• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lunch! What'd ya have? (2015–2016)

BonVivant

image.jpeg

A purchased "all beef" sausage roll (that's just wrong!) and a very simle salad with home made blue cheese dressing. 

• Like 11

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Wen't out to get ramen for lunch. Mine was a vegetarian one (first picture) with plenty of thin springy noodles and okayish broth (hint of mushroom, but lacked depth and not savory enough for ramen). It had a very good soft boiled egg, arugala leaves (interesting chooise...), toasted sesame seeds, grilled corn and scallions. It came with a very nice tofu skewer.

My friend got a spicy chicken and miso based broth with chicken skewer (second picture).

20160407_131641.jpg20160407_131655.jpg

• Like 7

~ Shai N.

Loaded baked potato soup. image.jpeg

• Like 11

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Twin chopped kimchi and onion dogs with ballpark style mustard. These were Kayem Old Tyme Natural Casing cooked dirty water style.

Any distraction is a good one when you are doing your taxes.

HC

IMG_0033.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 5

BLT, sans the L, with tomatoes from Florida, purchased at the local produce stand. 

BLT.JPG

Verdict: a tad on the mealy side, but decent flavor for an early season tomato. Good enough that if I get to craving tomatoes before the local crop starts to come in, I'll buy more.

Oh, and these pickles: Boar's Head sweet pickles with horseradish. Like a bread-and-butter pickle (where did that name come from, anyway?) with ground mustard instead of mustard seeds, and a sinus-clearing portion of horseradish. I'm addicted. Will be attempting to recreate when cucumbers come in season.

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I saw this Pineapple Vinegar Vinaigrette with Stoneground Mexican Chocolate the other day on the Rancho Gordo website.  Chocolate??? in a vinaigrette???  I was very curious what it would taste like so I mixed some up and made a salad for lunch.  

The flavor is interesting.  In a good way :smile:.  I can't really taste either pineapple or chocolate (maybe a little chocolate on the aftertaste) and even though I could see fine particles in the jar I used to mix the dressing, there is no sense of grittiness from the chocolate.

IMG_2755.jpg

Mixed greens, roasted asparagus, cara cara orange, red onion, red bell pepper and toasted slivered almonds.   

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)
  • Like 8

Fava beans with chard, leek, chili and garlic; cumin, paprika, lemon juice and sumac. 
Burnt eggplant with tahini sauce and same spices.
Greek yogurt and cherry tomatoes

Soft and fluffy wholemeal pita.

20160410_111343.jpg

• Like 5

~ Shai N.

Sausage salad is very normal food in southern Germany. Often eaten as a light meal between lunch and dinner. And with as many a beer as one desires.

QXHFqgx.jpg

Copious amounts of chopped chives are expected. One can also use cottage cheese or other things. I prefer quark.

612DZzu.jpg

My very own sourdough

SpJDMbf.jpg

(Store-bought) cured pork belly and other things.

aPR2GSP.jpg

• Like 11

Can't hold a candle to @BonVivant's lunch spread and sausage salad, but lunch today was tomatoes with mayo, cottage cheese and bacon, jail slaw, and a dish of those finally-cooked, but not very good because they cooked too long, baked beans. Sugars were beginning to turn bitter. Lesson learned; don't try Boston baked beans with unsoaked beans any more.

cc and tomatoes.JPG

The rest of lunch was good, though. I forget how much I love this slaw. It's also the best slaw going for a barbecue sandwich, which is just not a proper barbecue sandwich without slaw on it.

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

Your jail slaw really is excellent.  I had never heard of turmeric in a slaw dressing before you mentioned it, but it's a very nice touch.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

7 hours ago, Smithy said:

Your jail slaw really is excellent.  I had never heard of turmeric in a slaw dressing before you mentioned it, but it's a very nice touch.

I'm glad you're enjoying it. I love the stuff.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

2 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

So, what did you think?  

Was afraid someone was going to ask me that LOL.

It was ok.....  I know that my rice to egg ratio was a little off.  Too much rice/too little egg but I got the point.  The best part was the yolk on top.  It needed something.....  I couldn't find my nori sheets and was uninspired to get a chair and dig around for it.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shelby said:

Saw this and couldn't get it off of my mind.

photo 1.jpg

Beat me to it. So you were underwhelmed? I think I would like it; bland is ok for breakfast, sometimes.

Don't ask. Eat it.

2 hours ago, kayb said:

Beat me to it. So you were underwhelmed? I think I would like it; bland is ok for breakfast, sometimes.

Underwhelmed is a good word to use.  I get that it could be a comfort food for some, though :)  

• Like 1

Smoked corned beef tongue that had been steamed into submission, Swiss cheese, pickled asparagus and onions. Not the easiest thing to eat, but, hell, that's what napkins are for and there's not much I would trade for it.

HC

IMG_0504.JPG

IMG_0508.JPG

• Like 9

image.jpeg

Fried rice a la Nielsen. Close to grocery shopping time so a good way to make use of this and that. 

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

Lunch today was a bit miserable. I was stuck in Guangzhou (Canton) railway station waiting for a train back to my home city after having (successfully) completed some business at the UK consulate.

Guangzhou South Station is huge. Bigger than most airports and it resembles an airport, right down to the overpriced concessions. The joys of a captive clientèle.

So my companion and I shared this "vegetable pizza". Actually, It was better than I expected though still fairly grim and hugely overpriced. But it kept us going till we got home.

pizza.jpg

• Like 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Lunch in George Town, Penang.

We're staying in a colonial era property in Little India, so of course Indian restaurants are plentiful.

Here is a special biryani in claypot, plus Manchurian chicken.

Fresh chapatis, eggplant pickle and cabbage salad, plus a few beers !

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

• Like 6