• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

McDonald's 2013–

Toliver

McD's is revamping their menu:

"McDonald's dropping Fruit & Walnut Salad, Chicken Selects in U.S."

Will anyone miss those two items?

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

A potato party.

It is in McD's and in South Korea. astounding, what a sport:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/shortcuts/2013/mar/04/potato-parties-worst-kids-food-fad

Holy Crap! That's a lot of french fries.

The most horrific thing? They don't have forks or ketchup. :wink::biggrin:

Tim Oliver

"McDonald’s to give the McMuffin a makeover — with egg whites"

McDonald’s will be rolling out their Egg White Delight, a yolk-free version of their Egg McMuffin breakfast sandwich, in locations nationwide starting April 22...

Other new menu items will be arriving soon.

The company will also be introducing a few additional menu items within the next few months: Premium McWraps in three varieties — chicken and bacon, chicken and ranch, and sweet chile chicken — will be available nationally March 18, and McCafé blueberry pomegranate smoothies will hit menus May 15.

Tim Oliver

Nor is it the fat or the sodium per se. (And egg yolks are fine too) Only if you have too much of them is there a concern in a general sense. All things in moderation, no?

Hmm, time for a couple of Filet-O-Fish with fries...(and Wendy's fish sandwich too, before Lent is over...)

Edited by huiray (log)

The company will also be introducing a few additional menu items within the next few months: Premium McWraps in three varieties — chicken and bacon, chicken and ranch, and sweet chile chicken — will be available nationally March 18, and McCafé blueberry pomegranate smoothies will hit menus May 15.

They've been testing the blueberry pomegranate smoothies in my area, and I can attest that they are quite delicious.

Edited by crinoidgirl (log)

V

They've been testing the blueberry pomegranate smoothies in my area, and I can attest that they are quite delicious.

Thanks for the mini-review. I liked their pineapple mango smoothie though it was a little on the sweet side and expensive. Blueberry Pomegranate sounds like it would have some tartness to it. I look forward to trying it.

Tim Oliver

Thanks for the mini-review. I liked their pineapple mango smoothie though it was a little on the sweet side and expensive. Blueberry Pomegranate sounds like it would have some tartness to it. I look forward to trying it.

Yeah, I should have mentioned the tartness. It's not overpowering, but refreshing.

V

tried the Fish bites:

+ : Hot, crispy, not oily not salty. no 'old fish' flavor

- : no flavor to the Pollock of any kind tartar sauce sweet, not tart.

over all : C - on driving home: nice non greasy feeling. changed to a C

if you are a ketchup sort of person these would be a decent vehicle for that.

I hadn't eaten at Mc Ds for at least the last decade or so but on a recent road trip the driver wanted to stop at Mc Ds. With the discussion of the soon to be eliminated Angus burger and the new McFish bites discussed on EG I decided to take the plunge on both. An Angus burger and a McFish sampler made it's way onto my lap. The Angus burger was a big let down. Over cooked hockey puck. Blehhh!

The McFish bites were okay. I would never go out of my way for them and may never eat them again since I hope it's another decade or more before I walk in or drive through another Mc Ds

I was thinking that one way to work with the McFish bites would be to use them to make a quick and dirty Po-boy. If dressed well it could work

Premium grilled chicken wrap, with bacon, lettuce and tomato, and a dab of ranch dressing. Decent but blah tortilla, the chicken is fairly juicy, the bacon crisp. Tomatos are usual mush, but overall it 's not a bad lunch...

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

• 1 month later...

McDonald's says buh-bye to the Angus Burgers:

"McDonald's Talks Quarter Pounders, Angus and Bacon"

McDonald's has removed its Angus Third Pounders...new Quarter Pounder burgers will fill the void.

With MickeyD's heavily promoting their Value Menu, the Angus burgers didn't stand a chance.

Plus, they have Burger King trying to steal their thunder (click here).

Tim Oliver

Out here in China they were promoting this:

mcdonalds-china-double-beef-sausage-burger.jpg

Double beef and German sausage burger with mustard.

A friend went by and ordered one. He sent me this picture of what was actually served - I post it here with his permission.

McDonalds-German-Sausage.jpg

I did warn him!

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Couldn't believe it, but the first "meal" we had in Beijing upon arrival was McD's! :blush: THat's only because we were tired out with the flight from Penang, Malaysia; it was very late in the evening and no street food close to the hotel, but McD was across the street.

We had the chicken burger, and it was surprisingly fresh and tasty. Was it because we were tired and hungry? Don't know, but the bun was a little sweet, and the coating on the chicken was still crispy, AND spicy.

The patrons were a strange lot - including us! One group of college-age young folks were playing cards, one couple asleep sprawled across the table, and a few couples obviously just coming in from a dressy party. Ice cream cones were 4 yuen each but I can't remember how much for the burgers.

I was glad they had a picture menu as I can't speak Mandarin!

Can't believe that's ONE picture I didn't take!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

My local McD's have debuted the blueberry pomegranate smoothies. They're having a limited time promotion of a small blueberry pomegranate smoothie for a buck.

The "Potato Party" mentioned in this post (click) has inspired a new Japanese McD's menu item: "The Mega Potato"

"...a container of fries double the size of an order of large fries that goes for roughly $5. At 350 grams, it's more than three-quarters of a pound of fries poured into a Golden Arches-stamped cardboard trough that McDonald's has advertised as 'perfect for sharing.' "

:blink:

Tim Oliver

I tried the small blueberry pomegranate. You were right....the tartness wasn't overpowering and it wasn't overly sweet. It was refreshing.

The only issue I have with the smoothie is that if you put a gun to my head, I wouldn't be able to tell you what kind of berries were in the smoothie. It didn't really taste of blueberries or pomegranate. In fact, when I first tasted the smoothie, I swore there were seeds as if it had raspberries in it. :wacko:

edited to reduce repetitive redundancy

Edited by Toliver (log)

Tim Oliver

Toliver, I believe that blueberries have small seeds, and pomegranates have seeds, too. Just be careful they don't get under your plate; those little suckers HURT! ;)

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

• 2 weeks later...

I tried one of the new "Quarter Pounders". Of the three versions offered I selected the bacon cheddar burger. I about choked on it it was so dry. :angry:

Somehow the original Quarter Pounder, stripped down as it is, remains edible...but add a layer of bacon and more cheese and a fancy schmancy bun and you have to make sure you have a drink on hand to wash the burger down your throat. What a disappointment. I suppose a solution would be to ask for extra condiments on it.

Has anyone else tried any of the new Quarter Pounders?

Tim Oliver

No, I haven't - I was turned off by even the "normal" quarter pounder (at least as offered by the franchises in my area) by how comparatively dry and sad-looking it had become, the last time I tried it, relative to what it was before. The Big Macs I thought were better even if they have also declined in quality. The F-o-F I still have a soft spot for and would be what I tend to go for when I drop by a McD.

• 2 weeks later...

McD's is having a short-lived BOGO (buy one get one free) special for the new Quarter Pounders that ends tomorrow. A coworker and I bought two and split them so we could try the different flavors.

The Bacon Ranch Habañero was very good though I couldn't discern any ranch (dressing) flavoring at all. I normally can't stand habañero but the chile added quite a nice spicey kick to the burger. I would order it again.

My coworker ordered the Bacon & Cheese which in an earlier post I didn't care for since the burger I had was so dry. It turns out the first one I tried wasn't made properly! Go figure. This time the Bacon & Cheese (notice it doens't say "cheddar"...just generic "cheese") had a boatload of condiments, so to speak. It had long slices of dill pickle and sliced tomatoes. It also tasted a lot better than the version I had posted about earlier and I would order it again.

Tim Oliver