• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thanksgiving 2013 Menus

FeChef

Tentative menu......

Cup of creamed sun-dried tomato and basil soup.

Hearts of romaine Caesar salad.

Scratch-cured and hickory smoked Cottage ham with bourbon glaze.

Charcoal-grilled, dry-brined and spatchcocked broad-breasted bronze turkey. (Unbasted! :smile:)

Cast iron skillet baked onion bagel, hickory nut and apple dressing.

Savory oyster bread pudding.

Stuffed baked sweet potatoes topped with maple hickory nut crumble.

Creamed Monnopa spinach.

Blue cheese broccoli casserole.

Cranberry-Chipotle sauce.

Butter and egg cloverleaf rolls.

Pumpkin cheesecake with gingersnap crust...topped with a dollop of bourbon whipped cream.

Finger Lakes wine.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

GASP! I forgot mashed taters and turkey jus gras!!!!!!!!

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Blue cheese broccoli casserole.

That caught my eye, Details?

I don't have a formal recipe.

I just wing-it....

I make a fairly simple blue cheese Mornay sauce which I combine with lightly blanched broccoli florets.

I top the mixture with panko bread crumbs that are combined with melted butter.

I bake it until the broccoli is fairly tender and the bread crumbs are nicely browned.

Cast iron skillet baked onion bagel, hickory nut and apple dressing.

Do tell! Very interested in bagel dressing....

Again I just wing-it.......

I use good New York style onion bagels and a bit of French bread to lighten it up a bit........roughly 3 parts bagels to 1 part French bread.

I slice the bagels in half and slice the French bread into slices that are about 3/4 on an inch thick.....I then toast it all lightly.

I cut the bagels and French bread into cubes then I take about 1/3 of the bagel cubes and briefly pulse them in the food processor...this will help bring it all together well.

I briefly sweat some onion, celery and the apple.....combine them with the bagel and French bread along with melted butter, hickory nuts, turkey stock and seasonings.

I bake it in a cast iron skillet until nicely browned and a bit crisp on top and along the edges.

~Martin

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)
  • Like 1

Things seem to be shaping up as follows:

Dry Brined Big Green Egg Turkey roasted on the turkey cannon

3:1 Mashed Potatoes (3 lbs of potatoes per pound of butter)

Dried cherries, roasted root vegetables, sweetbreads (if I can get my hands on some) and rye stuffing

Green Bean casserole with Morel cream sauce

I'm doing dinner for four - maybe 8, if I can convince my friend and her family to come. And we eat late - usually around 4pm.

Snacks:

Cheese Board - aged cheddar, St. Andre?, maybe a bleu or goat cheese, tomato jam, salami

Chex Mix - my mom always makes a big batch to munch on

Dinner:

Dry-Brined, Roasted Turkey

Sauteed Corn with Mint

Roasted Green Vegetable - depends on what looks good, maybe broccoli, brussels sprouts or green beans...

Mashed Yukon Gold Potatoes with lots of butter

Chunky Cranberry Sauce with Orange Zest - I made a great cranberry sauce a few years ago and can't for the life of me remember where I got the recipe. It was wonderful on Greek yogurt as well.

Dressing - don't have a traditional recipe. In the past we've served boxed stuffing, but I definitely don't want to do that. Will be looking around for good suggestions. Not cornbread - it comes out too soft, IMO.

Gravy - Mom's department

Apple Pie for dessert, with whipped cream

Probably dinner for 8 at my house. We eat late afternoon/early evening, also.

Snacks will be minimal, some cheese/crackers, grapes, spinach dip (bro-in-law's fav) with crudité, maybe roasted chestnuts if they look OK (my family tradition).

Dinner...actually considering roasting a couple of bone in turkey breasts since nobody in our family really likes the dark meat (heresy, I know). Might buy some wings to roast for the gravy-making.

Stuffing with mushrooms. Twice-baked potatoes (Mom's contribution). Roasted broccoli with lemon/breadcrumbs/parm. Some other veg (maybe butternut squash). Cranberry sauce from can (my husband insists) plus some made from fresh berries (something with orange). Gravy.

Dessert will be contributed by my sister and step-daughter. Plus ice cream, since we usually wind up with an apple pie.

• Like 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

We'll be going to Toots' daughter's home and having the holiday dinner with her family. Usually I am asked to bring something, and this year will probably be no different. Right now I'm planning on Yams with Lavender Butter and Toasted, Candied Pecans and a Cranberry Merlot Sauce.

• Like 1

... Shel

Whatever I will be having, there will be NO TURKEY. I have not cooked any turkey(s) - by choice - for any Thanksgiving. Any turkey I have had had been at other people's places or at work (cafeteria) in years past when the only choice on "Thanksgiving Day" (usually the week before) was turkey - and when I didn't feel like going outside the company to avoid the turkey.

Edited by huiray (log)

I am going to NYC and we have decided to go out to dinner--but we are people who need turkey sandwiches, so I will still cook at least a fresh turkey breast, make some potato filling (usually, some leftovers go on the sandwiches), make some thousand island dressing, and will bring some jars of apricot chutney and cranberry chutney on the plane. BTW, the bread of choice is NY rye. We buy that, and the lettuce.

• 2 weeks later...

Dressing - don't have a traditional recipe. In the past we've served boxed stuffing, but I definitely don't want to do that. Will be looking around for good suggestions. Not cornbread - it comes out too soft, IMO.

My mom and now I have always used the basic Betty Crocker bread stuffing: http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/classic-bread-stuffing/129aa22f-2203-483e-a7a9-dde5b5c6b715

It's the same one that's in the 1950 BC cookbook and it's easy and good. I add raisins soaked in sherry and pecans lightly toasted in butter. I don't stuff the turkey but bake the dressing in a buttered casserole, baste it with turkey broth and plenty of fatty jus coming off the turkey. You can control how moist or crispy you want the dressing by adding more jus, keeping the lid off, etc.

It's very basic and my favorite of any stuffing/dressing I've ever had. Yum.

• 2 weeks later...

My son and his fiancee both work on Thursday so I am doing Tday dinner tomorrow and today I'm baking stuff so the oven will be clear for the turkey tomorrow. I just got a new mixer yesterday so I gave it it's first use with some challah bread.

The dough in the mixer]

DSCN0997_zpse7ecbbab.jpg

getting ready for the first rise

DSCN1000_zps27b15838.jpg

and after

DSCN1002_zpsb02f9eb4.jpg

braiding

DSCN1007_zps6835696e.jpg

DSCN1008_zps17f15216.jpg

DSCN1010_zps589381c5.jpg

and done

DSCN1011_zps21d67549.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 4

Challah for dressing is a great idea but our dressing was cornbread. I made some really good dressing one year with annadama bread. We ate one loaf for our dinner tonight. The other loaf is going to my sister's tomorrow for Thanksgiving at her house.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)

...and here I am, with the sourdough bread batter barely started. Y'all are waaaay ahead of me. The bread looks wonderful, Norm! Great way to break in the new mixer! :smile:

• Like 2

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Thanksgiving Bread - rye and wheat flours, rye starter, pecans, cranberries, bourbon and orange juice.

I'm in trouble with my American customers if the goods are not produced.

pile 0005 small.jpg

• Like 3

Mick Hartley

The PArtisan Baker

bethesdabakers

"I can give you more pep than that store bought yeast" - Evolution Mama (don't you make a monkey out of me)

Invited a few friends for TG. No one liked turkey. So I didn't make turkey.

One vegetarian and one gluten intolerant friend were very appreciative that I made food that they could enjoy and everyone else could enjoy, and they did specifically asked me not to make anything special just for them. The only food that was gluten was the Challah bread because the grains allowed for challah are not gluten free.

The star of the show was the squab dish. Wild rice with chestnut and black garlic was superb.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

dcarch

Tempura, (gluten-free)

tempura_zpse39f7807.jpg

Deep fried tofu, mushroom sauce

friedtofu_zps603bc3cd.jpg

friedtofu2_zpse0363b1b.jpg

Challah (6 braided strands)

chalahmaking8_zpseab197b3.jpg

chalahmaking_zps9de13f2e.jpg

Sous vided and deep fried squabs with wild rice chestnut stuffing (gluten-free!), fairytale eggplants and braised carats

squab_zps3542d2fc.jpg

squab2_zps6700b720.jpg

Sous vide London Broil steak, on Violetto d' Albenga asparagus

PurpleasparagusLondonbroil2_zpsdc276805.

PurpleasparagusLondonbroil_zpsb71c8dc0.j

• Like 9