• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hospital Food

liuzhou

4 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I don't add sugar because I never add sugar.

For a long time I also struggled with that. But now I feel that reduced soy/shaoxing really benefits from it. YMMV …

1 minute ago, liuzhou said:

I most certainly don't use c@rnstarch!! Sichuan might use potato starch. I don't think this dish needs it

Let‘s say starch - I don’t mind which plant it got isolated from. For me, là zi jī pieces need a bit of „crust“ and adding starch is a easy way to ensure that …

44 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Let‘s say starch - I don’t mind which plant it got isolated from. For me, là zi jī pieces need a bit of „crust“ and adding starch is a easy way to ensure that …

I find the deep frying adds crust enough.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

"No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot"
Mark Twain

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

中饭 - Lunch (Monday)

茄椒闷鱼块 (qié jiāo mēn yú kuài) - Tomato and Chilli Braised Fish (no idea what kind of fish, almost certainly freshwater, but not bad, at all.

节瓜肉 (jiē guā ròu) - Waxed Gourd with Pork - I actually ordered this by mistake. Had it yesterday!

青菜 (qīng cài) - Statutory Unidentified Greenery

lunch.thumb.jpg.a36c68f257c4066d40f1ffef3692bc9d.jpg

Some good news (probably). If the results of a test tomorrow are satisfactory (as expected), I'll be going home on Wednesday!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 13

Mark Twain

4 hours ago, liuzhou said:

中饭 - Lunch (Monday)

茄椒闷鱼块 (qié jiāo mēn yú kuài) - Tomato and Chilli Braised Fish (no idea whatkind of fish, almost certainly freshwater, but not bad, at all.

节瓜肉 (jiē guā ròu) - Waxed Gourd with Pork - I actually ordered this by mistake. had it yesterday!

青菜 (qīng cài) - Statutory Unidentified Greenery

lunch.thumb.jpg.a36c68f257c4066d40f1ffef3692bc9d.jpg

Some good news (probably). If the results of a test tomorrow are satisfactory (as expected), I'll be going home on Wednesday!

Oh I'm so glad!!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The Last Supper (hopefully).

I passed my tests and will be going home at 9 am tomorrow morning.

香菇炒鸡 (xiāng gū chǎo jī) - Stir-fried chicken and shiitake.

Served with rice and stir-fried Chinese cabbage.

1008403935_lastsupper.thumb.jpg.25f55c9b923050a912d1b84de1f49bb2.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 11

Mark Twain

• 2 months later...
18 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Best breakfast I’ve ever seen you post …maybe the only one - nice job!

And the under note is "hospital". Yes!  Pretty generous hispital breakfast. Are they trying to fatten you up?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Best breakfast I’ve ever seen you post …maybe the only one - nice job!

Sorry, but that was my dinner.

No picture last night as I dined in the emergency room hallway on a gurney.  The menu was whipped potatoes, roast turkey and gravy.  Morphine apéritif.  The meal would have been more memorable had they remembered to include the roast turkey and gravy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 8

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

6 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

I’m just waiting to hear if there will be mai tais and peanuts coming up soon and whether the hospital is set up for dinner service at @JoNorvelleWalker's customary very late night/early AM dining hour. 

Food may be ordered from 6:30 am to 6:30 pm, and delivered within 45 minutes.  (Note to self, if you want salt and pepper you have to ask for it.)

• Like 7

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

15 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

salt and pepper

Always a permanent inclusion in my hospital backpack. 

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Bom appetit.

(I recently read that this was a lower class phrase because food was so poor and lacking in flavor that one needed a good appetit to "enjoy" it )   

To cheer you and put your food in perspective, I am entertaining an excruciating sciatic attack.   Husband doesn't cook but is a master with leftovers and the microwave.    In my current state, I really don't care of quibble.

Most important, heal and of good cheer!   And thank you much for your excellent "good sense'.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

eGullet member #80.

54 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I was not allowed to eat or drink for 18 hours. The chocolate milkshake is so good I wish I had ordered three.

I know how you feel.  Many years ago I was in the hospital for 8 days with nothing by mouth for the entire time.  I remember watching TV commercials (no real internet to speak of at that time and certainly no wifi!) for things I never would have normally eaten, like Burger King (not that there's anything wrong with it, but I didn't really grow up around them), thinking that everything looked just so good!!!  I said to myself that the first thing I was going to do once I got out was go to a BK and get a Whopper.  It was slightly delayed as when I was first released from there, I was on thin liquids only for the first few days, then thick liquids for the next few days... but after that I went to get that Whopper!  I opened the package once I had sat down and was instantly disappointed - "that's not how that looks on TV!" - like I should have been surprised... ha!

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

11 minutes ago, KennethT said:

8 days with nothing by mouth for the entire time.

You've got me beat. I was in the hospital with nothing by mouth for 5 days. I was so excited when they told me I could finally get something to eat. They brought me about a quarter of a cup of green jello and five hard candies. I still gag when I see green jello.

• Haha 6

21 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

You've got me beat. I was in the hospital with nothing by mouth for 5 days. I was so excited when they told me I could finally get something to eat. They brought me about a quarter of a cup of green jello and five hard candies. I still gag when I see green jello.

Green jello UGH.  Only matched by yellow jello.  Come on at least do red or orange!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4