• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin test kitchen

Anna N

For you weinoo. Both sandwich loaves were done in the cuisi-combi using 20 min steam at 100F followed by the bread cycle 350/375F for 25-30 mins (foil covered top for final few minutes).

Awesome.  Imagine if that Combi could hold 2 loaves at a time!

Check this out, rotuts.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Never boring!  I am pouring over old zucchini threads here for some new ideas (I have a bazillion of them already--zukes, not ideas) and while I do that, I eagerly await new posts on this thread  :smile:

Grate zucchini on large hole grater.  Toss in a HOT skillet with some salt and butter--quickly, before the liquid starts to leak out--and stir in some room temperature sour cream off the heat.  Serve as is, or as a sauce for cheese soufflé.  Brilliant and quick.  

(Possibly a treatment of salting, rinsing and squeezing would make it last longer before it gets runny.) 

• Like 2

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

Thank you to all of you for your support!

Suspect that the walnut raisin bread is a failure. It feels more like a bowling ball than a loaf of bread. I know my yeast is good as it is brand-new. The dough passed the finger poke test to suggest that it was fully proofed. Yet from the beginning I had my doubts. It may turn out to be tolerable. One cannot expect a light, airy loaf with all that fruit in it I suppose. Will have to wait and see when it cools.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Anna

you know how fickle bread is with temperature, humidity, etc.  I laugh when folks says baking is a science vs cooking.  I can't tell you how many times at work my boss and I have turned to each other and said WTF when we followed a formula exactly and it didn't turn out exactly as it had the day before.

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Pharmacy.  They keep it behind the counter.  The 70% stuff is out on the shelves.  Apparently here they have a problem with people drinking it - though why the 70% is OK I'm not sure.

We used to have 100% in bio lab that was under lock and key.........until Christmas and the end of the year when the stuff we used  ...and was down to 99-94 % ...went into the punch so we could get rid of it.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

We used to have 100% in bio lab that was under lock and key.........until Christmas and the end of the year when the stuff we used  ...and was down to 99-94 % ...went into the punch so we could get rid of it.

This is isopropyl not ethanol.  When I was a lab tech in the military we used to order a bottle of the 95% ethanol every few months (used it in extractions don't you know) and store it away for Christmas to make our liqueurs.  

• Like 3

Not sure I understand why...wouldn't you have had 200º EtOH in your lab (absolute stuff), clear of MeOH?  Why would iPrOH be under lock and key, and why wouldn't the EtOH have been used in the punch rather than the iPrOH?  Isopropanol is relatively cheap...even the abs EtOH is cheap, so long as your lab and institution was properly licensed to use chemical reagents and I assume it was, and your place got the institutional discount...from Sigma or Aldrich or Fisher or VWR or whoever...  In my lab iPrOH was used as a cleaning agent, (especially useful for the NMR probe), for HPLC/MS-HPLC, general purpose solvent/cleaner, cooling baths (with dry ice) and so on, and would simply be bunged into the solvent cabinets...side-by-side with the abs. EtOH.  True, the lab was card-keyed - although that was more because of other reasons.

Edited by huiray (log)

Those smashed potatoes look amazing.

As for your two being boring... !!! ??? !!!  No the heck way.  It's like being on the perfect vacation myself, with the plus of seeing you two cook and enjoy yourselves.  Really magical. 

Really, I think people would pay to read this stuff.  Don't stop. 

• Like 3

Equal parts Canadian Whiskey, campari, ramazzotti and lemon.

I haven't read all the way to the end of the current comments so not sure if anyone else has said this, but if it's whiskey it's not Canadian (whisky).    :laugh:

Edited to add the smiley, to look less like an annoying dweeb. 

Edited by FauxPas (log)

When I was in college I used to enjoy lab ethanol.  Note, absolute ethanol doesn't work well for eggnog.  But I didn't make LSD or explosives like the other students did.  (I made explosives in high school.)

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Those smashed potatoes are my absolute favorite way to use what is marketed around here as "salt size" potatoes. We'll sometimes do the crisping on the grill. Have you ever tried that with the egg?

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

When I was in college I used to enjoy lab ethanol.  Note, absolute ethanol doesn't work well for eggnog.  But I didn't make LSD or explosives like the other students did.  (I made explosives in high school.)

My brother was an early starter (grade school) in making explosives - mom used to tell the story about taking him out to the cloverleaf on the highway and watching the explosion behind him as he was running away after setting the charge.  

• Like 1

Those smashed potatoes are my absolute favorite way to use what is marketed around here as "salt size" potatoes. We'll sometimes do the crisping on the grill. Have you ever tried that with the egg?

Don't think I ever tried that - my variation is duck fat!

My brother was an early starter (grade school) in making explosives - mom used to tell the story about taking him out to the cloverleaf on the highway and watching the explosion behind him as he was running away after setting the charge.  

Made a few explosions myself back then.  Gunpowder...ammonium tri-iodide..calcium carbide in a bottle.

Good times.