• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (May 2016–Oct 2016)

Anna N

This weekend:

Crispy mackerel

Qy2xIMe.jpg

Almost like my breakfast in Japan, without the daikon.

XvJFNxP.jpg

Lamb mince

kMvFUgG.jpg

Isot Biber

wIA8Ess.jpg

With a bretty IPA, garlic parsley creamy sauce and some sour vegs (in jar).

skQsyAA.jpg

And before the above:

just strawberries in croissant dough. I don't have a sweet tooth so someone in my house was happy to eat these.

ZpL7psy.jpg

Used Lebkuchen spice in the sugar for sprinkling. Lebkuchen, Spanish flan and pastries with poppy seeds are just about the only few things with sugar I actually enjoy.

jycNBWS.jpg

Or maybe it was an excuse to eat crème fraîche

5mb4Ytg.jpg

• Like 16

As part of my urgent need to empty two fridge freezers before Friday so that I can defrost them while away for the weekend to Hunan, for lunch I had some wontons (which most Chinese actually call 馄饨 - hún tún) served with my favourite bottled pickled chili sauce (糟辣酱 - zāo là jiàng) as a dip.

IMG_2732.jpg

IMG_2737.jpg

• Like 9

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I have been calling these crostini pizzas, but it dawned on me that there is really more to it than that. Back in my restaurant life, Sunday was dinner all day and the wait staff had to have a meal provided. I went through all kinds of items, some more successful than others. One day I spotted Stouffer's French bread pizza in the frozen food section and the lights came on for me. We could use the loaves of bread that had never made it out to the salad bar the night before and we had an enormous selection of toppings. The next Sunday it was French bread pizza and was a big hit and quickly acquired the handle "FBP".

Here we have a mushroom and a meatball and pepper FBP.

HC

IMG_1516.JPG

• Like 12

1 hour ago, ProfessionalHobbit said:

nuoc mam sauce

Very nice lunch.

I thought what was in the small glass bowl was oil when I saw it, and was, quite frankly, a bit turned off. I looked up nuoc mam sauce, and came up with this. Is that what you had?

I'm intrigued. My Thai fish sauce is nearly black and would color anything it was put in, even in small concentrations, but your photo seems to mimic some kind of vegetable oil, and the one on the link is golden, if murkier than yours.

Would you be kind enough to elaborate and enlighten us?

> ^ . . ^ <

Cheese endorphins are kicking in right about now...

Y4ge6gm.jpg
This Heublumenkäse ("hayflowers cheese") is an organic, unpasteurised cow's milk cheese pressed with hay, native wild blossoms and grass.

A piece of Swiss Alps on my plate.

R2q7ZkE.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 9

6 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

Very nice lunch.

I thought what was in the small glass bowl was oil when I saw it, and was, quite frankly, a bit turned off. I looked up nuoc mam sauce, and came up with this. Is that what you had?

I'm intrigued. My Thai fish sauce is nearly black and would color anything it was put in, even in small concentrations, but your photo seems to mimic some kind of vegetable oil, and the one on the link is golden, if murkier than yours.

Would you be kind enough to elaborate and enlighten us?

It could have been nuoc cham.

It was at some restaurant a block from the office.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BonVivant said:

Cheese endorphins are kicking in right about now...

Y4ge6gm.jpg
This Heublumenkäse ("hayflowers cheese") is an organic, unpasteurised cow's milk cheese pressed with hay, native wild blossoms and grass.

A piece of Swiss Alps on my plate.

R2q7ZkE.jpg

I want all of that. 

But where's the little mouse?

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

IMG_7570.JPG

4 slices sourdough bread, cut into cubes and tossed with 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, a pinch of salt and some black pepper.

Pre-heat oven to 400 F. Spread bread cubes onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes or until croutons are golden brown. Remove sheet from oven and cool.

IMG_7576.JPG

Clockwise from left: 1 tbsp. red wine vinegar; 1 clove garlic, minced; 6 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil; 2 anchovy fillets; pinch of kosher salt.

IMG_7578.JPG

Mash garlic in a mortar and pestle along with a scant pinch of salt until you obtain a smooth paste. If you don't have a mortar and pestle, you can do the same thing with either a fork and a bowl.

IMG_7584.JPG

This is about right.  Transfer paste to a bowl.

IMG_7587.JPG

Repeat with the anchovies.  Transfer resulting paste to a bowl.

IMG_7589.JPG

To the garlic paste, whisk in the anchovy paste and red wine vinegar. Taste for salt. Whisk in the olive oil, then set dressing aside.

IMG_7594.JPG

Salt-and-pepper croutons.

IMG_7632.JPG

Tear apart Little Gem lettuce leaves (or if you don't have any, romaine lettuce is fine) and place in a bowl. Add croutons. Toss lettuce and croutons along with anchovy dressing.

Transfer lettuce and croutons atop a salad plate. Top with an egg fried in butter, then shave some Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese over.

Serve immediately.

IMG_7638.JPG

Deconstructed Caesar's salad.

IMG_7596.JPG

4 zucchini, sliced; 1 large onion, sliced into half-moons.

IMG_7597.JPG

5 ripe heirloom tomatoes, diced.

IMG_7599.JPG

Warm olive oil in a pan over medium heat, then add the onion. Cook until onion is translucent and limp, about 15 minutes.

IMG_7604.JPG

Add the diced tomatoes. Season with salt and black pepper, and some chopped fresh oregano. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Tomatoes will eventually break down and form a loose sauce.

IMG_7610.JPG

In a separate pan, warm 2-3 tbsp. olive oil over medium heat, then add zucchini. Season with salt and black pepper. Sauté until zucchini becomes golden brown. Transfer zucchini to tomato sauce. Reduce heat to low and simmer zucchini, partly covered, for 45 minutes.

IMG_7627.JPG

About 15 minutes before the zucchini are ready, add a generous handful of basil to the pan. Stir a few times.

IMG_7657.JPG

Once zucchini are done, stir in a pat of unsalted butter. Taste for salt and black pepper, then serve.

IMG_7661.JPG

Stufato di zucchine.

• Like 14

On 30/07/2016 at 6:26 PM, kayb said:

I want all of that. 

But where's the little mouse?

Mouse breakfast board is too small for the big wedge of cheese this time. It will come back another time, it's my favourite breakfast board.

• Like 3

Supermarket's fish counter has containers of roe. Not such a food hell after all then.

kG6OENe.jpg

See how high I can pile salmon roe on this tiny piece of rye bread...

NkgzAnb.jpg

More later. It's time I headed out for beer, the real reason I'm here. Beer and cheese - my one and only raison d'etre.

• Like 11

I just wanted to try a typical Estonian cheese.

4PsXwLm.jpg

Estonians like German food and so do I. Whilst on holiday here I can just continue eating my normal bland food. Salted herring and smoked hake (I thought it was haddock), under eur.2 each. I'm gobsmacked it costs half or 1/3 the price here.

YUoMFv4.jpg

---

Tere, yes I will eat some bear sausages and "meat soup" at Olde Hansa soon. It is the most touristy medieval themed restaurant in town. Even my acquaintances here in Tallinn recommend the meat soup.

Had dinner at Ö yesterday! Lasted 4.5hrs! Was invited to go in the kitchen to see head chef (Ranno) before I left! Waitress said she was most impressed with my exhaustive research on Estonian food and craft beers wishing more tourists would do this as well. Anyway, it's to be discussed somewhere else. But here's a preview for you: goat's cheese mousse which came with the smell and "mist" of Estonian forests. (Never mind the stranger with whom I shared the table. Ran into the same stranger in Spitsbergen back in 2012, where I got the same shirt.)

aHDeskl.jpg

Edited by BonVivant (log)
  • Like 10