I've been wanting to make these, but don't have walnuts.  The cookie seems like a "let's throw all the good things together" cookie.  Has anyone noticed the low baking temp?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, teonzo said:

When cooking at home, especially for a single person, the needed amount of lemon juice is most times a fraction of a lemon. Personally I squeeze 5-6 lemons at a time and freeze the juice, so I have fresh lemon juice whenever I need it without the hassle of squeezing a single lemon at a time, with leftover juice and a juicer to clean.

Dude, it's a lot easier to just cut a lemon, and let it turn into a science experiment 😁  In this case, with this forum, people will want a fancy ice-pick to chip away and get 1/4tsp from the frozen cube. 😜

 

On 4/14/2020 at 6:07 AM, Anna N said:

I have to ask what anyone thinks a quarter teaspoon of fresh lemon juice is going to add to this recipe.  I’m not cutting open a whole lemon for a quarter teaspoon!😂

Up until about a year ago I would've thought that it contributes nothing.  However, last year some forum got me curious about chili (which I don't like to begin with), and after reviewing some "award winning recipes" I believed the addition of 1/4tsp brown sugar amongst a *massive* spice bomb with extra MSG, all the meats, dg-al-a-peenose [sic], etc to be a ridiculously stupid recipe item.  To confirm my ever wise wisdom, while making my first ever award-winning-recipe chili, I split the batch off into three: no sugar, scaled 1/4tsp and one which I gradually increased the amount of sugar over the course of the cook until it was cloying.  Surprisingly, it made a difference, especially once cooled to warm temps - a justifiable amount was, indeedly-doodly, somewhere between 1/4-1tsp!  I still don't like chili.

Perhaps the suggestion of using vinegar would work.  Or, other alternatives, maybe a little yogurt, butter milk, pinch of citric or tartaric acid, etc.. ;D  But don't omit it.  The Hiltons are watching! 😈


Edited by jedovaty (log)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, teonzo said:

 

You can freeze lemon juice in ice cube trays, so in this case you would just need to pick a lemon juice ice cube from the freezer, cut a small chunk and done.

When cooking at home, especially for a single person, the needed amount of lemon juice is most times a fraction of a lemon. Personally I squeeze 5-6 lemons at a time and freeze the juice, so I have fresh lemon juice whenever I need it without the hassle of squeezing a single lemon at a time, with leftover juice and a juicer to clean.

 

 

 

Teo

 

OK. I get that. I still don’t get what difference 1/4 teaspoon of lemon juice will make to this recipe.


Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can see it as a seasoning. Most of the times the only "seasoning" you see in pastry is a pinch of salt. But seasonings can serve in pastry as they serve in savory. Small amounts of peppers, acids, MSG and so on can make a good difference for the final product. If you add a bit of white pepper (not to detect clearly its presence) to strawberry sorbet then you enhance it. If you add a pinch of MSG to nut cookies then you enhance them. Acids help to cut fats and brighten the flavor, so on.

 

 

 

Teo

 


Teo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, teonzo said:

You can see it as a seasoning. Most of the times the only "seasoning" you see in pastry is a pinch of salt. But seasonings can serve in pastry as they serve in savory. Small amounts of peppers, acids, MSG and so on can make a good difference for the final product. If you add a bit of white pepper (not to detect clearly its presence) to strawberry sorbet then you enhance it. If you add a pinch of MSG to nut cookies then you enhance them. Acids help to cut fats and brighten the flavor, so on.

 

 

 

Teo

 

If you can detect the presence or absence of 1/4 teaspoon of lemon juice in this particular recipe then you obviously have an exquisite palate that puts mine to shame. Good for you. No hard feelings.

  • Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/12/2020 at 5:40 AM, Anna N said:

If you can detect the presence or absence of 1/4 teaspoon of lemon juice in this particular recipe then you obviously have an exquisite palate that puts mine to shame. Good for you. No hard feelings.

Pinch of salt into porridge or sweet foods, pinch of cayenne into savory foods, pinch of brown sugar into chili, etc.  It's not to taste lemon, it's an enhancer, like teo said.  When grocery store shopping returns to normal and I can get the ingredients I don't have, I want to give these a try as written, and if they are good, I'll do more batches one without lemon and one with another acid (vinegar, citric, tartaric, whatever feels easy).  If no one does it before me, then I'll share findings.

Why is no one talking about the low baking temp?!  It's very suspect!


Edited by jedovaty (log)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's just it, though, I can taste salt in porridge. I don't think anyone can really taste that much lemon in a full batch of more than two dozen cookies, and I agree with Anna. 

 

I don't see a big problem with the baking temperature, especially since they're having you bake them for a minimum of 20 minutes. It's probably pretty forgiving, if nothing else, which may or may not be the point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've saved the metric PDF to try sometime. Regarding the lemon juice my mindset is to always make the recipe exactly as presented the first time I try it. I will use my squeeze lemon juice bottle for the lemon juice.

  • Like 1

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...