• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gardening: (2016– )

33 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@gfweb 

I wish you the beat of luck. luck .

Ive had experience growing up

w a fig tree and an almond tree

my father loved collecting the nuts

my mother loved the find.

times changed .  the squirrel population increased 

that as that.

here , in the winter ,

I put put a 10 lb bag of Daawat rice

dd.thumb.jpg.619559df2289772ddc77e0f6e35bd98d.jpg

out on my entry way.  20 degree nights 

have a small problem  w pantry moths 

I was lazy ang lett it out for a couple os days 

noticed a small tear , and a few grains of loose rice.

You know who

later , for two or three non-food packages , 

Amanon'd   the squirrels riped out each corner .

So , hope it works this year

starless steel , w an alarm next year ?

Electrify it!

You could MacGyver-up one of those electrocuting mouse traps

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Nice produce all.

I'm only harvesting lettuces, scapes and herbs however I'm getting flowers on my snow and sugar snap peas. I'm also going to have to extend their netting frame as they've reached the top (planned for).

• Like 3

'A drink to the livin', a toast to the dead' Gordon Lightfoot

1 hour ago, Senior Sea Kayaker said:

Nice produce all.

I'm only harvesting lettuces, scapes and herbs however I'm getting flowers on my snow and sugar snap peas. I'm also going to have to extend their netting frame as they've reached the top (planned for).

Harvested my scapes today, too. May get a pic later.

I actually took photos of my garden with the intention of posting them here before I went to NS, but ran out of time and now they're sadly out of date. I'll try to find a few dry hours to get some new photos. I can't currently hill my potatoes or create any new beds because the soil is so sodden, but at least the weeks of wet have been good for weeding. Pulling the little buggers while the soil is wet improves the likelihood of getting them up by the root. It's also been a good few days on "slug patrol." They like the wet, so I've been able to wreak death and destruction on an Old Testament scale within the local gastropod population. They savaged my broccoli beds while I was away, so I was very much in the mood for retribution.

• Like 6

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 7/2/2023 at 1:07 PM, rotuts said:

@gfweb 

nice !

do squirrels like paw paws ?

just checking.

I harvest wild pawpaws every year. I have never witnessed any with animal damage.  I suspect windfalls may get scavenged, but I think you are fine on the tree.

NPS disagrees with me, though. https://www.nps.gov/articles/pawpaw.htm#:~:text=Opossums%2C foxes%2C squirrels%2C raccoons,ground underneath a fruiting tree.  

@Shelby 

nice .

that's an onion , that's talking to you

in ' onion '

you dd understand this

as you look its pic   ..

So , sliced thin or chunky ?

pickled ?  aged ? in the room cellar ?

slowly camel=ized /

wo many opportunities

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Shelby 

nice .

that's an onion , that's talking to you

in ' onion '

you dd understand this

as you look its pic   ..

So , sliced thin or chunky ?

pickled ?  aged ? in the room cellar ?

slowly camel=ized /

wo many opportunities

Yes so many possibilities.  Definitely going to caramelize some and freeze them in my rubber ice cube trays.  That really comes in handy.  I think maybe the end of next week I might try making a blooming onion (one of those fried things you can get at a restaurant) just for fun.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Shelby said:

Yes so many possibilities.  Definitely going to caramelize some and freeze them in my rubber ice cube trays.  That really comes in handy.  I think maybe the end of next week I might try making a blooming onion (one of those fried things you can get at a restaurant) just for fun.

Well you are the Fry Queen - "Bloomin Onion" in your wheelhouse We look forward to report

• Like 3

Apparently I owe the slugs in my garden a (partial) apology. Looked out my window earlier today and found stepdaughter's mastiff grazing on my bean plants. The electric fence goes back up tomorrow (it rained too much today...again...).

• Haha 5

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

My husband says when he was a boy he loved carrots and would yank them out of the garden plot, barely swipe the dirt off, and scarf them down until his mother took him to task for it. He stopped (a miracle, that) but she kept yelling at him about the stolen carrots. Then one day she spotted their dog stealing carrots from the garden! She was gracious enough to apologize to her son for the wrongful accusation.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Garden is loving this heat.  Also my lack of watering.

Some of the tomato stalks are nearing the thickness of a child's wrist, and my 'fruity' cucumbers (labeled as such, bought at a local asian grocery store) are over 6' tall with a bunch of small-mid size cukes already.  Lots of sugar peas so far, also tons of various types of Spinach (both wild and sowed).  For those experimenting with Zucc's - I suggest trying the vertical growth/training method.  So much nicer and helps to avoid the powdery mildew (don't be scared of trimming lower leaves!).

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

There is a spot in my garden where I feel will be perfect for a fig tree. So I started to dig for the fig. About 18" down, I found this huge boulder. I estimate it weights about 500 lbs. I really like this spot so I need to fig ure  out how to get this monster out from the deep pit. 

I decided I need to split the boulder into many smaller pieces. 

Today, I managed to split it into two. It got too hot. I will try again tomorrow.

dcarch

PXL_20230714_191654989.MP[1].jpg

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, dcarch said:

There is a spot in my garden where I feel will be perfect for a fig tree. So I started to dig for the fig. About 18" down, I found this huge boulder. I estimate it weights about 500 lbs. I really like this spot so I need to fig ure  out how to get this monster out from the deep pit. 

Today, I managed to split it into two. It got too hot. I will try again tomorrow.

dcarch

Well at least you will have a big hole. What makes that spot fig appropriate? The couple in my life have not been picky. Be careful! Tell me I am not looking at explosives ;)

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, heidih said:

Well at least you will have a big hole. What makes that spot fig appropriate? The couple in my life have not been picky. Be careful! Tell me I am not looking at explosives ;)

That's a good spot visually in my garden, besides, it's not far from my electric fence system. I think squirrels like figs too. 

No explosives used. Those are Rock splitting wedges. 

dcarch

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, dcarch said:

That's a good spot visually in my garden, besides, it's not far from my electric fence system. I think squirrels like figs too. 

No explosives used. Those are Rock splitting wedges. 

dcarch

I've been watching too much Sue Thomas FBI. You will have fun also with the fig leaves. They have a coconut smell - great for wrapped streamed or grilled. And yes squirrels, raccoons, possums - and the oh so colorful fig beetle in my area https://nhm.org/stories/when-fig-beetles-attack. Good to know no explosives Still watch .your back - don't overdo. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dcarch said:

dcarch

I'd consider just planting the tree over top of the rock. Figs can have pretty aggressive roots. The larger varieties can benefit from being a bit root bound so I don't think the rock will do any harm.

• Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

3 hours ago, haresfur said:

I'd consider just planting the tree over top of the rock. Figs can have pretty aggressive roots. The larger varieties can benefit from being a bit root bound so I don't think the rock will do any harm.

When I first discovered the boulder, letting it stay option was considered. However, I have very poor muddy soil which does not drain well. I also want to plant decorative (may be edible) flowering plants under the fig tree. So I need to go really deep and re-mix the soil with lots of compost, sand and crashed charcoal from the fire pit. 

dcarch

• Like 1

7 hours ago, heidih said:

I've been watching too much Sue Thomas FBI. You will have fun also with the fig leaves. They have a coconut smell - great for wrapped streamed or grilled. And yes squirrels, raccoons, possums - and the oh so colorful fig beetle in my area https://nhm.org/stories/when-fig-beetles-attack. Good to know no explosives Still watch .your back - don't overdo. 

That's bad news! I hope they don't visit NY.

I built a large bird feeder. I am very happy that it is attracting a lot of birds. May be birds are not vegetarians.

dcarch

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FauxPas said:

My tomatoes are starting to ripen, I'm not going anywhere! 

May be a doodle of apple, tree and text

However...for those of us taking in your mail and watering your plants and watching your house and property, this is a good thing.  We get to eat your tomatoes which you are gone.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

So here's the "master non-gardener's" garden.  Once upon a time we had a huge garden...no more.  But I was determined to grow tomatoes this year for my Sunday Bacon and Tomato Sandwich and so this poor embarrassing table of dirt bags is the result.   I had to put it inside the back yard and off the ground so that any resident male dogs would not pee on it and I could manage it easily.

So pathetic as it is, the tomatoes are coming along nicely and we counted many small tomatoes on the plants this morning.   The eggplant on the left is a bust and the right side with Poblanos and other bits is still up for grabs.  

DSC03907.thumb.JPG.bed7510f2063de454b660f37d687da7a.JPG

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Done! Cracked the boulder into 5 sections, made a  tool so I could grab the heavy pieces out from the deep pit without breaking my back.

Moved the dirt back into the pit and planted the fig tree.

dcarch

PXL_20230715_142018894_MP1.thumb.jpg.b43e61c4b73ba1d25838b954e1a91a73.jpg

PXL_20230715_142620872_MP1.thumb.jpg.2b85280d128ad3016bc0e9694503624e.jpg

PXL_20230717_145311251_MP1.thumb.jpg.aad757ed3903e20773954647edace90a.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1