• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Instant Pot. Multi-function cooker (Part 5)

Okanagancook

@weedy

well , nice analysis

these days

I take a cube or two of the Dorot  ,

and add some TJ's

Kalamata olive oil in a pyrex dish

I micro it , paying careful attention

I.e. My Glass Is Full

ant let it sizzle for a ' bit '

then add that to what ever Im cooking 

same for the Dorot basil

frequently  , in the say small pyrex bowl

Has anyone done a fennel bulb in the IP? I'm not experienced in cooking fennel -- I've only ever roasted it, or used it raw in a salad. Wonder how it would be cooked whole in the bulb, in the IP?

Fennel is another one of those vegetables I'm just discovering, because we never grew it and thus never ate it when I was a kid. I'm planting some this year.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

7 hours ago, kayb said:

Fennel is another one of those vegetables I'm just discovering, because we never grew it and thus never ate it when I was a kid. I'm planting some this year.

Vegetables hadn't been invented when I grew up in the 40's and 50's.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Whole artichokes; on the rack with water; steam on high for 9 minutes then natural release.  Perfect!  So easy.  They have been cleaned up and diced for inclusion in the pasta dish to go with some chicken and salad tonight.

• Like 2

On 4/18/2018 at 4:20 PM, kayb said:

Has anyone done a fennel bulb in the IP? I'm not experienced in cooking fennel -- I've only ever roasted it, or used it raw in a salad. Wonder how it would be cooked whole in the bulb, in the IP?

I've braised it in a pressure cooker, but not whole. If it's sliced thin, it sort of melts into the sauce; if it's cut into wedges, it cooks at about the same rate as cabbage or big chunks of celery.

• Like 2

AFC6FF65-7E32-460D-94A3-14C8D3F197E0.thumb.jpeg.c3dbdbd74a03a0e4bdaa1575778ebb55.jpeg

For a dish that really has only two main ingredients this packs a powerful flavour punch.   Pork chops and cabbage .   I had only one pork chop but it was very large and only part of a cabbage so I was able to do it in my mini.  There is plenty left over for another meal.  

• Like 4
  • Delicious 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

thank you

@Anna N

I will keep this iPot dish in mind :

from time to time 

there are very nice CountryRibs in my area

and I pick the R;s w as much dark meat as I can see

some fat

those  w red cabbage Im sure will be an

easy revelation to me.

Ill not use the fennel

but Ill use 3/4 cup of

Father's   iP'd  Shank Broth instead

Yikes !

• Like 1

I need to make a quick survey, please, on behalf on my best friend who just bought an IP Duo 6 quart and is trying to make rice in it that will match her erstwhile rice cooker.

1. What is the correct proportion of rice:water for long-grained white rice? She doesn't use basmati or jasmine, and that's all I can find in the online manual.

2. What has been your go-to method for rice cooking in the IP? Does anyone use the "Rice" setting, or are you doing manual pressure cooking? If manual, what settings have you used?

3. Do the proportions of water, or the time settings, change for the pot-in-pot method? 

Thanks. I find myself in the same quandary that a lot of folks do: hundreds of pages to comb through, looking for specific answers to small questions....

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I just made rice yesterday. I used the pot in pot method.  I used a stainless steel bowl for the pot. I think this makes a difference as other materials might not transfer heat quite so well. I used long grain basmati rice.  Can’t imagine that it’s makes much difference if it’s orher long grain rice but I am telling you that it was basmati.  I rinsed my rice very well and therefore used only one and a quarter cups of liquid to one cup of rice. Without rinsing it I would’ve used one and a half cups of water to 1 cup of rice. Don’t forget that one cup of water also needs to go into the pot. I do not cover my rice when I use this method.  I pressure cooked it, high pressure for 3 minutes and let the pressure drop for 10 minutes before opening the lid. Sometimes you need to release a little bit of pressure after 10 minutes before the lid will open.

Hope it’s of some help.

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

My friend reports that she didn't get any hard-copy manuals with her IP. I got two: a user's manual, and a book of recipes. I bought my IP at least a year before she bought hers. Does anyone know whether the hard-copy booklets have been replaced with online PDF copies? Also: can anyone report on whether the tables for how to use the IP to cook common ingredients (grains, beans, greens, meats) have been eliminated?  I can't find them in the online PDF's, but it's hard to believe they would have been eliminated.

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

@Smithy, I browsed through a few posts over on one of the IP Facebook groups and it seems that people who posted recently (this month) about getting new Instant Pots are still getting a hard copy manual and recipe booklet. 

Not sure what happened to your friend's. 

Are the tables you are looking for something like this - Instant Pot Cooking Time, which I believe is the same information that appears on pages 45-52 of the recipe booklet.

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)

7 hours ago, Smithy said:

Does anyone know whether the hard-copy booklets have been replaced with online PDF copies?

Also: can anyone report on whether the tables for how to use the IP to cook common ingredients (grains, beans, greens, meats) have been eliminated?  I can't find them in the online PDF's, but it's hard to believe they would have been eliminated.

I just received a replacement Mini within the last couple of months and it came with hardcopy manuals.

I have never had much faith in the cooking charts put out by the Instant Pot people.  I find for the most part that the charts by our member @pazzaglia  on her website Hip Pressure Cooking to be more valuable. YMMV. 

Edited by Anna N (log)

My 2004 eG Blog

@blue_dolphin - yes, those are the charts. Thank you. It seems I was looking in the wrong place.

@Anna N, thanks for that recommendation I'll be sure to pass it on.

I'm glad IP doesn't seem to have abandoned their print manuals after all. I'll tell my friend to check around, but I suspect that the packaging is long gone from their house.

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

I have never had much faith in the cooking charts put out by the Instant Pot people.  I find for the most part that the charts by our member @pazzaglia  on her website Hip Pressure Cooking to be more valuable. YMMV. 

That has been my experience as well, although I see the current iteration of those tables has been edited, in some cases significantly, from what's in the booklet I received with my IP and the edited times are more in line with what I've been using.

19 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

That has been my experience as well, although I see the current iteration of those tables has been edited, in some cases significantly, from what's in the booklet I received with my IP and the edited times are more in line with what I've been using.

Thanks for noticing this. I’m still going back to when I first got my Instant Pot and found their tables to be quite inconsistent and unuseable.  Glad to see they are staying on top of things. 

My 2004 eG Blog

My friend reports that she found the bookLETs hiding amongs some other books. She was looking for something bigger. xD She appreciates everyone's help, especially the comments about better references than the books.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2018 at 3:48 PM, Anna N said:

I just made rice yesterday. I used the pot in pot method.  I used a stainless steel bowl for the pot. I think this makes a difference as other materials might not transfer heat quite so well. I used long grain basmati rice.  Can’t imagine that it’s makes much difference if it’s orher long grain rice but I am telling you that it was basmati.  I rinsed my rice very well and therefore used only one and a quarter cups of liquid to one cup of rice. Without rinsing it I would’ve used one and a half cups of water to 1 cup of rice. Don’t forget that one cup of water also needs to go into the pot. I do not cover my rice when I use this method.  I pressure cooked it, high pressure for 3 minutes and let the pressure drop for 10 minutes before opening the lid. Sometimes you need to release a little bit of pressure after 10 minutes before the lid will open.

Hope it’s of some help.

I do almost exactly this. But I tend to use the rice setting. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This was my first ever Jambalaya! I printed out several online recipes and modified to suit the ingredients I had on hand and my experience with my Instant Pot (6 qt. Duo). 

I sautéed 18 oz. of boneless skinless chicken thighs, that had been cut into small bite size pieces and seasoned to taste with Cajun seasoning, in a small amount of grapeseed oil, until they were no longer pink, stirring occasionally. I removed the chicken from the pot and added 6 oz. of Andouille sausage that had been cut into 1/4 inch rounds. I sautéed the sausage for a bit and then added about a cup of diced white onion, a diced stalk of celery and, because I didn’t have any fresh bell pepper, I added a couple tablespoons of diced roasted red bell peppers and several tablespoons of diced Hatch Fire Roasted Green Chiles. I let that sauté for a bit and then added several minced garlic cloves and stirred it all together. Then I added 3/4 cups of dry vermouth and deglazed the pot, stirring to get all the brown bits off the bottom of the pot. I returned the chicken to the pot. The final additions were 3/4 cup of jasmine rice (not rinsed), 1 1/2 cups chicken broth, a pinch of dried thyme, 5 oz. diced stewed tomatoes in their juice and a bay leaf. I cooked it on Manual High Pressure for 7 minutes and Natural Release for 10 minutes.

91A0E2B7-720B-47F4-927E-0FEC6A66E92A.thumb.jpeg.a22e4405115d44553bb3df408db406f7.jpeg

Served with chopped green onion and Louisiana Hot Sauce. Very happy with the result! DH declared it a keeper!

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Orbit said:

After reading all these threads, I ordered a 6 qt Instant Pot yesterday. Does anyone have cookbook recommendations for it?

I don't think you can do much better than the info on these eG threads but Instant Pot® Obsession: The Ultimate Electric Pressure Cooker Cookbook for Cooking Everything Fast by @JAZ is an excellent Instant Pot primer.  It's basic and simple - not a lot of glam photos  - but chock full of useful information.  At the moment, the Kindle version is $1.67 on Amazon.com.

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1