Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2019


Recommended Posts

 I made some lasagna last night. I didn't take a picture then. My niece arrived with her children to play with my potters wheel about the time it came out of the oven.  I gave them about a third of it when the left to take home.  Charlie and I had a piece and then I mentioned that maybe the neighbors behind us might like some because there would be too much leftover for us to eat it all.  I didn't think about it again until I came into the kitchen just now for another piece. This is all that was left.

20190303_173801.jpg

20190303_174039.jpg

  • Like 16
  • Delicious 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Another Sunday Pizza night.

I decided yesterday morning to feed my starter and make a biga before leaving for work.

 

Used the biga in a batch of sourdough last night. It was a 1000g batch that I divided in half and placed in two containers and they went into the fridge. One for pizza and the other will be baked Monday or Tuesday as baguettes.

My son took the dough for the pizzas out of the fridge around 1:30 this afternoon so it would have time to warm up and rise and be ready to use by the time I got home.

1878236190_GreekPizzaMarch3rd2019sourdoughcrust1.thumb.jpg.8120d06e5e9d719dcac61c6b24481599.jpg

I baked three pizzas.

197391788_GreekPizzaMarch3rd2019sourdoughrim.thumb.jpg.0dcdc9646d08c83b2652636bd7761abc.jpg

Matt's Greek potato pizza

690449447_SausageandMushroomSourdoughcrustMarch3rd2019.thumb.jpg.0db71dcf9c7f8fb4edbd2da08b8523a5.jpg

and an Italian Sausage and Mushroom pizza

1745765696_SausageandMushroomSourdoughcrustMarch3rd20191.thumb.jpg.b5460ba35275933be2896af285c96764.jpg

were both cooked on the stone on the grill.

 

1955928958_MargheritaSourdoughcrustMarch3rd20191.thumb.jpg.91737afab8be8f2a9a8601949813b16e.jpg

And the third, a Margherita baked on a stone in an Oster French Door convection oven.

1741290436_MargheritaSourdoughcrustMarch3rd2019rim2.thumb.jpg.01a28a0beae5a46dd49dda6360148f7d.jpg

It was baked on the top shelf and finished under the broiler. This is the first time I have baked a pizza in this little oven. I was pleasantly surprised.

Margherita Sourdough crust March 3rd, 2019 rim.jpg

 

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 19
  • Delicious 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ann_T said:

Another Sunday Pizza night.

I decided yesterday morning to feed my starter and make a biga before leaving for work.

 

Used the biga in a batch of sourdough last night. It was a 1000g batch that I divided in half and placed in two containers and they went into the fridge. One for pizza and the other will be baked Monday or Tuesday as baguettes.

My son took the dough for the pizzas out of the fridge around 1:30 this afternoon so it would have time to warm up and rise and be ready to use by the time I got home.

1878236190_GreekPizzaMarch3rd2019sourdoughcrust1.thumb.jpg.8120d06e5e9d719dcac61c6b24481599.jpg

I baked three pizzas.

197391788_GreekPizzaMarch3rd2019sourdoughrim.thumb.jpg.0dcdc9646d08c83b2652636bd7761abc.jpg

Matt's Greek potato pizza

690449447_SausageandMushroomSourdoughcrustMarch3rd2019.thumb.jpg.0db71dcf9c7f8fb4edbd2da08b8523a5.jpg

and an Italian Sausage and Mushroom pizza

1745765696_SausageandMushroomSourdoughcrustMarch3rd20191.thumb.jpg.b5460ba35275933be2896af285c96764.jpg

were both cooked on the stone on the grill.

 

1955928958_MargheritaSourdoughcrustMarch3rd20191.thumb.jpg.91737afab8be8f2a9a8601949813b16e.jpg

And the third, a Margherita baked on a stone in an Oster French Door convection oven.

1741290436_MargheritaSourdoughcrustMarch3rd2019rim2.thumb.jpg.01a28a0beae5a46dd49dda6360148f7d.jpg

It was baked on the top shelf and finished under the broiler. This is the first time I have baked a pizza in this little oven. I was pleasantly surprised.

Margherita Sourdough crust March 3rd, 2019 rim.jpg

 

 

 

I never thought to let dough for pizza rise.  Does yours rise before or after shaping?

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Mapo tofu:

 

Dinner03042019.png

 

 

I have at least half a dozen recipes for mapo tofu but this one is from Phoenix Claws and Jade Trees.  One substitution was I had no Chinese leeks so I just sprinkled on cilantro.  Very good.

 

What prompted the choice of dinner was that amazon sent me some beef round by mistake.  They refunded the cost but I didn't want to waste it.  All right, actually I wanted to pitch it but I would have felt guilty.  I double ground the beef and didn't over cook it, and actually it was not half bad.

 

  • Like 14
  • Delicious 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Masala omelette which didn’t quite make the fold in half. Stuffed with red onion, spinach, coriander, mushrooms and cheddar, served with fresh tomato chutney. Easy, tasty, satisfying.

BF944B24-3617-417D-A5A8-2527C889B544.thumb.jpeg.febb990859697a0bab6812ef6b8eb26c.jpeg

 

 

  • Like 15
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

 

I never thought to let dough for pizza rise.  Does yours rise before or after shaping?

 

@JoNorvelleWalker,  Pizza dough just like bread dough needs to rise, and is even better if given a longer cold bulk fermentation. I've found that my regular baguette or in this case sourdough makes the best pizza crust, especially if given at least one day if not two or three days in the fridge.    I always let it come to room temperature and complete its rise before using for either bread or pizza crust.    I never let pizza dough rise after it is shaped.   It gets hand stretched, topped and then baked, usually on a hot stone on the grill. 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

Norm, your lasagna looks delicious--as does everything above me.

 

I bought some hot Italian sausage so I made some ravioli and sauce a few days ago

 

IMG_5950.jpg.f67a085e27dc7165a0d3cab9c201cc16.jpg

IMG_5951.jpg.bf887145beed593cacfa78477323f63b.jpg

More roast beef on a pretzel bun this time with some onion soup to dip in and some fries

 

IMG_5952.JPG.90a7b9b2d406c200312645dc3f76e5bc.JPG

IMG_5953.JPG.a693625a23f3f96e72948d990a26b337.JPG

IMG_5955.JPG.7b42079bda872b8ddba18ee5fa3fa8ce.JPG

 

Hot wings and more fries with a salad

 

IMG_5959.jpg.bc264a3ddea124fc0e3b4afa6406e48f.jpg

IMG_5958.jpg.0174e67432f6052c750f288b1de15f56.jpg

And last night I SV'd a pork loin

 

IMG_5961.jpg.38eb8f2cb42a7bdd5ca80f1fccbcac3e.jpg

IMG_5962.JPG.e3a6b9894e377982d27ba98316f3b179.JPG

  • Like 19
  • Delicious 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sunday dinner: Substituted Zeroodles fettuccine  with oat fibres for oyster sauce HoFun (rice noodles). They worked very well. Had asparagus, red onions and a few baby gai lan in the crisper, so that was stir-fried and tossed onto the noodles. Topped with sliced sous vide chicken breast.

                                                                         444982094_ZeroodlesHoFun8529.jpg.f3344aef492063025a675976db4d2a4c.jpg

 

Tonight, I used up the last lb of pickerel from the freezer. I was surprised there was a bit of fishiness, but the recipe I used helped alleviate that, along with liberal shakes from the white pepper shaker.

The fish was cut into bite-size pieces and dredged with a bit of cornstarch. Thin threads of fresh ginger was fried in oil, then the fish was shallow-fried in the ginger-infused oil. Sauce was sweet soy, sesame oil, water, and white pepper.

 

                                                                       59949500_GingerSoyFish8535.jpg.f511239000d090c444db7e1bfd541b62.jpg

 

Our side was steamed green beans stir-fried in FuYu. All eaten with Jasmine rice.

 

                                                                      1710181687_FuYuGreenbeans8533.jpg.490aa67e978ba4f2790a1d59e4a0cf5b.jpg

  • Like 14
  • Delicious 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Link to post
Share on other sites

Spaghetti with Morels and Porcini.

 

In order to avoid the eternal shame of seeming to have turned vegetarian, I fried the mushrooms in bacon fat. Oh yes!

 

Tasted infinitely better than it looks.

 

mushspag2.thumb.jpg.3228c196309a44e2908bba8f3fc30f6f.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 14
  • Delicious 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

 

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Link to post
Share on other sites

You know how an old cookbook automatically opens to a certain page, right ? This is from that page, succulent chicken breasts with a burnt butter, lemon, wine reduction. Served with mash potatoes and garlic green beans.

16440825-819C-43F4-85AD-248CE456CDE0.thumb.jpeg.c4c074f5219a2bab2ea9d1fe2ea9ab7d.jpeg

 

I was in two minds whether to post this in the freezer challenge thread. The chicken had been in there since September 2016, was still surprisingly good.  The last piece of meat has left the building.

 

  • Like 13
  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, sartoric said:

You know how an old cookbook automatically opens to a certain page, right ? This is from that page, succulent chicken breasts with a burnt butter, lemon, wine reduction. Served with mash potatoes and garlic green beans.

 

I was in two minds whether to post this in the freezer challenge thread. The chicken had been in there since September 2016, was still surprisingly good.  The last piece of meat has left the building.

 

 

Sounds like an "I need tasty comfort food tonit meal. :)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...