• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (May 2016–Oct 2016)

Anna N

A group brunch on Sunday, I chose deviled kidneys which were perfect and Iuan had Egs Benedict on smoked salmon which I was allowed to try and was wonderfully delicate, also a pot of Earl Gray tea or is it Earl Grey?

IMG_3330.jpg

IMG_3329.jpg

IMG_3328.jpg

• Like 11

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

Pasta bake with mozzarella, tomatoes (not cooked), basil, plenty of garlic and very little cream. I really like the crunchy pasta on top.
I made a large amount and bakes it in two batches over a couple of days. Chopped salad on the side.

20160708_142917.jpg20160709_201446.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 10

~ Shai N.

Odds and ends. Last of the Honeybaked Ham (had it for Christmas, froze several mealsized portions, opened the last one last week). Last of a package of co-jack cheese. Last two bread and butter pickle slices in the jar. Bottom-of-the-bag chips.

Otherwise known as: a ham sammich. (With sliced tomatoes from the garden, I might add.)

ham sammich 071116.JPG

• Like 10

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

14 hours ago, naguere said:

Earl Gray tea or is it Earl Grey?

Given that it is generally assumed to named for a historical figure, either General Charles Grey, 1st Baron Grey or his son, Charles Grey , 2nd Baron Grey (stories vary), then it is correctly "Grey".

Even without the eponymous reference, the blend definitely originated in England where "Grey" is the preferred spelling.

I must buy some - yes, I can buy it in China. Imported from England!

Edited by liuzhou
typo (log)
  • Like 7

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

12 hours ago, shain said:

12 hours ago, shain said:

Pasta bake with mozzarella, tomatoes (not cooked), basil, plenty of garlic and very little cream. I really like the crunchy pasta on top.
I made a large amount and bakes it in two batches over a couple of days. Chopped salad on the side.

20160709_201446.jpg

shain,

I'm also a fan of crispy pasta in a baked dish, with cheese, especially. I seek out and covet the crispy bits. Your dish asks me to indulge through my screen from thousands of miles away.

When I make a dish like yours, it's not done until the pasta on top and around the edges is a bit browned and crunchy like yours. Michael Stern, who is one of the early authors of food books and the founder of the Roadfood.com website, agrees with us. Sadly, he's retired now, but used to write rhapsodically about crispy macaroni and cheese, and many other delicious things. I could always relate.

• Like 3

> ^ . . ^ <

Leftover flatbread topped with zucchini, mushrooms, onion, kalamata olives and feta.  Tomato, cucumber onion salad.

image.jpeg

A little white wine and (mostly) seltzer water.

The porch table and chairs may be plastic but I picked a pretty crystal glass for my wine :).

• Like 9

Tomato, cucumber and onion salad is one of my favourites.   And it certainly shows class to choose a crystal glass for your wine when the chairs are plastic!  Someone after my own heart all around. 

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Beef and Guinness pies using leftover Irish stew as filling.

Rather nice they were....despite the pathetic decorating attempt of only one. It was supposed to be a gum tree, sigh.

image.jpeg

Dead horse (tomato sauce or ketchup) is mandatory.

image.jpeg

The filling held together well.

image.jpeg

• Like 19

IMG_7165.JPG

A lunch bento box from Delica, a store in the Ferry Building.

Clockwise from right:  Japanese rice with goma (sesame seeds); daikon root stir-fry; shrimp croquettes with tartar sauce; hijiki and soybean salad.

Coupled with a salmon roe onigiri, this cost $18.

• Like 5

@sartoric

You had me right up until you put that damn ketchup on it. >:(:)

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

@ProfessionalHobbit

Wow.  I noticed you did not comment on the quality but the presentation certainly seems to lack that " Japanese" finesse. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Had a hankering for a dog and bun (my thin weiner split while in the bath with the DH's thicker sausage).  The deep fat fryer was out and needed an oil change but before I did that I happened to have some frites material soaking in the fridge so in they went.

Yes, that's homemade mayo for dipping.

DSC01487.jpg

• Like 11

I got a frozen package of cooked lobster meat. I thought it would be chunks but it was mostly shredded.  Nothing like spending a lot of money for 12 ounces of lobster leavings.  Oh well, I made a Cobb style salad with the lobster instead of ham or chicken. It was a pretty good lunch.

DSCN3645.jpg

• Like 11

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

@sartoric  

my apologies. 

maybe ketchup is a down under thing.  Who knew ?

take a look at the very end of the last video here :

page 8

Correct, it's very much an Aussie thing. I have it with meat pies, sausage rolls, and pasties, some people reckon basically any baked savoury things are fair game. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Tere said:

I found the dead horse thing fascinating (and wondered if it was a cousin of Cockney rhyming slang) so am just dumping my brief research here. I guess it's the same roots but a different branch?

http://jendi.bowmeow.com.au/rhymingslang1.html

Thanks for that @Tere I forced myself to read the whole list. It's my understanding too that it derives from CRS. I knew about 50 % of the rhymes, although many wouldn't be used in the context given (well, maybe in 1910). 

• Like 3

It basically smelt like a descendant of Cockney rhyming slang as soon as I read it, but I didn't want to ride on in and declaim that as truth. The flow looked very very similar though!

• Like 3

Lunch today. Poor man's pizza.

Basically a couple of slices of bread (home made, I may add) with a slice of tomato covered in what China imagines America imagines is Mozzarella cheese. There was a caper under the cheese, too. Grilled. Broiled. Burnt. Whatever.

Sample one was a clear failure.

IMG_2326.jpg

Just look at that inadequate cheese to bread coverage in the north-eastern corner. I hang my eG hat in shame!

Still I peppered it and ate it. Food waste is not my scene.

Sample two went the other way.

IMG_2331.jpg

It suffered from leakage in the far west. If only the leakage had leapt over and landed on the north-eastern corner of sample one, I would have nothing to write about.

My disappointment at this catastrophe was only alleviated by the fact that they both tasted rather fine. The beer I used to lubricate their passage had no deleterious consequences, either.

• Like 15

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto