• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quadriga

What did you buy at the liquor store today? (2016 - )

8 hours ago, rotuts said:

@blue_dolphin 

Im more interested in Pear Brandy   ( Peary ) 

as a straight up  after dinner Brandy

in a Baccarat ' snifter '

of course.

Not pear, but I have bottles of Peach Street Distillery Peach brandy on hand, which I keep for Fish House Punch...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_House_Punch

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schuylkill_Fishing_Company

Served in Baccarat of course.  Befitting as Gilbert du Motier was a Fish House member.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilbert_du_Motier,_Marquis_de_Lafayette

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Pandemic restocking. 
New to me: Cardamaro, Byrrh, Meletti, sotol, this mezcal. 

B375D191-9136-489D-BF2B-41DDF6C9D81B.jpeg

Edited by Craig E corrected spelling (log)
  • Like 5

I haven't really bought anything for a while, but with bars being closed I figured I've probably saved enough to make it worthwhile.

The Mezcal is just for mixing, seems quite similar to Vida. The Raicilla I've tried in Hacha, London, where they pair it with either an IPA or a small amount of the spirit with CBD oil floated on top, both are fantastic. I had to get myself a bottle.

I'm hoping the foamer will be worth the outlay, it's not cheap at £25 but for occasional sours this should be more convenient and cost effective than eggs or aqua faba.

img_20200523_135810.jpg

• Like 2

I've just picked up (online) the following:

Pernod absinthe (my first, having only had pastis).

Giffard creme de banane.

Giffard creme de framboise.

Hennessy VS cognac (a cognac restock, replacing Martell).

Monin orgeat (bottom shelf I know, but the only one they had and having never used it before, I didn't want to start making my own. Not a tiki guy).

I'm on the lookout for a peach brandy in the UK, if anyone could point me in the right direction. I know it's not common in the US, never mind here. I'm assuming the recipes I want to use it for (1930s-1960s) call for an actual brandy; not a liqueur or clear eau de vie. But I'm not certain. I suspect the 60s recipes may sway more towards liqueur, as the Dutch makers seemed to have a big market share at the time. That said ABV info is often hard to come by and when I have, it tends to be higher ABV than a liqueur/creme (c.16-18%) and lower than a brandy/eau de vie. 

9 minutes ago, Tomcollins said:

I'm on the lookout for a peach brandy in the UK, if anyone could point me in the right direction. I know it's not common in the US, never mind here. I'm assuming the recipes I want to use it for (1930s-1960s) call for an actual brandy; not a liqueur or clear eau de vie.

If you've got the budget, Masters of Malt has a recent release from Koval (2 bottles left as of this posting)

https://www.masterofmalt.com/fruit-brandy/koval/koval-susan-for-president-peach-brandy/

17 minutes ago, J_Ozzy said:

If you've got the budget, Masters of Malt has a recent release from Koval (2 bottles left as of this posting)

https://www.masterofmalt.com/fruit-brandy/koval/koval-susan-for-president-peach-brandy/

It was in my basket until I realised it was  £41 for 389ml! Can't justify it sadly. I'd want a 15+ year old single malt for that. And even then, it'd be for a special occasion. Couldn't bring myself to mix with it either. 

yes, aged peach brandy (suitable for 19th century recipes) unfortunately carries a significant niche price premium.
If you're looking for a viable substitute for something like Fish House Punch, a high-quality apricot / peach liqueur will get you close, with the appropriate modifications to balance sweetness.

Edited by J_Ozzy mispelled Fish House, of course (log)
  • Like 1

One of the great perks of old age is short term memory loss. By the time a package from Amazon arrives in the mail it's usually a complete surprise. I've had a craving for Bloody Marys lately and vodka isn't something we typically stock. So my husband was planning a trip to the liquor store. Smarty pants that he is he actually checked the liquor cabinet and low and behold an unopened bottle of Tito's was stashed in the depths. We have absolutely no memory of buying it. Maybe it was a gift? Makes an excellent Bloody Mary. Next up is Gabrielle Hamilton's Mariner, which is just the addition of clam juice. I didn't used to like drinks made with Clamato, but now I'm using Knudson's tomato juice,, which is good, not too thick or salty, and Bar Harbor clam juice. Everything old is new again now, right? Especially now. File this under "what I didn't have to buy at the liquor store."

GH is a stickler for brands; I think mostly it's a nostalgia thing for her (see sardines on Triscuits.) I find it touching and recognize the urge: of course it can make life hard, but some of us, well, that's just how we are.  For her well-known Bloody Marys she insists that you use Sacramento tomato juice. You would think that would be available in northern Cal, but it isn't. 

We just got:

-Rittenhouse Rye (starting to learn why people like rye in cocktails)
-Ford's Gin (my new favorite for Negronis, which means my new favorite)

-Cocchi vermouth di Torino (my BFF)
-Campari

-Luxardo Maraschino (an impulse buy. I see it in so many cocktails. First impression: really disgusting. Maybe 1/4 ounce of it does nice things?)

Edited to add:

We also recently got a special bottling of cask-strength single-barrel Knob Creek bourbon. The owner of our favorite pizza restaurant in the neighborhood needed to pay his bills, and realized he was sitting on a goldmine of booze at the bar. So he's been selling it a bottle at a time and delivering it with chicken soup. This is wonderful stuff ... made the best Old Fashioned I've ever had. He only asked $50. I'll miss this when it's gone.

(Pizza restaurant is scheduled to open again soon ... great news, but I hope he doesn't ask for his booze back).

Edited by paulraphael (log)

Notes from the underbelly

Just now, paulraphael said:

-Luxardo Maraschino (an impulse buy. I see it in so many cocktails. First impression: really disgusting. Maybe 1/4 ounce of it does nice things?)

I've never developed a taste for it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kerry Beal said:

I've never developed a taste for it!

I'll try making a Brooklyn cocktail to see how well it plays with others. If that doesn't work out, maybe I'll see if anyone in NYC wants to do a booze swap!

Notes from the underbelly

22 minutes ago, paulraphael said:

I'll try making a Brooklyn cocktail to see how well it plays with others. If that doesn't work out, maybe I'll see if anyone in NYC wants to do a booze swap!

Maraschino liqueur is one of my least favorite things to drink straight, but one of my most favorite things to mix with. In small doses, or partnered with strong flavored ingredients, it adds sweetness in a wonderfully complex way.