• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Manitoulin test kitchen

Anna N

nice

lots of 'fine measurements and weights needed ' in your area ?

:huh:

soooo How were those "buns?"

Yeah, yeah. Can happen. Buns will be tested shortly and reported upon.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I seem to be a bit behind on posting. First, here are the Danish pickled beets from yesterday.

image.jpg

Very simple 3 ingredient brine of sugar, white vinegar and cloves. They are sliced quite thinly as they will be mostly used as sandwich toppers.

Lunch yesterday:

image.jpg

Braunschweiger topped with not-quite-pickled beets and a side of sauerkraut.

Then dinner

image.jpg

Roast beef and Danish cucumbers on a banh mi roll. (Note to rotuts: having little experience of the "real" thing I am hard-pressed to pass judgement. Kerry remarked that they lacked the airiness she recalled and the crust was not as shatteringly crisp as it should be. That could and should have been remedied by re-heating them but life got in the way.). They were certainly not difficult to make but I have no idea how to improve the airiness.

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

The banh my I recall eating in Hanoi were almost all crust, with very little crumb inside. I figured they were just cheap to make that way. I found them painful to eat, as the crust would shatter and do a number on your palate. The key was to make sure you had them well- dipped in curry, or had enough sauce and pickles on the sandwich to soften it up somewhat.

Was it this one?  (I don't see ascorbic acid nor "vital wheat gluten" used in it, though)

http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2007/05/vietnamese_bagu.html

The recipe I used was from Andrea Nguyen's latest book and it varies considerably from the one on her website.

My 2004 eG Blog

The banh my I recall eating in Hanoi were almost all crust, with very little crumb inside. I figured they were just cheap to make that way. I found them painful to eat, as the crust would shatter and do a number on your palate. The key was to make sure you had them well- dipped in curry, or had enough sauce and pickles on the sandwich to soften it up somewhat.

I think that's very close to other descriptions I have read.

My 2004 eG Blog

DSCN3038.jpg

Brownies to take for the ER today.  Working on a couple of loaves of Forkish like walnut and current bread.  Hope my time in the ER doesn't interfere with it.  

• Like 2

Good morning. Moving very slowly today. Breakfast was an inside out mushroom omelette:

image.jpg

So far I find myself without a single plan for the day! A sorry state of affairs. I will look over my ambitious list of things to do in Manitoulin and see if I can remedy the situation.

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna, have you gotten any inspiration yet?

Shamefully, except for lunch, no!

And lunch was nothing more than fancied up instant noodles.

image.jpg

Romaine, carrots, leftover beef, and an egg. I drizzled on some poison and some sesame oil.

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

Tomorrow is similar to today - I need something to take for the clinic in the morning and the nursing home in the afternoon - so made a batch of my mother's rhubarb and date muffins/cake - put half in muffin tins, half in a 9 by 9 cake tin and Bob's your uncle.

Of course after I'd decided to make this I realized that I had no dates - so ran out to get some.  It was only 8 pm but apparently I hadn't heard the sidewalk rolling happen!  So these are actually rhubarb and fig.  

attachicon.gifIMG_1362.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_1363.jpg

I think rhubarb-fig is a fantastic combination!

Anna, those noodles sound realllllly good right now.  I'm hungry for those....well minus the poison  :wink:   :biggrin:

Yes I had an uninspiring day but I was never suicidal! That is what happens when you dictate your posts and do not check the result.

I did manage to rouse myself long enough to make dinner. I am certain one of us has posted about this before. We had the chicken with caramelized shallots as adapted by David Leibovitz.

Very few ingredients for a lot of flavour:

image.jpg

Shallots, vinegar, soy sauce, salt, pepper and chicken.

image.jpg

Served with some tiny potatoes that I boiled, peeled and crisped in duck fat.

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

Woke to find myself the sole occupant of the townhouse so must assume that Kerry spent much of the night at the hospital. Made myself breakfast of appenzeller cheese on Kerry's walnut and currant bread.

image.jpg

Will have to play this day by ear. Kerry may need to sleep for part of it.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Appenzeller?? Where did you find it? Was it good and funky? (We've imported it from Ottawa, on occasion, but don't see it around here.)

The Appenzeller came up here with us. It was purchased from our favourite cheese shop, Mickey McGuire's in Dundas, Ont., very much worth a visit if you are in our area.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Not much cooking today but we enjoyed a couple of mini adventures. First we headed into Little Current to collect what we thought was Rooster Brand sriracha sauce that the proprietor of The Island Jug health food store had brought back for us from Sudbury. Note to connoisseurs of sriracha--just because the lid is green doesn't make it Rooster Brand! We then wandered through a coyple of el cheapo stores in Little Current before deiding on lunch. i asked for poutine thinking we might find some in Mindemoya. However, Kerry quickly turned the van around and said we could get a quick lunch right in Little Current. Forty-five long minutes later she returned to the van with:

image.jpg

It was very good poutine but 45 minutes? Sheesh

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

Eventually we headed off to Mindemoya for a wander through the hardware store/outfitters and the only "real" grocery store on the Island. I know Kerry will post photos later.

As we were heading home Kerry spotted the walnut trees outside the Med. Student house and collected enough walnuts to make a batch of vin de noix which she had promised to her dentist.

image.jpg

It will be almost ready when she is due to return to the Island in October.

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_1367.jpg

Seen at Buddy's Liquidation in Little Current.

IMG_1369.jpg

Live Greens, lamb shanks that are good for another day and bananas that are almost ready to eat (IMHO).

IMG_1371.jpg

Shishito peppers - rarely seen even in southern Ontario!

IMG_1372.jpg

Some candied ginger and salmon - Anna has a hankering for croquettes.

IMG_1373.jpg

A few odds and ends from our favourite hardware store - Anna wants me to use the trowel as a flour scoop.

IMG_1375.jpg

A few of the walnuts and the not Rooster brand siracha - convinced her to use the rest in her restaurant.

• Like 4