• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2015–2016)

BonVivant

3 hours ago, Shelby said:

LOVE your bowls and plates and the color of your walls.  Beautiful shrimp!  What is in the bowls with the limes?

Maybe water to use like a finger bowl after peeling the shrimp? What a gorgeous bowl. Love the feet on it. Wish I could see a close up of that bowl! It looks like cut glass? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kbjesq said:

Maybe water to use like a finger bowl after peeling the shrimp? What a gorgeous bowl. Love the feet on it. Wish I could see a close up of that bowl! It looks like cut glass? 

Correct @kbjesq, they are being used as finger bowls, and are cut glass.

This is the house of a friend who lives nearby. She's very well travelled, and not afraid to pay excess baggage charges to bring back beautiful things. 

• Like 5

image.thumb.jpeg.47ba1801d1790b31d7808c6

Inspired by @HungryChris in the Salad topic. Kimchi potato salad, eggs and a handful of microgreens. 

• Like 10

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Been on the road for a few days eating mainly at uninspiring truck stops, but today came across this small place serving the loveliest jiaozi I've had in a long time.

Light, freshly hand made and very cheap. Served with a very simple soup of chicken stock and Chinese chives and a soy sauce/vinegar dip.

mmexport1458202715293.jpg.b1be5451177316

Edited by liuzhou
typo (log)
  • Like 13

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

A terrible thing is ignorance, the source of endless human woes, spreading a mist over facts, obscuring truth, and casting a gloom upon the individual life. - Lucian of Samosata (born 120, died after 180 CE)

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Turkey Breast 'Salad' on sourdough bread :TB@CSB.thumb.jpg.e73005d5f8feb637c62201d

I ate the other half, and realized this was so good I thought Id post

Turkey Breast was de-tendon'd, placed in the CSB w bacon on the top.   Steam-bake  30 min @ 300 F.  Thermapen'd 140 at that point and removed.

the CSB fits two TB's on the rack over the drip pan nicely.   they are cooled and used for lots os things later

as good or better than SV and a ton better than anything you can buy at the deli.

mayo / Sauer's PrimeRib seasoning  ( a little  it has rosemary in it ) and Window Green Onions   ( they grow in a yogurt container near the window and last

a long long time, changing the water every few days w a Root-Rinse .

the tendon issues are here :

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 7

image.thumb.jpeg.42a7e421481023741838c7e

Simple but oh so good.  Pasta tossed in a sauce of nothing more than Suvir's tomato chutney and cream. And a side of the green pancakes which I had for dinner yesterday evening and for breakfast this morning. Why not?

• Like 7

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

23 minutes ago, Tere said:

Also this is the chutney to which you refer?

If you make this tomato chutney you'll move to the Darkside!  

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

a bit of leftovers....

some fries that I reheated in the oven as well as the skin I pulled off the capon that crisped off in the oven.....freaking incredible.  It was crispy and salty.

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

image.thumb.jpeg.05abb5811513ee0fc8f7096

A day or two ago I attempted a recipe for Kerala chicken curry in the Instant Pot.  It fell far short of being successful. I failed to blend the spice paste sufficiently and so it was unpleasantly gritty with unblended coconut and spices. I attempted a recovery by straining it but this resulted in a very thin sauce.  Still it was tasty enough not to toss so here it is topped with some roasted cauliflower.   The cauliflower was definitely going south but roasted it was fine.  

• Like 8

My 2004 eG Blog

A sad lunch today. I'm on the road and this is all I could find.  >:(

noodles1.jpg

noodles2.jpg

Instant "seafood flavor" noodles. "No flavor" would be more accurate.

• Like 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

A terrible thing is ignorance, the source of endless human woes, spreading a mist over facts, obscuring truth, and casting a gloom upon the individual life. - Lucian of Samosata (born 120, died after 180 CE)

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Lunch yesterday, lentil salad topped with an egg (a chopped clove of garlic added to pan firstly)

IMG_0525.jpg

• Like 4

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.