• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch 2019

liuzhou

The last of the New Year's Day chicken

鸡肉蘑菇粥 (jī ròu mó gū zhōu)

Chicken and mushroom congee (rice porridge).

Chicken,mushrooms, shallots, garlic, chilli flakes in a broth made from the chicken bones.

Again, not very visually appealing but just the thing on a freezing January day.

zhou1.thumb.jpg.f44bb0121a7a39586935f0b956291f51.jpg

zhou.thumb.jpg.181071a293381730258dc28dccd0ade1.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 12

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

@liuzhou, I love congee, but never think to make it.   Yours looks so good. Comfort food. 

Moe wanted something on NY Day  to hold him over until dinner.   

2008650775_BaguettewithProsciuttoandolivesJanuary1st20191.thumb.jpg.0c3b421a98d1f8331a33a5a4311eabd6.jpg

Fresh baked bread just out of the oven so I made him a little snack of buttered baguette

olives and Prosciutto.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

FBE3EEB5-605F-4B68-9AEE-051A16D43FCF.thumb.jpeg.9be800202aae27751954eb534b87d8cb.jpeg

Pork and potato stirfry. This is a different way to enjoy potatoes. They retain some crunch unlike most other preparations. 

Here

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

There are many grilled meat shops in Fez but each has its own spice mixes, atmosphere and personality.

lVpsL9p.jpg

Sometimes I just eat snacks for lunch.

YyrUBWk.jpg

Spices in the broth.

gNoqXXz.jpg

One little bowl is gone in a minute. Three is just right. Broth alongside.

DbmiJnL.jpg

Snail man.

C9esY3Z.jpg

J42QVq1.jpg

• Like 12

Wild mushroom risotto, also some campingion for a firmer texture and lots of thyme. 

IMG_20181221_143057.thumb.jpg.7d82d2404fcacfa2ac55d23132948bbe.jpg

Weeping bolete picked in a nearby pine grove. The other mushroom I picked in my backyard, in Hebrew they are called "נרתיקנית נאה דביקה".

IMG_20181221_123910.thumb.jpg.1a0846878b12bb7fef52d8055fe8e57e.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

~ Shai N.

9DF226C7-050C-48DF-9D5D-4BD5AE05715E.thumb.jpeg.8e8bf75fe611c742c6fbea1f86e17733.jpeg

Pan-fried ginger pork belly with cabbage.

• Like 12

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

4 hours ago, TicTac said:

Looks great, @shain.

Where/how did you learn about mushroom foraging?  I am only getting into the hobby and am very cautious about what I pick (only know about 1 easily identifiable one locally).

I've been shown a few variaties by a neighbor. They are quite easily identifiable and quite common. I guess that in some regions there are easily confusable mushrooms, but most seem to have some distinct features. 

The bolete is growing along pines, and rather than gills has a distinct yellow mesh. The other is notably sticky on top, with soft gills that look like brown paper and a tall stalk that rasembles a chicken bone. Another edible mushroom around here is notable by being small and purplish. 

• Like 1

~ Shai N.

6 hours ago, TicTac said:

Looks great, @shain.

Where/how did you learn about mushroom foraging?  I am only getting into the hobby and am very cautious about what I pick (only know about 1 easily identifiable one locally).

Be super cautious. I think the best way to learn about mushrooms in your area is to hook up with the closest mycological society. They have guided trips and local fairs. I have not been active for many years, but In my area (SF/Bay Area) the society hosts an annual fair, usually in December, after it has started raining (well it used to rain in December here) and there would be at least 100 tables displaying mushrooms that had been picked the day before by members, all labeled, and all questions answered. The variety was astounding. 

Get a good book. David Aurora's Mushrooms Demystified is great. He is a Northern CA person, but still very thorough. Learn how to take spore prints. It's fun, and they are beautiful. And sometimes they can determine a mushroom's identity when pictures are ambiguous. But the very best way to start is to go out with an expert. 

• Like 2

Real merguez in Morocco has spices, chillies, harissa. Not red colouring, as told by the grilled meat shop's owner. It has an intense red colouring which does not turn ghastly brown like the meh-guez sold at home. Moroccans are big meat eaters. This plate is already a lot for 2 persons but for them it's only enough for 1.

cVJhayY.jpg

Smoke everywhere.

bnlECue.jpg

Owner uses the table on which customers eat as his work surface. Space is extremely tight in the medina.

YipIq6q.jpg

• Like 10

ACE9F39A-C58C-4867-992C-A755BBE23838.thumb.jpeg.9346080aacc34c4fe5b9829e41d1de9c.jpeg

E0C62144-C56C-4915-8FC7-597EB6FE2116.thumb.jpeg.88d2877f08809675ab51e396c95b21ea.jpeg

E2E7B3F6-CF87-4B26-A410-38890ACF141F.thumb.jpeg.1bfe98ffffb839690a13bcdb202461eb.jpeg

Mushroom donabe. 

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

two mini burgers (venison and bison) on party pumpernickel.  bacon, swiss, ketchup and sweet relish.  Couldn't taste a thing  😞

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

C3DF47BA-49A8-4FF1-B69B-7A9F0A345AA0.thumb.jpeg.96e075cc65438a307eea3379c1f9c711.jpeg

I spent the morning researching Ochazuke.  From Shizuo Tsuji’s  Simple Art all the way to fusionistas on the web.  I concluded that it would be almost impossible to break any rules. 

Avocado, (I still try to like them), who knew they had staying power? This one has been in my refrigerator since December 21. I expected to find mush.  Next to the avocado some shrimp, then some pickled tomatoes and finally some shredded, seasoned nori.  All are arranged over rice. I like tea even less than I like avocado so my broth of choice was dashi.  On the side is a spicy condiment made of soy sauce, wasabi paste and mirin. 

To satisfy my didactic inclinations here is more information for those who are inquisitive — click

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

22 minutes ago, heidih said:

Did friend elaborate on mung bean cakes? 

He just said that in addition to mung beans, the pancakes also had kimchi and pickles (both homemade). It's a Korean dish, so the recipe is probably similar to this one, although as a vegan he'd omit the pork and use something other than egg as the binder.

Today, a home made version of 兰州牛肉拉面 (lán zhōu niú ròu lā miàn). Not 100% as you would find in Lanzhou in Northern China, but close.

lamian2.thumb.jpg.99bcbc222ba65e97b46a302fd4d7ae0d.jpg

Fresh hand-pulled noodles (拉面) in a broth with beef, garlic, ginger, chilli and greenery - in this case non-traditional endive. It's what I wanted to use up.

lamian1.thumb.jpg.7fbc58a593aaef4c6d7bbecd07a64d6d.jpg

As with ramen (which was derived from the Chinese dish, but  then took its own path), this needs a good broth.

No, I didn't pull the noodles myself. They were bought from a lovely Muslim couple from Lanzhou in the market

• Like 11

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

1 hour ago, liuzhou said:

Today, a home made version of 兰州牛肉拉面 (lán zhōu niú ròu lā miàn). Not 100% as you would find in Lanzhou in Northern China, but close.

lamian2.thumb.jpg.99bcbc222ba65e97b46a302fd4d7ae0d.jpg

Fresh hand-pulled noodles (拉面) in a broth with beef, garlic, ginger, chilli and greenery - in this case non-traditional endive. It's what I wanted to use up.

lamian1.thumb.jpg.7fbc58a593aaef4c6d7bbecd07a64d6d.jpg

As with ramen (which was derived from the Chinese dish, but  then took its own path), this needs a good broth.

No, I didn't pull the noodles myself. They were bought from a lovely Muslim couple from Lanzhou in the market

OK as long as it's not kale.

• Haha 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou