• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Sous Vide Circulator (Part 3)

• 1 month later...

I do a lot of cooking at 55C which is, I would say, a rather critical area.  Since I'm pasteurizing some eggs at the moment I took the opportunity and measured the bath against my new Thermoworks.  The anova reads 55C and the water measures 55.15C.

Better, I guess, a little high than a little low.  I wonder though if it's worth trying to adjust the anova so it matches the thermometer?

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I do a lot of cooking at 55C which is, I would say, a rather critical area.  Since I'm pasteurizing some eggs at the moment I took the opportunity and measured the bath against my new Thermoworks.  The anova reads 55C and the water measures 55.15C.

Better, I guess, a little high than a little low.  I wonder though if it's worth trying to adjust the anova so it matches the thermometer?

The Anova's thermocouple should be more accurate than than the one on the Thermoworks. If you have doubts, write to Anova tech support. They generally implore us not to try to calibrate the circulators using home thermometers. If you have reason to believe the thing is really out of whack, they can calibrate it using their lab instruments. If I remember their support article right, it suggested the only really good reason to calibrate to your thermometer is if you mostly care about them agreeing.

Notes from the underbelly

On 06/04/2018 at 10:25 PM, paulraphael said:

Do any Anova 1 users notice a sticky residue on the rubberized parts, like the clamp assembly? Mine has had this for a year or two now. I don't want to clean it too aggressively because I don't know if it's stuff that stuck to it, or if it's the rubber itself getting breaking down. If the latter, I'd be afraid of scraping it off accidentally and making it worse than before.

I was just about to post this same question, as I'm having the exact same problem. I would like to know how you rectify this.

54 minutes ago, paulraphael said:

The Anova's thermocouple should be more accurate than than the one on the Thermoworks. If you have doubts, write to Anova tech support. They generally implore us not to try to calibrate the circulators using home thermometers. If you have reason to believe the thing is really out of whack, they can calibrate it using their lab instruments. If I remember their support article right, it suggested the only really good reason to calibrate to your thermometer is if you mostly care about them agreeing.

"Out of whack" is not the best expression.  More like "very close but not quite right."  The Thermoworks is rated accurate to plus or minus 0.05C.  If so the 55.0C bath is most likely between 55.10C and 55.20C.  The supplied certificate of calibration says plus or minus 0.06F, plus instrument resolution.  At the 104.00F calibration point the Thermoworks is off 0.03F.  At the 158.00F calibration point it is off 0.04F.

For fun I also tried the Thermapen MK4 while anovaing my eggs.  It read the bath as 55.1C.  While my new Thermoworks waterproof with penetration probe read the bath as 54.9-55.0.

16 minutes ago, barista said:

I was just about to post this same question, as I'm having the exact same problem. I would like to know how you rectify this.

I do not have any such sticky residue problem with my anova.  I suggest you reach out to their tech support.

6 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

"Out of whack" is not the best expression.  More like "very close but not quite right."  The Thermoworks is rated accurate to plus or minus 0.05C.  If so the 55.0C bath is most likely between 55.10C and 55.20C.  The supplied certificate of calibration says plus or minus 0.06F, plus instrument resolution.  At the 104.00F calibration point the Thermoworks is off 0.03F.  At the 158.00F calibration point it is off 0.04F.

For fun I also tried the Thermapen MK4 while anovaing my eggs.  It read the bath as 55.1C.  While my new Thermoworks waterproof with penetration probe read the bath as 54.9-55.0.

I think it's worth talking to Anova. I had some concerns about the accuracy of my circulator a couple of years ago (it didn't match my thermocouple). The tech guy suggested that I get either a thermometer designed for calibration ($$$) or an ovulation thermometer from the drugstore (cheap). The latter is very accurate and reads to 0.1°F, but only over a one or two degree range right around body temperature, so you can't test linearity. I went with this anyhow. It showed the Anova was within 0.1°, and my other thermometers were off. 

Anova may have other suggestions now ... this was a while ago, and with their first model. 

2 hours ago, paulraphael said:

I think it's worth talking to Anova. I had some concerns about the accuracy of my circulator a couple of years ago (it didn't match my thermocouple). The tech guy suggested that I get either a thermometer designed for calibration ($$$) or an ovulation thermometer from the drugstore (cheap). The latter is very accurate and reads to 0.1°F, but only over a one or two degree range right around body temperature, so you can't test linearity. I went with this anyhow. It showed the Anova was within 0.1°, and my other thermometers were off. 

Anova may have other suggestions now ... this was a while ago, and with their first model. 

My anova is not the original model, it is the one that has provision for calibration in firmware.  I used to communicate with @Anova Jeff although I've not seen him around for a while.  @rotuts has a theory.

I'm not using a thermocouple but if you know of any measuring solutions more accurate than what HP or Thermoworks have to offer I'd be interested.  Unfortunately however I've blown my thermometer budget for the month.

My Thermoworks reads to 0.01F but as I said it is only accurate to 0.06F, except at the calibration points.

On 25/05/2018 at 11:50 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I do not have any such sticky residue problem with my anova.  I suggest you reach out to their tech support.

Thanks. Ya, I think I'll do that. I got mine (twin bundle) from their Kickstarter program.

• Like 1

All the Anovas are user-calibratable ... the company has just recommended against it. 

Have you looked at Basal thermometers? They claim accuracy to 1/100°F and usually cost under $20. Mine is an analog one from the drugstore.  I'm skeptical that they're really this accurate, but they should be good enough to check a circulator. I don't know if I'd actually use it for calibration, since it only gives a reading in a single range. But if it shows your circulator's off by more than 1/2 a degree you'd reason to call tech support and get their advice. They may tell you to send it in for a factory calibration, or maybe they'll say you can use the basal thermometer or thermoworks to calibrate.

13 hours ago, paulraphael said:

All the Anovas are user-calibratable ... the company has just recommended against it. 

Have you looked at Basal thermometers? They claim accuracy to 1/100°F and usually cost under $20. Mine is an analog one from the drugstore.  I'm skeptical that they're really this accurate, but they should be good enough to check a circulator. I don't know if I'd actually use it for calibration, since it only gives a reading in a single range. But if it shows your circulator's off by more than 1/2 a degree you'd reason to call tech support and get their advice. They may tell you to send it in for a factory calibration, or maybe they'll say you can use the basal thermometer or thermoworks to calibrate.

No, the older units are not user-calibratable without returning to the factory for an upgrade...ask @Kerry Beal

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/145431-anova-sous-vide-circulator-part-1/?do=findComment&comment=1930394

My anova is firmware version 2.02 and I verified tonight that I can get to the calibration screen.  Temperatures can be adjusted plus or minus in 0.1C steps but I am not clear exactly what this means so until I figure it out I left the settings alone.  In other words if I adjust the setting 0.1C cooler does that mean the bath heats 0.1C cooler or the readout reads 0.1C cooler?  I suspect the former but I am not sure.

No, I have not looked into basal thermometers because I seldom cook humans or at human body temperatures.  To my experience such thermometers do not come with certificates of calibration.  Though now that you mention it I was running a fever last night.

I thought rather than testing at 55.0C I should also test at a couple of the calibration points of my Thermoworks.  My unit reads slightly high.  At a calibration temperature 40.00C it reads 40.02C.  At 70.00C it reads 70.02C.

With the anova stabilized at 40.0C the Thermoworks read between 40.11C and 40.12C.  With the anova stabilized at 70.0C the Thermoworks read between 70.28C and 70.29C.

I don't worry too much about the highest accuracy at 70.0C but it looks like my anova is off by about 0.1C at the temperatures of interest.

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

In other words if I adjust the setting 0.1C cooler does that mean the bath heats 0.1C cooler or the readout reads 0.1C cooler?  I suspect the former but I am not sure.

It is the former, I have the old model with that firmware too and have done the Thermoworks experiment. Works just like calibrating an oven with that feature, set for your desired temp, measure actual temp with an external thermometer, and then use the temperature adjustment on the calibration screen to correct any deviation.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Yiannos said:

It is the former, I have the old model with that firmware too and have done the Thermoworks experiment. Works just like calibrating an oven with that feature, set for your desired temp, measure actual temp with an external thermometer, and then use the temperature adjustment on the calibration screen to correct any deviation.

Thanks!

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

No, the older units are not user-calibratable without returning to the factory for an upgrade...ask @Kerry Beal

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/145431-anova-sous-vide-circulator-part-1/?do=findComment&comment=1930394

Ah, ok. I have the earliest hardware but it must have newer firmware

<<I seldom cook humans or at human body temperatures.>>

It's never too late.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My (bluetooth connected) Anova is working properly, in that it is at the temperature I set, and the app is counting down the time, but the display on the device itself just shows the temperature, rather than switching back and forth between the temperature and the cook time left. Can someone tell me what I need to do to get this working again? TIA

58 minutes ago, robirdstx said:

My (bluetooth connected) Anova is working properly, in that it is at the temperature I set, and the app is counting down the time, but the display on the device itself just shows the temperature, rather than switching back and forth between the temperature and the cook time left. Can someone tell me what I need to do to get this working again? TIA

Okay, I played around with it some and this is what I found:  if I set the time and temp on the device, the app acknowledges it and asks me to name the recipe. The problem seems to happen when I begin the cooking from the named recipe on the app.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 2:26 AM, Yiannos said:

Sorry for the delay but I am finally getting around to making the offset adjustment.  Unfortunately the temperature adjustment on the calibration screen seems to affect the bath temperature not at all!  Also the adjustment doesn't stick.  If I power off and on to get back to the adjustment screen there is no offset shown.

Perhaps there is more to it than I know.  Maybe I will have to contact anova.

On 5/24/2018 at 11:47 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

It seems to me that you are focusing quite a bit on the exact temperature of your bath as measured by various instruments, but are not talking about the results in terms of the resultant food.

Is there a reason we should care about a 0.1-0.2 degree variance?

34 minutes ago, IndyRob said:

It seems to me that you are focusing quite a bit on the exact temperature of your bath as measured by various instruments, but are not talking about the results in terms of the resultant food.

Is there a reason we should care about a 0.1-0.2 degree variance?

Pasteurizing eggs.

13 minutes ago, IndyRob said:

You're going to walk that tightrope with a circulator you can buy off the shelf at Target?

For what I spent on the reference thermometer I could have purchased a laboratory anova...and I may yet.

From what I see on the chart on p12 of this old paper, it looks like a change in 0.2°F (roughly 0.1°C) corresponds with a 10% change in time. 

So if you thought your circulator might be off by a fraction of a degree you could just add 20% to the holding time.

Or just accept that pasteurization standards are kind of arbitrary to begin with (who said that log 6.5 reduction is safe, but log 5 isn't? This is without even knowing the starring bacterial colony size). If you're getting inspected in a professional kitchen, that's a different story.

30 minutes ago, paulraphael said:

From what I see on the chart on p12 of this old paper, it looks like a change in 0.2°F (roughly 0.1°C) corresponds with a 10% change in time. 

So if you thought your circulator might be off by a fraction of a degree you could just add 20% to the holding time.

Or just accept that pasteurization standards are kind of arbitrary to begin with (who said that log 6.5 reduction is safe, but log 5 isn't? This is without even knowing the starring bacterial colony size). If you're getting inspected in a professional kitchen, that's a different story.

Point is I don't want to coagulate my eggs any more than absolutely necessary.

I haven't experimented much with egg pasteurizing times/temps. Do you find that a 20 or 30% time difference influences texture or function?

Semi-relatedly, I'm curious to know how the 6.5D standard for pasteurization was arrived at. Some of these standards came about through a lot of rigor, while others just seem to be pulled out of thin air.

Edited to add: I'd also be curious to know what Anova has to say about the differences between the home and the lab circulator. I assume the lab version is more robust and reliable, but don't know if it would stay in calibration significantly longer. It might be assumed that in a lab environment, people have the tools and wits to calibrate stuff. The status of that circulator is also a bit of a mystery. It looks like such a nice unit and a great a value. And it's sometimes been on the Anova Culinary site and sometimes not. It's usually on the Anova scientific site. I don't understand how these companies are related to each other anymore, now that Electrolux has bought the culinary division.

Edited by paulraphael (log)

On 5/27/2018 at 12:52 AM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

I have not looked into basal thermometers because I seldom cook humans...

I sense a new recipe thread coming...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Similar Content

• By kostbill
      I really want to improve the flavor of my chicken breast so I want to try to inject brine with fat and flavors.

I would like to try brining with some hydrocolloids. The one example I found is this: https://torontofoodlab.com/2013/08/20/meat-tenderizing-with-a-carrageenan-brine/.

However I cannot apply that to my chicken breast because I am cooking it sous vide, so the chicken will not reach the temperature needed for the carrageenan to gel.

I am thinking of using Methyl cellulose, first disperse in hot water, then leave it for 24 hours in the fridge, then add salt, fat and flavors and inject it.
      I am afraid that until it reaches the 50C or 60C that the Methyl cellulose needs in order to gel, the liquid will escape.
      Any ideas?
      Thanks.
    • By Anonymous Modernist 760
      Thanks for putting up this forum 🙂
      I would like to bake using a combination of sous vide and a conventional oven. Would it be possible to put the dough in a vacuum bag cook it sous vide at 37C for the dough to raise optimal and then put it in a conventional oven?
      Thanks
    • By PedroG
      Utilization of meat leftovers from sous-vide cooking
      Sometimes when you buy a nice cut of meat, your eyes are bigger than your and your beloved's stomach. So what to do with the leftovers?
      In Tyrolia (Austria) they make a "Gröstl", in Solothurn (Switzerland) they make a "Gnusch", in the Seftigenamt (a region in the Swiss canton Berne) they make a "Gmüder", and we (Pedro and SWAMBO) make a varying concoct using ideas from all of the three. We call it "Gröstl", but it is not necessarily a typical Tyrolean Gröstl, and it is different each time, and we usually do not top it with a fried egg as they do in Austria.
      Ingredients

All your meat leftovers
      Onion (compulsory)
      Any hard vegetable (we prefer celery stalks, or zucchini)
      Any salad (iceberg lettuce or endive/chicory or any other salad leaves, may contain carrot julienne)
      Fried potatoes, or alternatively sweetcorn kernels
      Sherry or wine or bouillon or the gravy you preserved from your last LTLT.cooked meat for simmering (I usually prefer Sherry)
      Eventually some cream (or crème fraîche)
      Salt, pepper, parsley, caraway seeds (typical for Tyrolean Gröstl), paprika, condiment (in Switzerland we use "Aromat" by Knorr, which contains sodium chloride, sodium glutamate, lactose, starch, yeast extract, vegetable fats, onions, spices, E552)'
      vegetable oil (I prefer olive oil)

Mise en place

cut your meat in small cubes or slices
      cut the onion(s) not too fine (place the first cut below your tongue to avoid tearing during cutting)
      cut the vegetables about 3-4 mm thick
      cut the salads to pieces smaller than 4 cm, distribute on the cutting board and season deliberately
      cut the potatoes to 1 cm cubes
      place 3 heavy skillets with ample oil on the stove

Cooking

in skillet 1, stir-fry the onions, add the hard vegetables still stir-frying, add salad, add sufficient liquid (Sherry or wine or bouillon or gravy) for simmering under a cover until soft. If desired, reduce heat and add some cream at the end.
      in skillet 2, stir-fry the potatoes until soft (in case of sweetcorn kernels, add to skillet 1 after stir-frying and use skillet 2 for skillet 3)
      in skillet 3, as soon as the vegetables and the potatoes are soft, sear the meat in just smoking oil for 30-60 seconds, then add to skillet 1

Serving
      You may mix the potatoes with the vegetables and meat to make a rather typical Gröstl, or serve the fried potatoes separately; we prefer the latter, as the potatoes stay more crunchy.
      Do not forget to serve a glass of good dry red wine!
    • By PedroG
      Brisket „Stroganoff“ Sous Vide With Mixed Mushrooms

Ingredients for 2 servings
      about 400g well marbled Brisket
      3 tablespoons rice bran oil or other high smoke point oil (grapeseed oil)
      3 tablespoons extravirgin olive oil
      3 tablespoons Cognac (brandy)
      2 small onions, finely diced
      ½ yellow or red bell peppers cut into strips
      90 g mixed mushrooms
      100 ml of gravy from last Brisket (or concentrated stock)
      1 teaspoon mustard, Dijon type
      1 teaspoon paprika mild (not spicy!)
      1 medium pickled cucumber cut into thin strips
      2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
      approx. 120g sour cream with herbs
      Sous Vide - cooking
      Marinate brisket with Mexican style (medium hot) marinade in the vacuum bag for at least 3 days at 1 ° C, cook sous vide 48 hours at 55.0 ° C.
      Preparing the sauce
      At a moderate heat sauté onions in olive oil, add peppers (preblanched in the microwave oven for 2-3 minutes) and mushroom mixture, stir-fry, remove from heat and add the gravy. Add pickled cucumber, pepper, mustard and cognac. Put on very low heat, add sour cream and keep warm, but do not boil as the cream will separate. Remove the brisket from the bag, cut into strips (about 8x10x35mm), sear very quickly in smoking-hot rice bran oil, add the meat and the parsley to the sauce.
      Serving
      Serve on warmed plates. Typically served with spätzle (south German) or chnöpfli (Swiss).
      And don't forget a glass of good red wine!
      Enjoy your meal!
      Pedro

• By PedroG
      Olla podrida sous vide
      Origin
      Not rotten pot, but mighty or rich pot! Originated in 16th century Spain, olla poderida became olla podrida and was falsely translated into French as pot-pourri.
      Ingredients
      For two servings
      * 100g Brisket well marbled, cooked SV 48h/55°C, large dice †
      * 100g Pork meat well marbled, cooked SV 24h/55°C, large dice †
      * 100g Lamb chops without bone, cooked SV 4h/55°C, large dice †
      * 100g Chicken breast, cooked SV 2h/58°C, large dice †
      * 100g Chorizo, sliced approximately 4mm †
      * 125g Chickpeas (garbanzos), soaked overnight in water †
      * 1 Onion chopped medium-fine †
      * ½ Savoy cabbage approx. 200g cut into pieces, thick leaf veins removed
      * ½ Celeriac approx. 200g quartered, sliced about 2mm
      * 2 Carrots sliced approximately 120g about 3mm
      * 1 Leek approximately 20cm / 100g sliced about 5mm
      * Extra virgin olive oil
      * Rice bran oil
      * Dried parsley qs, aromatic, black pepper
      † Beef, pork, lamb and chicken (or at least two kinds of meat) as well as chorizo, chickpeas and onions are mandatory ingredients, other vegetables vary according to desire and availability.
      Cooking
      Boil chickpeas in water for 30-60 min.
      Sauté onions in olive oil, add chorizo, continue sautéing, add chickpeas including its cooking water, add remaining vegetables, cover and cook to the desired softness, stir from time to time. If additional liquid is needed, you may add Sherry instead of water.
      Reduce heat. Season to taste. Add parsley.
      In a heavy skillet, sear the meat dice in just smoking hot rice bran oil (very high smoking point allows very quick sear, not overdoing the center of the meat).
      Sear one kind of meat at a time and transfer to the pan with the vegetables.