• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Gifts

Pam R

I've never seen those paper pans before, and they're great! Thanks for the link and idea. I think quick breads are on the menu for gift giving this year.

"Anybody can make you enjoy the first bite of a dish, but only a real chef can make you enjoy the last.”

Francois Minot

Anybody have recipes for these homemade liqueurs? Especially the Irish cream, I know that will be popular. I'm considering making some for the grownups this year...how long do they take and how long do they keep?

My mother lives in NH and I live in NY, so she always appreciates little foodstuffs from Dean and Deluca or other specialty shops that she can't get locally or wouldn't think to get for herself. I have included things like white truffle oil, belly tuna, fleur de sel, etc.

Her favorite item, which I would recommend, is double-strength vanilla extract. My mother loves to bake and it was her favorite gift last year (despite more expensive purchases).

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

In-laws went to france and bought me French foie gras for my birthday, that has to be my favorite food related present. I've also been known to cook three course meals for my parents and in-laws in their home for christmas, they enjoy that a lot! :biggrin:

I love giving and receiving food gifts. I try to do baskets for my friends. Last year I made a few seasoned salts (fennel citrus, cajun, steak rub) and included recipes- well received. I've done breakfast baskets with homemade granola, excellent coffee, "fancy " coffee stirrers, jam, and homemade rolls. One year I did big hunks of parmesan, balsamic vinegar, Italian olive oil, skinny bread sticks, and a cheese knife. I'm thinking about pulling together a tapas basket- fancy olives, cheese and quince paste, Spanish almonds, bottle of sherry or rioja.

Some of the better gifts I've received are incredible pistachio nuts (actually a global nut basket migh be cool or olives from around the world), a beautiful hunk of aged gouda carried back from Holland, exquisite cookies (mine taste good but I lack the skill to turn out truly beautiful ones), home made truffles, homemade grappa, a dried bean soup (you added aromatics), homemade pickles and jams. I think recipes or serving suggestions can be nice if they are innovative.

I love giving and receiving food gifts.  I try to do baskets for my friends.  Last year I made a few seasoned salts (fennel citrus, cajun, steak rub) and included recipes- well received.  I've done breakfast baskets with homemade granola, excellent coffee, "fancy " coffee stirrers, jam, and homemade rolls.  One year I did big hunks of parmesan, balsamic vinegar, Italian olive oil, skinny bread sticks, and a cheese knife.  I'm thinking about pulling together a tapas basket- fancy olives, cheese and quince paste, Spanish almonds, bottle of sherry or rioja. 

Some of the better gifts I've received are incredible pistachio nuts (actually a global nut basket migh be cool or olives from around the world), a beautiful hunk of aged gouda carried back from Holland, exquisite cookies (mine taste good but I lack the skill to turn out truly beautiful ones), home made truffles,  homemade grappa, a dried bean soup (you added aromatics), homemade pickles and jams.  I think recipes or serving suggestions can be nice if they are innovative.

I can't think of anything I would rather get as a present than some of the things you mentioned, or also gift certificates to a nice restaurant, because I usually can't afford the really nice places, so it gives me an excuse

Giving:

I always make toffee for the holidays. (there are certain friends who give me the sad face if it doesn't happen, and I'm an easy mark...)

I also make cookies of various types, I have a small collection of cookie stamps and cutters so I try to personalize the cookies to the recipients, which also makes it more interesting for me than just cutting out 200 gingerbread men...

In the past we've often made "happy berries" (berries or cherries that have been soaking in vodka or brandy & sugar for a few months) this year we're experimenting with soaking candied ginger in Brandy. if this works out it will be a very popular gift. Too bad I can't legally mail it to my Uncle in California, he's a total ginger junkie!

Receiving:

One of my friends makes really excellent pralines, I'm pretty sure they're going to send me into a diabetic coma one of these years, but I'll die happy! Another makes home made caramels we refer to affectionately as "crack" - I can stop anytime I want to - just gimme one NOW!

It's funny I know several of my friends have trouble figuring out what to get me because I "already have everything" (so not true) and never realize that there's always room for another good pair of tongs, or a trivet, or a nice stack of ramequins (I'm supposed to be on ramequin probation, but if it's not me that buys them it's not a violation, right???) or a nice piece of maiollica if you want to splurge :wink:

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

Anybody have recipes for these homemade liqueurs? Especially the Irish cream, I know that will be popular. I'm considering making some for the grownups this year...how long do they take and how long do they keep?

There are a couple of flavored liqueur recipes

here

I don't use alcohol myself, however I have it on good authority that these are all very tasty.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Great thread and great suggestions.

Can someone share some practical points to making food gifts. Specifically:

1. preparation (when/how far in advance, number of batches, etc.)

2. storage

3. containers for giving (kind, cost, where to buy, etc.)

I am thinking of doing either a bark of some kind, cookies, little cakes (in the paper from sur la table), or spiced nuts. Any thoughts or tips would be appreciated.

For packaging, I use the assorted paper and wooden (lined with paper) loaf pans available at Sur La Table. These can then be wrapped in clear cello wrap and tied with a decorative ribbon. Also fun are the chinese carry-out containers available at the Container Store.

Can someone share some practical points to making food gifts.  Specifically:

3. containers for giving (kind, cost, where to buy, etc.)

Here is a thread I started on candy and cookie packaging... some good ideas and sources!

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showto...ookie+packaging

Edited by Katie Nell (log)

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

I think you should put together a basket (using a soup pot as the basket) that includes your cookbook and some of the non-persishable ingredients used in some of the soups.  You could have a "chicken noodle soup" basket, a "chocolate soup" basket, etc.  I like baskets that include cooking equipment, so if you did cookies mixes, for example, including cookie cutters or a cookie sheet, or using a nice bowl as the basket, is a nice idea, too.  For the higher price point baskets, that is...
I really like these ideas. Need to start sourcing...
And for people like me, I'd love to get a Kosher starter kit.  :smile: 

You'd be suprised at how many items you already use that are kosher. Every product that comes into my store is kosher, so any gift I put together would be kosher. I'm wondering if you mean more of a 'Jewish' starter kit than a kosher one...

Can someone share some practical points to making food gifts.  Specifically:

1.  preparation (when/how far in advance, number of batches, etc.)

2.  storage

3.  containers for giving (kind, cost, where to buy, etc.)

I am thinking of doing either a bark of some kind, cookies, little cakes (in the paper from sur la table), or spiced nuts.  Any thoughts or tips would be appreciated.

1&2. most items can be done in advance. cakes and cookies freeze well. chocolates and nuts should keep well in an air-tight container.

3. The thread Katie Nell links to is great. I like those old-fashioned cookie tins, which I can often find in the dollar store. Small tins for chocolates and such, large tins for cookies.

The paper pans are great - you bake right in the giftwrapping.

If you have a packaging company in your area (specializing in items for retail stores) they usually have showrooms where you can buy individual items - like funky cardboard containers - or small packages of cellophane bags and wrapping. - unlike the restaurant supply stores which usually make you buy by the case.

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I would bump this up and add that my recipe for candied citrus peel made in the microwave (much quicker than any other way) is in Recipe gullet.

Microwafe candied citrus peel, small batch.

A very nice way to add a fillip to this is to dip half of each strip into bittersweet or semi-sweet melted chocolate.

place on a sheet of baking parchment to cool. You could dip the entire piece but the folks I make them for prefer them half and half.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I always make an assortment of cookies and bring them to work, give them to the mail carrier, etc.

For closer friends, I do a few cookies but supplement with rum cakes, Guinness Stout Cakes (from Gramercy Tavern, clickety, yum!), toffee, caramel corn, and sometimes beef or venison jerky. I like jerky because it is easy to make and easy to ship, being very lightweight.

Unfortunately, this year's jerky is very bland. I have a TNT recipe that never failed me before. I may try again but it was so disappointing. Luckily it was venison that my nephew gave me so I'm not out much $$.

Edited for bad speeling.

Edited by Darcie B (log)

Boozy fudge, and it's absolutly fool proof! Combine a can of condensed milk (NOT evaporated!) and a little less than 18 oz. of chocolate morsels (flavored ones made by Hershey are good) in the top of a double boiler, melt together over low heat, stirring every so often. After all is smooth and well combined, remove from heat and add either orange peel cut small (but not too fine, you want a little texture here) and about a shot of Gran Marnier (sp?), a pinch of salt (I use Kosher), and a teaspoon of vanilla. Pour into a foil pan (lined with a strip of foil for a handle if you like) chill until firm and there you go. I've also done coffee flavor with Kaluha and instant coffee (fresh ground expresso would be good, too) and raspberry with Hershey's raspberry flavored chips, chambord and a dollop of raspberry jam (seedless, please). :wub: This can be made "virgin" as well, for the kids, or those who don't do liquor. :rolleyes:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Boozy fudge, and it's absolutly fool proof! Combine a can of condensed milk (NOT evaporated!) and a little less than 18 oz. of chocolate morsels (flavored ones made by Hershey are good) in the top of a double boiler, melt together over low heat, stirring every so often.  After all is smooth and well combined, remove from heat and add either orange peel cut small (but not too fine, you want a little texture here) and about a shot of Gran Marnier (sp?), a pinch of salt (I use Kosher), and a teaspoon of vanilla. Pour into a foil pan (lined with a strip of foil for a handle if you like) chill until firm and there you go. I've also done coffee flavor with Kaluha and instant coffee (fresh ground expresso would be good, too) and raspberry with Hershey's raspberry flavored chips, chambord and a dollop of raspberry jam (seedless, please). :wub:  This can be made "virgin" as well, for the kids, or those who don't do liquor. :rolleyes:

Thank you! It sounds good, and easy enough for even me to do.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

• 3 weeks later...

Ba-da-bump.

Somebody just walked into my store and asked me if I had any gift-baskets. "Of course not" I said! :sad: I haven't had a chance to get anything like that done yet - but I will in the future!

I just thought that since there are only a few days before Christmas and Chanukkah, some people may have missed this thread and could use some ideas. Mind you, some of them may take longer to make than you have time for - but there are lots of other ones that won't!

Happy holidays!

Edited by Pam R (log)

Somebody just walked into my store and asked me if I had any gift-baskets.  "Of course not" I said!  :sad:  I haven't had a chance to get anything like that done yet - but I will in the future!

If I were walking into your store, Pam, one gift idea I would either love to have or love to give would be a gift certificate for "A Soup a Week" for (however many weeks).

What a treat! One of those gifts that "keeps on giving".

(Wait! There's still time! Got a computer and a printer? Instant gift certificates. . . :smile: )

Karen

If I were walking into your store, Pam, one gift idea I would either love to have or love to give would be a gift certificate for "A Soup a Week" for (however many weeks).

What a treat! One of those gifts that "keeps on giving".

(Wait! There's still time! Got a computer and a printer? Instant gift certificates. . . :smile: )

Karen

I don't have time to put together baskets, but you want me to make somebody soup every week??? :wink:

I do though, have a HUGE stack of my cookbook in several locations throughout the store - and soups are available all the time. I think though, that she was looking for more of a .... umm.. 'gourmet'? type of thing?

When the boys were young and pliable, we used to make Christmas Cookies every year to give as gifts (and for me to take to cookie parties). We made dozens of candy-cane cutout sugar cookies, coated them in Royal icing, and the boys decorated them with M&Ms, colored and sanding sugar, sprinkles, chips, jimmies, crushed hard candy -- pretty much whatever would stick to them. We'd make little paper cones of white chocolate with food coloring in it, and they'd do the Jackson Pollack thing.

They were adorable, and everyone looked forward to getting them. Snif. It remains one of my favorite memories. :wub:

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

In the giving department, I don't know whether this qualifies, but one time I donated a chicken gumbo dinner for four, prepared by me at the winner's house, and an evening at the movies as a prize in a silent auction fundraiser. (This was in the early 1980s. I think the winning bid was somewhere around $50.)

I love to receive cheese and sausage baskets--but better still would be Gethsemani Trappist cheese.

If I knew the recipient would use it, I'd probably give an interesting cookbook or a bottle of home-brewed "Gates' Barbecue Sauce".

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

• 2 months later...

This thread has been resting since the holidays have wound down, but going over it, I started thinking of food-related gifts I've given. First, wine, my own garagiste (apartmentiste?) wine. Which variety of wine I give depends on the recipient; some folks know to appreciate mead, some think only grapes make wine, some will happily quaff the fruit wines. And as I make wine, it follows that I (inadvertently) have made vinegar. Bottles of these vinegars, especially from prickly pear wine, go over well. Last summer I made 10 gallons of hard lemonade, couldn't keep it at home once it was ready. Home-made limoncello and vizniak also have permanent customers. Looks like the home brews and liqueurs are the backbone of my gift supply. The drink always look presentable, for I create pretty labels on my handy PC and glue them onto recycled and sparkling clean wine bottles.

Herb butters, home-made cream cheeses flavored with garlic and herbs. People like those too, but some have complained of the high fat content in them, so I don't give those away anymore.

My friends and family in the States like dried Persian lemons and Middle Eastern spices such as za'atar, Yemenite hawaj for soup, and Bucharian baharat for meat balls and stew. I went through a long phase of making spice mixtures myself, and the truth is, home-made is always better than the grocery-store varieties... but I have become lazy. I go to the shouk and pick out the little packages at my favorite hole-in-the-wall spice store.

The single most appreciated food I've ever given away or received were pots of chicken soup. They were given to people in poor health and in need of support - ladies after birth, people too sick to eat anything else; given to me in the same situations. Those pots of soup were not holiday gifts, but said "I care" loud and clear, and that is in style any time.

Miriam

Miriam Kresh

blog:[blog=www.israelikitchen.com][/blog]

• 2 weeks later...

A good friend's 21st birthday is coming up, and after much deliberation I've finally decided what gift to get him. He loves great wine and great food, although he isn't a snob about it (at 21 it's too expensive to be a snob). I've narrowed it down to some cool ingredients (e.g. truffle oil), something that's great without necessarily going into a recipe (e.g. fantastic local cheese), some useful kitchen tool, or really anything related.

The problem is that apart from those examples I gave, I'm stumped for variety. The plan is to buy something he wouldn't typically buy for himself that can either be eaten by itself (or with minimal other ingredients, such as the cheese) or incorporated into other recipes without requiring the culinary acumen of a master chef. He'll eat anything -- obscure isn't a problem, as long as it's tasty!

Or to phrase it another way, what food should every self-respecting food lover enjoy at least once in their life?

Dr. Zoidberg: Goose liver? Fish eggs? Where's the goose? Where's the fish?

Elzar: Hey, that's what rich people eat. The garbage parts of the food.

My blog: The second pancake