• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

andiesenji

2019 Holiday Cooking and Baking

I couldn't find a topic for this year so am starting one now.

All I am doing with this one is posting my annual REMINDER to NOT discard any dried fruits; raisins, figs, apricots, peaches, plums  and even the "fruitcake mix"  because ALL THIS STUFF IS EXPENSIVE.

IT CAN BE RECONSTITUTED AND RE-INFUSED AND MADE USEFUL - IT JUST REQUIRES STEAMING.

Here is an example of a tray full of very dry dried fruit that looks beyond help.

309963545_Mixedfruitdrycopy.jpg.df8a42c0e443317f657c6d63f385a6ca.jpg

And this is that same tray of fruit after steaming for 20 minutes.

Just like magic it has become soft, moist, translucent and ready to be chopped and used in baked goods.

1377633401_Fruitaftersteamingcopy.jpg.69e8c7654d16ca0cfa73fb0962c79007.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Ohhh, I haven't even thought about holiday gift baskets. The usual fudge and pralines. Some kind of cookies; some kind of quick bread. Maybe raincoast crisps and some kind of spread. Pickled quail eggs and sausage, for the novelty value. Candied pecans, Chex mix. Whatever else strikes my fancy.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Does Halloween count?   Because I am in the middle of making Martha Stewart's Ladies Fingers and mens toes for an early Halloween party today.  If they come out OK I'll post pics in the daily baking thread.

I am planning to do a lot more of the King Arthur Caribbean rum cake,  soon, in small loaf pans for Christmas sharing.

I don't think I'll do any cookies this year.   But I could change my mind.

• Like 1

And as @gfweb showed us over on the CSO thread, one can steam dried fruit in the little oven.  In fact, I did that yesterday to resurrect some rather shrivelled looking raisins.  Works a treat and easy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I couldn't decide if this link to an archive of Christmas and Holiday fruitcakes and puddings and cookies recipe booklets needs to go in the Fruit Cake thread, the Christmas cookie/baking thread or the Out of Print cookbook thread.    The first few pages of each of these old gems are fruit cakes of various styles.   I enjoyed perusing them, I hope somebody finds recipes they like or thought they lost.

Edited by lemniscate (log)
  • Like 1

On 10/26/2019 at 7:57 AM, kayb said:

Pickled quail eggs and sausage

@kayb

Can  you tell me more about this preparation?  Are the eggs and sausage pickled together or separately?

Edited by lemniscate (log)

I boil the quail eggs about three minutes, which I figure ought to be close to medium for the little things. Chill and peel, cut up the sausage, put garlic, a bay leaf, some red pepper flackes and some dill in the jars, and pour hot brine over. Then water-bath process for 10 minutes. If you were just going to keep them in the fridge, I'd boil them a bit longer.

• Delicious 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

18 minutes ago, lemniscate said:

I couldn't decide if this link to an archive of Christmas and Holiday fruitcakes and puddings and cookies recipe booklets needs to go in the Fruit Cake thread, the Christmas cookie/baking thread or the Out of Print cookbook thread.    The first few pages of each of these old gems are fruit cakes of various styles.   I enjoyed perusing them, I hope somebody finds recipes they like or thought they lost.

Thank you.  I am going to have soooo much fun going through these.

32 minutes ago, kayb said:

I boil the quail eggs about three minutes, which I figure ought to be close to medium for the little things. Chill and peel, cut up the sausage, put garlic, a bay leaf, some red pepper flackes and some dill in the jars, and pour hot brine over. Then water-bath process for 10 minutes. If you were just going to keep them in the fridge, I'd boil them a bit longer.

I am just impressed that you can peel them well. They can be a pain. 

• Like 1

My trick for peeling quail, or any other, eggs is this: Drain the water, then bounce the pan around vigorously to crack all the shells. Then fill with ice water and let sit for 15 minutes or so. Drain again, roll eggs in your palms to create a fine network of cracks all over the shell, and start peeling at the blunt end, where the air pocket is. Quail eggs will often peel in one long "ribbon", quite easily.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

I try to keep a tradition from my husband's family alive.    I seem to be the last woman (alive) in his family who makes this bread, which I learned from his Austrian mother: poteca, walnut roll.

487000312_ScreenShot2019-11-09at12_31_06PM.png.bdaaf147f68f4639fef07e20f9566621.png

• Like 6

eGullet member #80.

1 hour ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I try to keep a tradition from my husband's family alive.    I seem to be the last woman (alive) in his family who makes this bread, which I learned from his Austrian mother: poteca, walnut roll.

487000312_ScreenShot2019-11-09at12_31_06PM.png.bdaaf147f68f4639fef07e20f9566621.png

I'm impressed! In northeastern Minnesota, especially the Iron Range, potica (their spelling) lives on. Before I retired I had opportunities to go by a bakery that made a nice potica. I've never tried making it myself. 

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown