• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2014 (Part 1)

liuzhou

Ever have one of those weird nights where leftovers didn’t get used as quickly as you anticipated and what you planned to cook can’t be refrozen and needs to be cooked? That was me tonight. So we ended up having basically TWO meals to choose from tonight. I used the last of the pot roast leftovers to make soup:

med_gallery_3331_114_164930.jpg

Then with the thawed cube steak, I did smothered cube steak, rice and green beans:

med_gallery_3331_114_123234.jpg

Very similar meals and LOTS of carbs :rolleyes: .

• Like 7

Yesterday's Dinner:

photo (4).JPG

Well, my first experiment with Sous Vide cooking was a complete success!

]I did this pork tenderloin Cavender's Greek Seasoning and olive oil, cooking it for about 4 hours at 145˚ F using a Polyscience Immersion Circulator. Took about 4 hours.

Seared it in a hot pan with a little oil and butter. Tender and juicy!

Edited by Bill Rothe (log)
  • Like 4

Last night, on the way home, after changing my flat tire, I stopped in Chinatown and picked up two fish. Miss K got a salmon steak, while I bought a whole snapper for Miss A and I... Miss A was rather bummed that I got a snapper as she was not in the mood for a simple roasted fish. I said, well then, search the internet and show me a recipe, i will make that.

We landed on, fried snapper with a Thai Green Sauce. I can't really verify it's authenticity but, it was really damn good.. Perfectly fried fish, topped with an herb sauce, that is hot, sour, spicy and sweet. Into a blender went; 6 cloves of garlic, a half a cup of basil and cilantro, 3 tablespoons of fish sauce and brown sugar, a jalapeño and shot of habanero sauce, the juice from a lime and a lemon, three large stalks of scallions, a quarter cup of coconut oil and a couple of tablespoons of water.. I believe that is all everything..

There is something really great about living 20 yards away from a grocery store.

12805199325_cf07b37207_z.jpg

There was also coconut rice that included coconut water from the coconut, some coconut milk from a can and some shredded coconut from the coconut.

Fried the fish topped with the green sauce and served with the rice.. Nothing very formal, we ate off the same plate.

Floured and fried

12805195845_c8cbb013f2_z.jpg

Miss K likes her salmon steak deboned and tied. I served with a lemon butter sauce over coconut rice. 3/4 pound for perspective.

12805194175_37cdeaa835_z.jpg

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 8

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

It's a good sauce, it's easy. Here is a link to the recipe from About.com

http://thaifood.about.com/od/thaiseafoodrecipes/r/drunkenfish.htm

This recipe for fried fish has quite a descriptive name: it's called "Drunken Fish" because it is usually served in Thai bars - like pub food in the West. But don't even think it tastes anything like our typical "pub grub"
  • Like 1

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Speckled butter beans seasoned with rosemary,garlic and ham steak. The ham steak was from the pig that I butchered a few weeks ago and prepped in a simple overnight brine. Added some leftover mashed potatoes to thicken the soup and served with buttermilk cornbread.

P1020594(1).JPG

Yesterday we had a lamb po-boy on Reisings french bread from New Orleans. The lamb was leftovers prepared from a leg of lamb using the recipe from Zahav in Philadelphia. It may not be the best photo but that lamb is fantastic.

P1020586(1).JPG

• Like 9

Lots of great looking comfort food today, noodles, etouffee, shanks, pork belly, pork tenderloin, fishes...

I coped with a blizzard outside by separating a smoked picnic shoulder into soup bone, roast and fat cap.

The fat cap was just right as a comforting dinner

.IMG_8582.JPG

• Like 8

Bill – welcome! Gorgeous tenderloin!

Ann – thank you! Wonderful looking pork belly.

Steve – a lamb po-boy sounds so delicious!

One of my sisters came down for a couple of days and she and my mother came over for dinner tonight. Bibb lettuce salad with creamy chive dressing:

med_gallery_3331_114_173427.jpg

Spaghetti Bolognese:

med_gallery_3331_114_127242.jpg

And a version of Ann T’s Italian Bread w/ Gorgonzola:

med_gallery_3331_114_35295.jpg

Except with mozzarella since my sister doesn’t eat Gorgonzola. Really good variation!

• Like 7

So many wonderful meals, but it is Franci's oysters that are calling out to me.

Last night's dinner.

Homemade%20Tacos%20February%2024th%2C%20

Tacos with homemade corn tortillas.

Ann_T, I'm a little curious about your background in this photo. There is a clear discontinuity in the "image" of what would otherwise be a table with stuff on it in the background, and it is not obvious that it is an angled mirror or something like that (and the reflection/placement would be 'wrong' relative to the plate of tacos) Was it wallpaper or a collage of some sort? What is this background?

Homemade Tacos February 24th, 2014-L-a.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 1

Dinner for vegetarian daughter tonight.

Sous vide halloumi with mint, chill, and lemon from Modernist Vegetarian Cooking iBook by Eddie Shepherd.

haloumi (3).jpg

hmm. New software, small photo. May need to figure this out tomorrow.

Edited by nickrey (log)
  • Like 3

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

image.jpg

Stir-fried beef with broccoli

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

We were up state this weekend and my mother and law happened to have purchased a new pasta maker.. Not wanting to leave the house, i rummaged through the downstairs freezer and came up with a pasta filling.. ground veal, chicken livers, garlic, onion, tomato paste and some muscadet that was opened from however long ago

12884496523_edfec03043_z.jpg

Agnolotti

12884678534_f11aec633d_z.jpg

Brought up the ingredients for a pie that I wanted to serve for lunch today. 

Apple caramel with a vanilla salt ice cream 

12884726624_c0a8bf56ff_z.jpg

For breakfast smoked salmon and onion omelette today.  Bagels and pickled herring in cream sauce yesterday..  Dinner friday was arroz con pollo from the freezer.. Found some duck sausage and a few chicken thighs..  

• Like 5

Dinner for vegetarian daughter tonight.

Sous vide halloumi with mint, chill, and lemon from Modernist Vegetarian Cooking iBook by Eddie Shepherd.

attachicon.gifhaloumi (3).jpg

hmm. New software, small photo. May need to figure this out tomorrow.

How do you make sous vide Halloumi?  I normally just cut in planks and sear with a little bit of wondra flour.  I can imagine that sous vide should work great on thicker cuts.