• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anova Sous Vide Circulator (Part 3)

[Host's note: this topic forms part of an extended discussion that grew too big for our servers to handle efficiently.  The discussion continues from here.]

I am thinking about an Anova for a slightly different purpose. Can I use this in a home brewing environment to manage the grain mash temperature? 

Maybe I can use this for a HERMS brewing setup? I would use the Anova to maintain the temperature of a hot water tank. I would then use my pump to circulate the wort from the mash tun through a heat exchanger (copper coil) that is immersed in the hot water tank.

Thanks. 

Dan

Edited by lesliec
Added host's note (log)

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

3 hours ago, DanM said:

I am thinking about an Anova for a slightly different purpose. Can I use this in a home brewing environment to manage the grain mash temperature?

I don't see why not.  though most poeple use a heater element and a PID controller,

might be cheaper.

a sure way to do this is that your mash be in a food-safe container that would be in the water bath that the Anova manages in the usual

circulatory maner.

if you have a lot of mash, then more than one container so the water bathes them all .

If you choose to put the Anova in the mash itself  :

consider the granularity of the mash re circulatory issues,  and consider the pH of the mash re possible damage to the Anova.

good Idea you have Id say.

let us know how you might proceed

10 hours ago, DanM said:

Maybe I can use this for a HERMS brewing setup? I would use the Anova to maintain the temperature of a hot water tank. I would then use my pump to circulate the wort from the mash tun through a heat exchanger (copper coil) that is immersed in the hot water tank.

Thanks. 

Dan

That should work and be more efficient than trying to maintain the temperature of the whole mash tun

ETA: you probably would want to monitor the temperature in the mash, though.

Edited by haresfur (log)

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

On 4/27/2016 at 1:42 PM, paulraphael said:

I've been trying to find a simple way to use the circulator to proof bread dough and starters..

I've not done exactly this, but I've done similar stuff and have a few pointers/suggestions.  For starters, I like to work in canning jars, either 12 oz jelly or 24 oz wide mouth, both of which are relatively tall for volume (helps with water level issues) and have straight sides (easy to scrape out).  Both are stock Ball jars, but may require a little hunting to track down; the latter are called pints-and-a-half.  The 12 oz jars also are great for working with custards in a water bath and the 24 oz end up being useful for all sorts of things, so these aren't one purpose acquisitions.  As for dough, the first rise is relatively easy.  Again, you want something tall for volume.  I like steam table inserts; soup inserts also could be used, if you'd prefer round.  No good way to do the second rise comes to mind, especially if you're using a proofing basket.  Maybe float in an insert and rely mostly on latent heat?

BTW, if you have one of the old Auber/FMS controllers hanging around, that plus a countertop roaster makes a wizard proofing box.  That's what I do for starters, actually, dry rather than wet.  For dough, I use a fairly conventional heat-source-in-a-box strategy, currently a coffee mug warmer on a lamp dimmer.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

i just noticed I had an email from Anova

code is 

anova-8b9fbs82

i just got a wifi so maybe this code still works

they also mentioned they will be in all the Target stores this fall  w demo's

guess they are mainstream now

• Like 1

Going to SV some baby back ribs for the Fourth and finish them under the broiler, as I'm not ambitious enough to finish them on the grill. Any critiques of Kenji's method of 165F for 12 hours?

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I think that at that temp, you are going to get Fall Off the Bone Ribs.

nice if that's what you are looking at.

but a lot of Jus dans le Bag.  you can reduce that jus, add some flavoring and baste the ribs for the broiler

Or   ....

pick a lower temp, 150  and keep some of that just and flavor in the meat.

it will be toothsome, but moist.

Id take longer and use a lower temp to maximize the flavor in the meat itself.

but try it, keep track of your results, and then do it again at a lower temp and see.

BTW, you are going to remove the 'membrane' on the concave side of the ribs ?

a crucial step.

I'm with rotuts. Maybe 145°F for 24 hours. Nothing wrong with fall-off-the-bone doneness, if that's what you like. But 165°/12 hours doesn't make the technique shine; it's just an easy way to get traditional results (again, nothing wrong with that).

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Last night I did spare ribs at 167 for five hours (4 hours was suggested by ChefSteps, but I went a bit long).  These were very good, but didn't come cleanly off the bone.  I've previously done 12 hours at 165 and it may have been a bit long.  Perhaps 6-8 hours would be the Goldilocks zone.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, rotuts said:

I think that at that temp, you are going to get Fall Off the Bone Ribs.

nice if that's what you are looking at.

but a lot of Jus dans le Bag.  you can reduce that jus, add some flavoring and baste the ribs for the broiler

Or   ....

pick a lower temp, 150  and keep some of that just and flavor in the meat.

it will be toothsome, but moist.

Id take longer and use a lower temp to maximize the flavor in the meat itself.

but try it, keep track of your results, and then do it again at a lower temp and see.

BTW, you are going to remove the 'membrane' on the concave side of the ribs ?

a crucial step.

Kenji gives a choice of 165 for 12 hours for "traditional" ribs, or something lower (145, I think?) for 36 hours for meatier, more toothsome ribs. He contends the 165 at 12 will still have some "chew."

Looks now as though I may not do them after all; I still have thawed pork chops to do, as we opted for hot dogs today. Ribs may wait a day or so.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

does Kenji mention the extruded fund in the bag at the higher temp ?   if you want that, fine.

but SV at lower temps  ( then longer times ) keeps a lot of that in the meat, flavor and moisture

its one of its many features.

Whatever you do, it is helpful to keep a log of what you did and how you liked it.  For babybacks,  I have tried various times and temps, 24 hours at 155 was fall off the bone, which is overcooked for me,  24 hours at 142 was pretty tender.   I have settled in around 36 hours at 142 for St Louis Style ribs, then on the grill or under the broiler with some sauce..   

• Like 2

I was rather amused to get an email from Anova last night with the subject line "Celebrate The 4th Like A True American BBQ Hero." The timestamp was 7:07 PM yesterday (that was 3 July). Why is this relevant? The recipe in the email was for "the ultimate BBQ pulled pork shoulder," which cooks SV for 18 to 24 hours and then gets finished on a grill for another 1.5 hours.

Assuming I actually had a boneless pork shoulder in my fridge and a sealable bag large enough to hold it, as well as all the other ingredients for the rub in my pantry, and if I'd gotten started at 7:07 PM when the email arrived, using the minimum 18 hours of SV, the soonest I'd be eating would be nearly 4 PM today (the holiday). And if my pork shoulder were large enough and shaped such that it actually needed a full 24 hours to precook, dinner wouldn't be served until well after any fireworks display.

I'm sure the recipe is wonderful—I believe the rub is Kenji's rib rub previously published in The Food Lab. I just find the timing of the email from Anova a little off, to say the least!

MelissaH

• Like 4

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I just got mine from the Target website.  I've previously prided my self on using a $25 Presto Kitchen Kettle, or an oven hack, but for $170, the convenience factor won.

I think I'd take mine on vacation.  I already have a butane burner in the car, and would certainly bring a cooler.  It would be a low risk move.

• Like 2
  • 10 months later...

sometime the Search Fx donsnt seem to work very well ,

I could not find the Anova circulator thread

I was looking into the Oven  , which seems to be delayed one year

:(

and saw these :

https://www.engadget.com/gallery/anovas-precision-cooker-and-oven-at-ces-2017/

does anyone know more about the new circulators ?

editors ;  please feel free to move this to the Anova thread

maybe you can find it ?   I could not

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, rotuts said:

...  now , why their oven is being delayed a year is a completely different matter .

I would rather they get it right than be rushed into something that isn't ready on the market. Engineering can be tricky and frustrating at times.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

• 8 months later...
  • Similar Content

• By kostbill
      I really want to improve the flavor of my chicken breast so I want to try to inject brine with fat and flavors.

I would like to try brining with some hydrocolloids. The one example I found is this: https://torontofoodlab.com/2013/08/20/meat-tenderizing-with-a-carrageenan-brine/.

However I cannot apply that to my chicken breast because I am cooking it sous vide, so the chicken will not reach the temperature needed for the carrageenan to gel.

I am thinking of using Methyl cellulose, first disperse in hot water, then leave it for 24 hours in the fridge, then add salt, fat and flavors and inject it.
      I am afraid that until it reaches the 50C or 60C that the Methyl cellulose needs in order to gel, the liquid will escape.
      Any ideas?
      Thanks.
    • By Anonymous Modernist 760
      Thanks for putting up this forum 🙂
      I would like to bake using a combination of sous vide and a conventional oven. Would it be possible to put the dough in a vacuum bag cook it sous vide at 37C for the dough to raise optimal and then put it in a conventional oven?
      Thanks
    • By PedroG
      Utilization of meat leftovers from sous-vide cooking
      Sometimes when you buy a nice cut of meat, your eyes are bigger than your and your beloved's stomach. So what to do with the leftovers?
      In Tyrolia (Austria) they make a "Gröstl", in Solothurn (Switzerland) they make a "Gnusch", in the Seftigenamt (a region in the Swiss canton Berne) they make a "Gmüder", and we (Pedro and SWAMBO) make a varying concoct using ideas from all of the three. We call it "Gröstl", but it is not necessarily a typical Tyrolean Gröstl, and it is different each time, and we usually do not top it with a fried egg as they do in Austria.
      Ingredients

All your meat leftovers
      Onion (compulsory)
      Any hard vegetable (we prefer celery stalks, or zucchini)
      Any salad (iceberg lettuce or endive/chicory or any other salad leaves, may contain carrot julienne)
      Fried potatoes, or alternatively sweetcorn kernels
      Sherry or wine or bouillon or the gravy you preserved from your last LTLT.cooked meat for simmering (I usually prefer Sherry)
      Eventually some cream (or crème fraîche)
      Salt, pepper, parsley, caraway seeds (typical for Tyrolean Gröstl), paprika, condiment (in Switzerland we use "Aromat" by Knorr, which contains sodium chloride, sodium glutamate, lactose, starch, yeast extract, vegetable fats, onions, spices, E552)'
      vegetable oil (I prefer olive oil)

Mise en place

cut your meat in small cubes or slices
      cut the onion(s) not too fine (place the first cut below your tongue to avoid tearing during cutting)
      cut the vegetables about 3-4 mm thick
      cut the salads to pieces smaller than 4 cm, distribute on the cutting board and season deliberately
      cut the potatoes to 1 cm cubes
      place 3 heavy skillets with ample oil on the stove

Cooking

in skillet 1, stir-fry the onions, add the hard vegetables still stir-frying, add salad, add sufficient liquid (Sherry or wine or bouillon or gravy) for simmering under a cover until soft. If desired, reduce heat and add some cream at the end.
      in skillet 2, stir-fry the potatoes until soft (in case of sweetcorn kernels, add to skillet 1 after stir-frying and use skillet 2 for skillet 3)
      in skillet 3, as soon as the vegetables and the potatoes are soft, sear the meat in just smoking oil for 30-60 seconds, then add to skillet 1

Serving
      You may mix the potatoes with the vegetables and meat to make a rather typical Gröstl, or serve the fried potatoes separately; we prefer the latter, as the potatoes stay more crunchy.
      Do not forget to serve a glass of good dry red wine!
    • By PedroG
      Brisket „Stroganoff“ Sous Vide With Mixed Mushrooms

Ingredients for 2 servings
      about 400g well marbled Brisket
      3 tablespoons rice bran oil or other high smoke point oil (grapeseed oil)
      3 tablespoons extravirgin olive oil
      3 tablespoons Cognac (brandy)
      2 small onions, finely diced
      ½ yellow or red bell peppers cut into strips
      90 g mixed mushrooms
      100 ml of gravy from last Brisket (or concentrated stock)
      1 teaspoon mustard, Dijon type
      1 teaspoon paprika mild (not spicy!)
      1 medium pickled cucumber cut into thin strips
      2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
      approx. 120g sour cream with herbs
      Sous Vide - cooking
      Marinate brisket with Mexican style (medium hot) marinade in the vacuum bag for at least 3 days at 1 ° C, cook sous vide 48 hours at 55.0 ° C.
      Preparing the sauce
      At a moderate heat sauté onions in olive oil, add peppers (preblanched in the microwave oven for 2-3 minutes) and mushroom mixture, stir-fry, remove from heat and add the gravy. Add pickled cucumber, pepper, mustard and cognac. Put on very low heat, add sour cream and keep warm, but do not boil as the cream will separate. Remove the brisket from the bag, cut into strips (about 8x10x35mm), sear very quickly in smoking-hot rice bran oil, add the meat and the parsley to the sauce.
      Serving
      Serve on warmed plates. Typically served with spätzle (south German) or chnöpfli (Swiss).
      And don't forget a glass of good red wine!
      Enjoy your meal!
      Pedro

• By PedroG
      Olla podrida sous vide
      Origin
      Not rotten pot, but mighty or rich pot! Originated in 16th century Spain, olla poderida became olla podrida and was falsely translated into French as pot-pourri.
      Ingredients
      For two servings
      * 100g Brisket well marbled, cooked SV 48h/55°C, large dice †
      * 100g Pork meat well marbled, cooked SV 24h/55°C, large dice †
      * 100g Lamb chops without bone, cooked SV 4h/55°C, large dice †
      * 100g Chicken breast, cooked SV 2h/58°C, large dice †
      * 100g Chorizo, sliced approximately 4mm †
      * 125g Chickpeas (garbanzos), soaked overnight in water †
      * 1 Onion chopped medium-fine †
      * ½ Savoy cabbage approx. 200g cut into pieces, thick leaf veins removed
      * ½ Celeriac approx. 200g quartered, sliced about 2mm
      * 2 Carrots sliced approximately 120g about 3mm
      * 1 Leek approximately 20cm / 100g sliced about 5mm
      * Extra virgin olive oil
      * Rice bran oil
      * Dried parsley qs, aromatic, black pepper
      † Beef, pork, lamb and chicken (or at least two kinds of meat) as well as chorizo, chickpeas and onions are mandatory ingredients, other vegetables vary according to desire and availability.
      Cooking
      Boil chickpeas in water for 30-60 min.
      Sauté onions in olive oil, add chorizo, continue sautéing, add chickpeas including its cooking water, add remaining vegetables, cover and cook to the desired softness, stir from time to time. If additional liquid is needed, you may add Sherry instead of water.
      Reduce heat. Season to taste. Add parsley.
      In a heavy skillet, sear the meat dice in just smoking hot rice bran oil (very high smoking point allows very quick sear, not overdoing the center of the meat).
      Sear one kind of meat at a time and transfer to the pan with the vegetables.