• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin test kitchen

Anna N

Excellent review, FP  thanks !

ive taken a 'screen shot' of the above and placed it ....  somewhere for future review

of course , i wont be able to find it !

:huh:

PS

would using the Broil-steam for salmon in the lowest rack help ? or steam bake in 'the middle' then a quick

blast of steam broil ?

Im a bit bereft here as i can not get really fine fresh salmon here.  even for sooooo many bucks !

Edited by rotuts (log)

would using the Broil-steam for salmon in the lowest rack help ? or steam bake in 'the middle' then a quick

blast of steam broil ?

Im a bit bereft here as i can not get really fine fresh salmon here.  even for sooooo many bucks !

Yes, I think you are quite right with your salmon suggestions and the type of things I will try in future! Or I might just use Steam only. Last time I used Steam/Bake and didn't bother with any broil. 

We are lucky - we live right by the ocean and we have a neighbour with a boat who likes to fish but he doesn't really like salmon so he gifts us some now and then.  :wub:

Anna, I hope you will try the beets again in the Cuisinart. I adore my little Cuisinart and have had so few problems with it, I'm sorry that you have not had better results. 

"""   we live right by the ocean and we have a neighbour with a boat who likes to fish but he doesn't really like salmon so he gifts us some now and then """

Im pleased.  very pleased

:raz:

• Like 1

We are lucky - we live right by the ocean and we have a neighbour with a boat who likes to fish but he doesn't really like salmon so he gifts us some now and then.  :wub:

My father-in-law has a neighbor (husband to the sister of my wife's lifelong friend) who loves to fish for tuna but doesn't eat it so the neighbor gives some of it to him. My wife and I go over and cook it for him. That's a win-win situation.

• Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Had a hankering for an Indian Taco for lunch - but island time being what it is - taco stand was closed.  So settled for a rather unphotogenic grilled chicken club sub from Andy's.  

IMG_1359.jpg

Tonight - Brothers Perryman.

IMG_1361.jpg

Oy vey. Now I have to confess that brioche scares the heck out of me! Nope never tried it. Wouldn't be surprised if Kerry has. She is at work right now but will check in I am sure.

If she has used the Thermomix for this, I hope she has some advice as I would like to use it for this. Meanwhile, I have gone ahead and made up a batch the regular way. Hope it works.

"""    Indian Taco """

I sure hope they might re-open soon while you are near by ....

love to see a pic and a deconstruction ...

Best I can do is this for now.

This is the exact same bread as the two loaves made in the cuisi oven yesterday (except for the sesame seeds). This was made conventionally with a room tepmperature rise and a dry 375F oven. Will see tomorrow how the crumb compares.

image.jpg

Dinner tonight was perfect for November. And not too bad for a cold July day!

image.jpg

Pork hock and Bavarian-style sauerkraut.

Dessert was more of Kerry's delicious strawberry and rhubarb galette with whipped cream.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

More Indian Taco pictures here.

I'd completely forgotten about those, haven't had one in years. I think I'll remedy that situation one say very soon.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

DSCN3012.jpg

For work today I needed something for rounds as well as to take to Wiki - so a big batch of sour cream cookies (hermit variation) to be split between both places.

• Like 2

Tomorrow is similar to today - I need something to take for the clinic in the morning and the nursing home in the afternoon - so made a batch of my mother's rhubarb and date muffins/cake - put half in muffin tins, half in a 9 by 9 cake tin and Bob's your uncle.

Of course after I'd decided to make this I realized that I had no dates - so ran out to get some.  It was only 8 pm but apparently I hadn't heard the sidewalk rolling happen!  So these are actually rhubarb and fig.  

IMG_1362.jpg

IMG_1363.jpg

• Like 2

Manitoulin machaca?  :smile:

Manitoulin machaca?  :smile:

Definitely has potential. Thank you.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Good morning.

image.jpg

Rather predictable breakfast of poached eggs on toast. Feeling unusually unambitious today. No evening meal to plan as we will have leftovers and gain some fridge room, think I will pickle the beets from yesterday. And now that I have both vital wheat gluten and ascorbic acid may attempt Andrea Nguyen's Banh mi baguettes. (Not long after my son arrived with the vital wheat gluten, we found some hidden among our stash up here!). Typical.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

I was just gathering ingredients for the banh mi rolls when the skies opened up. image.jpg

The view from the kitchen

image.jpg

And the one from the balcony.

It is a cold, gray, rainy July 15! A day when one must fight off the black dog with everything one has. So Vietnamese rolls it is.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Cold and rainy in Tronno, too.  The Mantoulin Manchaca looks good, but right now I'd go for some of those baked goods y'all keep churning out, with a big pot of hot tea, a blankie, the couch, and a pile of murder mysteries!  And cookbooks, of course. 

Yeah, the Polar Vortex literally sat over the western pointy end of Lake Superior yesterday, so it's no surprise you're getting it today. Cheer up: by tomorrow you'll be having beautiful fall weather!

I love what the two of you do with eggs and leftovers. I'd love to be joining you for breakfast (or lunch or dinner) and taking a few tips from you on photography as well as cooking or baking.

When you get around to the bahn mi baguettes, I'd love some discussion about how the ingredients work together. I haven't been back to the bahn mi topic to see what I can learn about dough conditioners, but they seem to be very important. Is ascorbic acid used as a dough conditioner?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Cold and rainy in Tronno, too.  The Mantoulin Manchaca looks good, but right now I'd go for some of those baked goods y'all keep churning out, with a big pot of hot tea, a blankie, the couch, and a pile of murder mysteries!  And cookbooks, of course.

It is hard to stay motivated when mother nature pull such a dirty trick on you! Thank goodness bread-

like things ask for a very hot oven.

My 2004 eG Blog

So I decided to attempt the banh mi buns. Here's the mise (forgot to include shortening and water). Two bags of flour only because one is pretty much empty.

image.jpg

The oven-ready buns

image.jpg

And the baked buns

image.jpg

Had to go on a hunt for the "drug" scale to weigh out 500mg of ascorbic acid!

image.jpg

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog