• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacking while eGulleting... (Part 3)

Toliver

Found this recipe in a Caribbean Food cookbook, now it's a house go-to.

Grated plantain with corn meal, jalapeno, scallion and beer. CAUTION: Very addicting. Good hot or cold. Serve with creme fraiche for dipping.

404594646_IMG_20220807_1524065872.thumb.jpg.31d78eed18484e75fd4db6b96f75c4f3.jpg

• Like 6
  • Delicious 1

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

20 hours ago, TdeV said:

@johnnyd, looks scrumptious! Got a recipe?

Sure do:

PLANTAIN, CORN & CHILLI CAKES - The Book of Caribbean Cooking - £8.99

8oz peeled, ripe plantain, grated

1/2 cup cornmeal

1 egg, beaten

1/4 cup Caribbean beer

1 tsp lime juice

about a cup of diced scallion

1 jalapeno, finely diced

2 Tbsp chopped cilantro

salt

• Put all of the above in a bowl and mix thoroughly. Leave for 15 minutes
  • Heat 1/4 inch oil in a skillet. Add mixture in spoonfuls without crowding and fry a couple minutes a side, until golden brown.
  • Drain on paper bag/towell. Serve with creme fraiche.

BONUS POINTS:

• If you wait too long, the plantain doesn't grate, it just mooshes, but those are sweeter.
  • Mine are barely 2 inches across
  • They are easy to burn so keep the heat reasonable
  • If you can find it, we put a pinch of black lava salt in the creme fraiche. Kind of melts...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

When my daughter was little there was a great place in Berkeley called Le Cafe Crayon (pronounced the French way for extra credit, please.) They had a room full of wooden trains and toys for your kids. Moms or dads could order a latte or cap or macchiato and you could buy, for pennies, a bowl of goldfish for your kid. A brilliant idea! Play dates for everyone.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/23/2022 at 3:28 PM, Kim Shook said:

Spotted these in the store this weekend:

Didn't even know they were still made.  Still taste just as good.  

Famously one of Julia Child's favorite appetizers to put out for her guests.

• Like 1

Is this a snack or a starter with a long break until the main course arrived? Could be either.

1817454448_SturgeonandSardfines.thumb.jpg.e5ddcfc9bd7c9241638b2a0dd8f691da.jpg

Hot smoked sturgeon (served cold) with canned Portuguese sardines and pickled lime. Served with bread and butter.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

22 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I bought me some smoked duck breasts.

I frequently buy smoked duck breast although I don’t think mine are quite as substantial or as well smoked as yours. But still one of my favourite proteins. I do not usually freeze mine because they have a fairly long shelf life in the refrigerator. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

18 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I do not usually freeze mine because they have a fairly long shelf life in the refrigerator. 

I did consider that. But it is about 38℃ here and the fridges are full! I'm sleeping in one of them!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 3 weeks later...

Tortilla chips and a bean dip.   Chips are Kirkland brand.   Bean dip is Isadora Mayocoba refried beans in a pouch with some salsa stirred in.  I've never seen or tried Mayocoba (peruano) beans before.   The refrito is lighter in color and very light creamy smooth texture.   A little bland right out of the pouch.   Made in Mexico.   I saw them on sale and grabbed some to try.  I think $1.89 for a 15oz pouch.

Screen Shot 2022-09-23 at 3.58.20 PM.png

• Like 1