• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2019

liuzhou

Still struggling through the sinus infection that travelled down into bronchitis … 

no sense of smell, almost no sense of taste, no desire to cook

So …. yesterday did some weekly shopping (mainly nyjer for the feeder, a small amount of American cheese for Smudge's Sunday treat, toilet paper) then I said F* it and bought a Mama bear size Marie Callendar's beef pot pie and chicken pot pie.  Baked the beef one off and ate the filling and top crust yesterday.  The bottom crust wasn't as cooked as I prefer my pastry so saved it.  Just baked it again.  Waiting for it to cool a tetch then I made some beef gravy and added frozen peas and some carrots I had leftover.  I'm going to crumble the pastry over the vegetable gravy and eat.

• Like 5

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Did a little re-organizing of my refrigerator this morning and discovered I had far too many jars of pickles most of them with only a couple of pickles in the bottom. Thought it would be a good idea to try and eat some of these up and gain some real estate. Hiding behind the jars of pickles were three of these cans that I had forgotten about.

D9CE98B5-3307-4CFB-93BB-15FA58754D0E.thumb.jpeg.4ce9c48758507bfab2f9d4a16b3a0fe5.jpeg

@Kerry BealBrought these back from France a while back And fortunately they have a best before date somewhere in 2022!

8EB94A87-ED67-437F-ACE6-03711BE85C6C.thumb.jpeg.eb2fb1b35ace84f83c92e68b58442121.jpeg

Lunch. 

• Like 11
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Lunch today was a slice of mince pie (from the bakery) with a big squirt of whipped cream (from the can).

Absolutely delicious.  It wouldn’t be the holiday season for me without mince pie!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

@suzilightning– so sorry you are feeling bad.  The bottom crust trick is a good one – I never thought of it.  Hope you are feeling better soon.

@Anna N – lovely lunch.  I wish I could find such gorgeous terrines around here. 

@lindag – sounds delicious!  I noticed mince tarts at Wegman’s last week and put them on my Christmas Eve shopping list.

Lunch today was just leftovers from last night’s take out.  I seem to be developing some kind of crud – coughing and my tongue feels weird – so Mr. Kim went and picked up Chinese.  Shrimp fried rice and hot & sour soup:

DSCN0408.JPG.0a0ac9ea87ec8f3fd2db0ce5a05c4a61.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, robirdstx said:

C832CBEE-F274-49B6-988F-94A52C4D392B.thumb.jpeg.6db1c938ebe51d53b83538fb28d56d0e.jpeg

Freddy’s Original Double Combo Meal (no cheese, hold the pickles)

No cheese, heavy on the pickles for me, please?

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Wow those fries look good. We had a food truck at the garden for a while and someone gifted a batch- the guy showered wonderful minced basil over them. It was delightful! 

• Like 1

@Katie Meadow    It's good hot, like today, or cold in the summer.    Today's version was indeed minimalist.    Two cooked beets chucked into the blender, one Knorr's beef gel, a large splat of sour cream, boiling water, whir and done.      Then simple whipped cream and bottled horseradish.    5 minute lunch!

• Like 1

eGullet member #80.

30894054-5B57-482B-9D88-567B4B7632F9.thumb.jpeg.1e7364b626a469261690f0ae627daf79.jpeg

Orzo salad with bacon and spinach. There was a recipe. I went my own way. 

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I could LIVE on rice noodles.    And sometimes it seems like we DO.   

I have access to fresh ones within a half dozen blocks, but also found packaged pre-cooked ones at Grocery Outlet.   .99 = two packets, each a meal for two.    Toss in boiling water, drain and add to stir fry -> yum!

• Thanks 1

eGullet member #80.

Just follow the instructions on the dry noodle package, then fry up some green onions, yellow onion, green/red peppers if you like them, a couple of shrimp or cubes of chicken breast, splash of soy, toss in cooked or soaked noodles and enjoy.    Of course, you can get authentic and exotic, but trust me the above will warm your soul.   

eGullet member #80.

@rotuts  oddly we rarely see fresh green peppercorns here. I had them in Australia and they were magical in a Thai dish we got for a party. Fun when you have them in the same dish as the pea sized eggplants - a mind play.