• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Soup Topic (2013–)

FrogPrincesse

That looks delicious, David. Did you free-wheel that soup, or is it from a recipe?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

4 minutes ago, Smithy said:

That looks delicious, David. Did you free-wheel that soup, or is it from a recipe?

From a  old recipe Mother kept but I changed it up a bit:

1 lb. Italian sausage, I used hot

6 cups chopped Kale

2 cans cannellini beans, (recipe called for Great Northern but I like the smaller beans)

1 can 28oz. crushed tomatoes, I used Italian style

1 cup chopped carrots (recipe called for 4 cups)

1 chopped onion

3 garlic cloves minced, I think I used 6

Dried oregano, marjoram, basil and sage leaves

salt and pepper

5 cups chicken stock

parmesan cheese garnish

I browned the sausage then put it in the slow cooker with the other ingredients.  The recipe said 8-10 hours.  Geesh.  I let it go on low heat about 4 hours.  Better today after it sat in the fridge overnight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My fave Margaret Roach who writes an award winning garden blog did a great podcast talking about soup recently. I think the  best "take-away" I would encourage is that water v. broth is fine or even better.  https://awaytogarden.com/creative-vegetable-and-mushroom-soup-ideas-with-alexandra-stafford/

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 3

So far this fall, I've made Brunswick stew, vegetable beef soup, and tomato soup with the last of my ripe tomatoes. Pitched it; it was way too salty. What I get for using commercial stock instead of my own.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I have joined this Cookbook Club at our local small library, mostly because I owe so much to the librarians who constantly go out of their way to order in for me books they think I might like to read.   The object of the club is basically to increase library circulation and for me the problem is that they really want the members to make the dishes from recipes in the library books.  While they do have some excellent cookbooks, as you can imagine, a lot of the books are second rate (or worse) cookbooks.  We bring our creations to the library and sample each other's dishes and discuss the books involved.  To date, half of the dishes presented are not from local library cookbooks. 

This month is stews and soups.  So my next project is to find a recipe in a library cookbook and make it for the 24th.   Not really in the mood for a new soup recipe at this point  (being currently obsessed with making suitable Scalloped Potatoes for DH). :raz:  Still if this were the worst thing on my horizon, I'd be doing very well.  

• Like 6

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Made mulligan stew last night.  Ingredients used were ground beef, fresh thyme, carrots, celery, onions, dehydrated tomatoes, green beans, red pepper, corn, peas and mushrooms.  A bit of Worcestershire, fish sauce and harissa.  Water and veal demi-glace.  It was seriously good.  Corn muffins on the side.

Edited by ElsieD
It's demi-glace, not semi. (log)
  • Like 6

• 1 month later...

Vegetable broth going right now.  It's supposed to not even get to 30 degrees F here tomorrow and I picked up a butternut squash.  I'm going to zap it a bit in the microwave then peel and cut it into chunks.  I found a recipe for butternut and carrot soup and one for butternut and red lentil.  Not sure which one I feel like making.

Sunday I'm going to take care of those chicken carcasses I have.

• Like 3

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Still pretty cold here...5F this morning and about the same tonight.

Dinner will be some of my leftover Polish Cabbage Soup with a toasted ciabatta roll.  (the soup is wonderful, I'm happy to have quite a bit left.)

• Like 3

so...….had a yen for mushroom soup instead.  Simmering right now is the Les Halles mushroom soup made with half veg stock and half water. It smells so good.  Another 45 minutes then blend and I have some rye bread I made that should go well with it.  Maybe with the last of the onion jam?

• Like 5

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Made a Christmas lunch yesterday for some friends who included a vegan. The soup was a carrot and sweet potato soup with cumin, fennel and coriander. I cooked it in the instant pot, pureed it with the immersion blender, and stirred in some cooked sorghum. It was excellent. I'll be making it again.

Recipe here. As I find it easy to overdose on fennel, I cut that to a teaspoon. And I used both ground cumin and ground fennel, as I couldn't lay my hands on seeds.

Dessert was cranberry pecan sweet rolls, made with egg replacer and vegan butter. As there is only one egg and two tablespoons of butter in the dough, the subs didn't appear to harm it.

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

My sister made pumpkin soup for our "Chrismakkuh" get together last weekend, it was savory, not sweet. A bit of cumin and paprika, shallots. Pureed with coconut milk (it was originally a vegan recipe). I am going to make it and serve with plain greek yogurt swirled in.

• Like 3

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I've said before, I find it near impossible to take decent photos of most soups. As you can see.

soup.thumb.jpg.2fa1f7a315844591275af9faac78342a.jpg

Three Mushroom Soup.

Button mushrooms, shiitake and cordycep militaris in a home made chicken stock enhanced with onion and some dried mushroom powder. I didn't purée it as I prefer the lumps in this one and the cordyceps look nice as the come. Served with crusty baguette.

• Like 6

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Chicken noodle tomorrow with some good looking leeks and carrots and using up the chicken stock I made with some roasted chicken breasts.  Perfect for a rainy day I do believe.

• Like 4

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

4 hours ago, HungryChris said:

OK, OK, You Bet Your Life, if I ever make duck soup again, you folks will never hear about it!!!:S

HC

No, @HungryChris….

We tease you because we love you and your incredibly beautiful food...especially zucchini and salsa.😃

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

4 hours ago, HungryChris said:

OK, OK, You Bet Your Life, if I ever make duck soup again, you folks will never hear about it!!!:S

HC

At least nobody asked you "why a duck?"

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

7 hours ago, HungryChris said:

I should have added: "Say the secret word and win a hundred dollars."

HC

Is it scrapple?😁

Chicken noodle with the stock from the freezer....for tomorrow.

Edited by suzilightning (log)

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Pig's blood and Chinese chive soup with chayote shoots. The stock was enhanced with chilli, garlic and white pepper. More broth was added after the photo was taken. Otherwise you would just be looking at a pond of indeterminate muddiness.

soup1.thumb.jpg.a705f3806f5ffaa632c557fb9d69e2e7.jpg

• Like 6

7 hours ago, heidih said:

I am not familiar with blood cubes. They are in all my markets; just have not used. Do they break down or maintain their form?

They just require a few minutes cooking.  I gave these five minutes, and they are still cuboid. I've never tried cooking them longer, but would imagine they might break down if overcooked.

At this stage they are soft in the same way as tofu.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1