• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2019

liuzhou

7 minutes ago, Anna N said:

The obvious answer is to make your own but I am long past that in terms of energy or enthusiasm. 

I have made my own here - just once. They  were good, but not perfect as I can't get the right seasonings in China. But I'm 100% with you on the energy and enthusiasm issue.

PS. I hate most Chinese sausages.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Haha 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

302597D2-7560-4B27-A2B5-CFAADE84D5FC.thumb.jpeg.3bfe32cdacc9583fc39204db93d13bfd.jpeg

One of those sui generis dishes. Found some tomato passata in the freezer that needed using, had a zucchini that was headed to the compost heap, added a couple of chopped mushrooms, a minced onion and half a pound of ground beef combined with some orzo that I received as a gift yesterday. Cooked in the ceramic dish that is part of the A4 box. I topped it with a bit of grated cheese that was beginning to dry out.  

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Today, I had to salvage some overcooked beans...

refried_3.thumb.jpg.ad501efb3ba62e9e610850ea0ccc5876.jpg

My first refried beans. :D

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

A cigarette is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want?  - Oscar Wilde

On 12/5/2019 at 1:34 PM, heidih said:

I'd guess yours are from Pekin ducks - they are huge compared to KCs

Nope. They are khakis. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

After church on Sunday was stopped in the middle of errands to have lunch at an old favorite, Mary Angela's.  Just a classic, old-style pizza and subs joint.  Good salads and decent pasta, but we usually go when we want pizza.  Steak and cheese sub and a slice to share:

brunch.thumb.jpg.cc9feb4652e3781697c6ede387dddae6.jpg

• Like 4

I roasted 2 turkey breasts and a ham for Mr. Kim’s office Xmas party.  There was enough extra that he brought some home.  Turkey, lettuce, and mayo:

DSCN0481.JPG.88af1bbbc07a6fafcda65d155e3c1682.JPG

Along with the end of the cheese spiral we got at TJ’s:

DSCN0482.JPG.0a2251e91707b5f4decdeeb268d948b8.JPG

I drizzled it with honey and sprinkled on some pepper – exactly what it needed. 

• Like 8
  • Delicious 1

When @Kerry Beal was here a couple of weeks ago I fully intended to make charred broccoli reubens for us, but time and other activities got in the way. I finally got around to making one for myself today. Broccoli florets lightly steamed and then charred under the broiler; Swiss cheese; a sauce of mayo, ketchup, and horseradish (I added a bit of Dijon and next time will also add a dash of Worcestershire sauce); and sauerkraut, grilled on good rye bread on the Paragon. Eaten with some veggie chips and washed down with a glass of V8, a tasty and comforting way to start my holiday vacation.

1D0B0AAE-083A-4611-8C41-F93BF9AC9F83.thumb.jpeg.496d7520f93d933b4ca99f16d426d1c4.jpeg

There’s quite a bit more broccoli in there than it looks - it’s not all cheese, I promise!

• Like 10

Patty

No photo but a statement of indisputable fact. Pita makes a poor substitute for Wonder Bread when you want a hot beef sandwich. 

Edited by Anna N
Typo (log)
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

My 2004 eG Blog

At home yesterday

9tf7Kwn.jpg

I look forward to lovely leftovers

SA3U0rD.jpg

And earlier today

Zq4YsYD.jpg

Flight was delayed then of course I missed the bus to my final destination. With 2 hours to kill I decided to eat my first arancini and pizza (on a bench outside the airport).

g6rNwDC.jpg

gR8zytA.jpg

Hate half eaten food photos but I had no knife this time.

UIy0ZtK.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

@BonVivant  My mushrooms were destined for pasta with goat cheese - but now it wil be a duet- one pan mush and other aubergine. Also will steam some of the eggplant.  -  it brings out a different flavor than roasted or saute.It is raining so playing in the kitchen sounds like a plan.  Thanks!  Frohe Weinachten if it applies :)

Lunch from the pantry/fridge. Had a piece of baguette in the freezer, defrosted and toasted. Some nice fresh mozz, sliced, roasted red and yellow peppers from jar, fresh basil, drizzle of balsamic glaze. Would have made a nice photo but I had to push the cat away with one hand.

• Haha 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

AD2CEE37-40E9-4BC0-8D53-96558C3CDFF0.thumb.jpeg.64110e7220020219f02b1cf72a4f0924.jpeg

79F9E42C-EBAE-496E-AE24-ECE5BDD97C6F.thumb.jpeg.2b7fc2776a5f3f6d0a370099c63bbfe4.jpeg

Family gathering yesterday so solitary lunch today. Pickled herring on dark rye washed down with an ice cold glass of Aalborg Akvavit. Perhaps it was more than “a” glass. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

My 2004 eG Blog

@Anna N 

Good for You !

of course , this reminds me of 

Some Time Ago ,

in the best wsy

in Toronto 

on Bloor St.

there was a Danish Import Center or sorts

that on the Main Drag  ( bloor )

had a modest Open Faced Danish Sandwich Shop