• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

General Mills flour recall

Toliver

The article:

"E. coli outbreak prompts massive General Mills flour recall"

Federal and state health officials are investigating an outbreak of E. coli O121 that has caused 38 cases of illness across 20 states, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Tuesday. Ten of those individuals have been hospitalized.

The recall includes Gold Medal flour, Wondra flour and Signature Kitchens flour. All three brands were sold at Safeway, Albertsons, Jewel, Shaws, Vons, United, Randalls and Acme retailers.

There is a link at the bottom of the article that takes you to the General Mills Contact page if you have questions.

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I don't see any information about what lots of flour may have been affected.  I had planned to use some Wondra in tonight's dinner.  I think I still will. 

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

13 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I don't see any information about what lots of flour may have been affected.  I had planned to use some Wondra in tonight's dinner.  I think I still will. 

As @Toliver mentioned, there's a link in the article to the General Mills recall notice.  At the bottom of the notice, all the recalled items are listed and identified by "use by" dates.

My Wondra flour has a "best by" date of sometime in 2014 :o

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

As @Toliver mentioned, there's a link in the article to the General Mills recall notice.  At the bottom of the notice, all the recalled items are listed and identified by "use by" dates.

My Wondra flour has a "best by" date of sometime in 2014 :o

Thanks, I never saw this link.  The only link I saw took me to the GM contact page.

My Wondra is not affected!

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Sadly, not much seems 'safe' any more.

Just bought some Wondra the other day - it is now going into the garbage. Managed fine without it for years - won't buy any more.

Not sure if all these recent recalls have been because there is actually much more of an issue with our everyday ingredients (but, if so, why is that?) or because there is a better reporting/investigation system suddenly in place and actually working or prophylactically (just in case) because companies are afraid of being sued.

3 hours ago, Deryn said:

Just bought some Wondra the other day - it is now going into the garbage. Managed fine without it for years - won't buy any more.

On your canister of Wondra did you check the date first: Recalled Better if Used by Dates 25FEB2017 thru 30MAR2017 (From their website)

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

My Wondra will be going in the trash since its better if used by date is 26Feb2017.  As eating the the dough or cookie batter, I thought that everybody knew you'll get worms if you eat raw cookie batter.  Persons eager to let me know what a misconception this is, should not waste their time, there is nothing you can cite, quote, or provide links to that will make me change my mind.  I cherish and cling to any misconception that provides an excuse for not doing something I've never wanted to do or been tempted to do or thought about doing.9_9

• Like 2

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

• 1 month later...

The General Mills flour recall has expanded:

"General Mills recalls more flour used in well-known brands"

The recall announced Monday covers several varieties of Gold Medal and Signature Kitchens flour produced on certain dates through February 10.

There is a link at the bottom of the article to find out more info regarding the products listed in the recall.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Once again my tendency to procrastination has prevented me from doing something I would regret later.  In this case I hadn't gotten around to buying a new supply of Wondra.

• Like 1

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

11 hours ago, Toliver said:

The General Mills flour recall has expanded:

"General Mills recalls more flour used in well-known brands"

There is a link at the bottom of the article to find out more info regarding the products listed in the recall.

Thanks Toliver,

My local news ran an article on this and failed to include a link to expansions. I guess I can't taste my biscuit dough for salt anymore. I quit tasting cake and cookie batter when our benevolent government decided it was better for Big Ag to make more money than to keep salmonella out of our supply of chickens and eggs.

Does anyone know how in blazes e-coli bacteria, much more commonly associated with animal products can get into a vegetarian food product like flour? Part of the answer may be:  "E. coli was one of the first organisms to have its genome sequenced; the complete genome of E. coli K-12 was published by Science in 1997" quoted from this wiki link.

I was chilled when I first started reading about gene splicing, and the folks in charge thought is was a good idea to play around with a tiny species capable of killing us!?!? Life will have it's way, as evidenced by grass and weeds growing up even through concrete.

"Escape of GM wheat seed[edit]

In 1999 scientists in Thailand claimed they discovered glyphosate-resistant wheat in a grain shipment from the Pacific Northwest of the United States, even though transgenic wheat had never been approved for sale and was only ever grown in test plots. No one could explain how the transgenic wheat got into the food supply.[38]

In May 2013 a strain of genetically-engineered glyphosate-resistant wheat was found on a farm in Oregon. Extensive testing confirmed the wheat as a variety – MON71800.[39] The wheat had been developed by Monsanto but never been approved or marketed after the company had tested it between 1998 and 2005. The unexplained presence of this type of wheat presents a problem to wheat growers when buyers demand GMO-free wheat.[40]Japan subsequently suspended import of soft white wheat from the United States.[41] AKansas farmer sued Monsanto over the release, saying it had caused the price of wheat grown in the US to fall.[42] Monsanto suggested that the presence of this wheat was likely an act of sabotage.[43] On Jun 14, 2013, the USDA announced: "As of today, USDA has neither found nor been informed of anything that would indicate that this incident amounts to more than a single isolated incident in a single field on a single farm. All information collected so far shows no indication of the presence of GE wheat in commerce."[44] As of August 30, 2013, while the source of the GM wheat remained unknown, Japan, South Korea and Taiwan had all resumed placing orders, and the disruption of the export market was minimal.[45]

The investigation was closed in 2014 after the APHIS had exhausted all leads but had not found any evidence that the wheat had entered commercial supply."

Again, the above quote is from a wiki article. I say bull. There is a lot of money at stake here, and Monsanto has the most to lose. Did you know they own the rights to a terminator gene? If that gets loose, we are all goners. 

Life spreads and multiplies. That is what it was designed for, inexorably. I am not sure even Monsanto can stop it, but it will look much different after their interference for massive profits. 

Monsanto already has the soybean market tied up. When their genetically modified crops contaminate adjacent farmland, our wise government has been allowing them to successfully sue and put out of business farmers whose natural crops are contaminated. Since they now mostly all are contaminated, and Monsanto owns a patent on this gene, all of the folks who used to make a living out of saving seeds for replanting for the next crop have been bankrupted as well. All of this is completely legal, and makes my blood boil.

Or it could be that General Mills brought in some animal feces and mixed it with thousands of tons of wheat which was subsequently ground into flour. I don't know, but I hope that is just what they did. It would be safer in the long run, if there is to be one for us.

Sorry for the rant and doom and gloom, but this is important for folks to grasp before it it too late. Profit is not everything, even in a capitalist society like ours. We need a long term outlook especially when it comes to our very food supply.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

Kroger has informed me on my last six checkout receipts about the recall, specifying Gold Medal flour, which is what I generally buy. The first one came out after I'd finished off my last bag of Gold Medal. I have not died. Guess mine was OK.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

17 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Does anyone know how in blazes e-coli bacteria, much more commonly associated with animal products can get into a vegetarian food product like flour?

Feces.  From animals in wheat fields, from rodents in storage facilities, and rodents in flour mills.  Sequencing the bacteria has nothing to do with it.  Nor does GM wheat. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dscheidt said:

Feces.  From animals in wheat fields, from rodents in storage facilities, and rodents in flour mills.  Sequencing the bacteria has nothing to do with it.  Nor does GM wheat. 

I fervently hope you are right. I did mention the feces possibility myself. Gross, but not as bad in the long run as the other option.

I will just not taste any raw dough even if it has no eggs for the nonce.

> ^ . . ^ <

I sent photos and filled out a form at the GM website to get coupons for replacement of 3 cans of Wondra.   The UPC code was the same as well as the month and year on the bottom of the can.  They responded mine as not part of the recall.  The date on the bottom of the can was off by 3 days.  I thought that was interesting since several months were included in the recall

• Like 1