• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quality differences in Tapioca Starch, Rice Flour, etc

gfron1

Wondering if anyone has ever noticed a difference to explain the price variance among these products by brand. For an example, the bag on the left is .99c US at my local store, and right next to it was the bag to the right priced at $2.19US. There's a third brand that falls in the middle at $1.79US. I've never noticed a difference but I don't use them every day.PXL_20240302_225316510_MP.thumb.jpg.8841457ce9f07d24781e1df9b8d69348.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't noticed with starches. But I've never compared, or even paid that close attention.

There's a huge difference with gums. Not just different brands and product lines, but sometimes different batches.

The supply chain shitshows of the last few years have shaken things up. The big companies (like ingredeon) seem to respond to price hikes in a particular gum by finding a cheaper and possibly lower-quality source. And not telling anyone. I had a couple of ice cream consulting clients say they started having problems with familiar brands. Some of them had to start experimenting by importing alternatives from different countries and doing their own experiments.

• Like 1

Notes from the underbelly