• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

Oh, my!  Everyone's weekend dinners look superb! And here I am with just plain old school. 

After these appetizers of old bay'ed cream cheese and smoked salmon on celery and the crunchiest rice crackers (I adore those crackers!), can you guess what we had for dinner tonight?

This sounds GOOOOOD! What proportion of old bay to cream cheese do you use? I'd like to do the same without overpowering the cc.

V

V

old bay'ed cream cheese and smoked salmon on celery and the crunchiest rice crackers

This sounds GOOOOOD! What proportion of old bay to cream cheese do you use? I'd like to do the same without overpowering the cc.

V

crinoidgirl, I know what you mean about overpowering tastes, what with the smoked salmon in there as well, but I really eyeballed it. I'd say to 8 oz of cream cheese I might've added 1/4 teaspoon of Old Bay seasoning ( maybe up to a scant 1/2 tsp). If you do make up a batch, please let us know how yours turned out.

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Tana, did my spaghetti make you wooooozy?

No, I was laughing at your cute bowl without enough tttt's in it. (Sorry my joke didn't come through.) Your photos are fine.

It's the extreme close-ups that make me a tiny bit dizzy. I'm not lying: I get a little vertigo (for lack of a better word).

The breasts were seared and served with dried chile-almond-raisin sauce. Served this one with homemade tortillas, and a simple cabbage salad.

gallery_5404_94_1102913807.jpg

Elie

Ahhh.....sounds quite interesting (fusion of Texas and Middle-Eastern)...will have to try it soon. What kind of chiles did you use?

this recipe is from James Peterson's Duck Cookbook. The name of the chile escapes me now, I believe it was the maroon colored dry poblano.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Made a batch of fassolada (Greek bean with vegetable soup) last night. Let it sit overnight with the ham bone in it.

Heated it up tonight and pureed some of the mixture to thicken it. Added some olive oil and herbs (savory and thyme) at the last minute.

Served it with a cabbage salad with parsley, green onions, greek olives, feta, lemon and olive oil.

Fried up some frozen chappatis and that was dinner. Kind of a mishmash, but I didn't want to run to the store late in the day.

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

Great looking dinners tonight.

I seared a couple little cod fillets, stuck some thinly sliced chorizo and (previously frozen) wax beans between them, and had a butter & sherry sauce over it. (From 'A Return to Cooking'.) Had a few glasses of Camraderie Cellars Cabernet Franc with it, followed by a Sauternes and a few ginger cookies.

My favorite DJ is on our listener-supported radio station, so it was a great match.

Chicken legs seared then baked with tomato, onion, garlic, MX oregano, cumin. Spanish rice with yellow squash and a green salad with avocado, topped with some of this summer's hot red salsa and drizzzle of sour cream and cilantro leaves.

Chocolate filled vanilla galletas for dessert with MX vanilla lattes.

It was pretty. Just got the camera back and have to charge it up.

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

You guys wear your wedding bands on the right also?  :smile:

In Holland, it used to be the rule that catholics wore their weddingband on the left, protestants on the right. These days, everybody does just what they like..

anyway.. dinner last night:

a pasta gratin with pumpkin, bacon, radicchio and lots of sage. Inspired by little ms foodies pasta with pumpkin further up this thread.. it was GREAT! The bitter radicchio was a great contrast to the sweetness of the pumpkin. Served with a salad dressed with pumkinseed-oil:

gallery_21505_358_1103041792.jpg

dessert was stoofperen, I don't know how to translate, it's a pear that you can't eat raw. I stewed them in red wine with staranise and cinnamon, served with storebought custard and homemade biscotti:

gallery_21505_358_1103041843.jpg

this recipe is from James Peterson's Duck Cookbook. The name of the chile escapes me now, I believe it was the maroon colored dry poblano.

Elie

Ancho???

Gesundheit! :laugh:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

dessert was stoofperen, I don't know how to translate, it's a pear that you can't eat raw. I stewed them in red wine with staranise and cinnamon, served with storebought custard and homemade biscotti:

gallery_21505_358_1103041843.jpg

A stoofperen is a cooking pear or stewing pear, but I am not sure what type of pear it is in English.

Edited by Swisskaese (log)

since lunch was a retirement luncheon for john's departmental secretary(feh - vile banquet food) and then i prepped his contribution to the department's christmas party(sweet and sour meatballs) dinner was easy and quick - red lentil soup with black olive caviar, sauteed bok choy with garlic and whole wheat rolls with asiago cheese spread. beverage was a mix of french lemonade and brut sparkling wine for john - iced tea for me...

the next two days are leftovers - soup, mac and cheese and ziti with meatballs and turkey sausage. the next day i will probably cook is friday - it depends on how i feel after i hear about my 18 year old cat's prognosis from aspiration and biopsy... i bet it will be catch as catch can for john :sad:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

:sad: I was cooking for ingrates last night. My family was rude and thoughtless and treated me like the help...it was a bit disheartening. I almost stabbed my evil twin sister with my 8 inch blade regarding a comment along these lines " ooh your tarte would be perfect if it weren't missing that apple in the center"

"apple in the center?" I say. thinking it was perfecta a moment ago...

she smiles with apple in her mouth. i smile with knife in hand...ROAr!!!!!

yet dinner was excellent. Latkes to start with sour cream, caviar, and homemade applesauce. Rack of lamb with a yummy panko mustard garlic crust, crisp green beans with sea salt and olive oil, and new potato gratan. I also made a tarte tatain (the one in question). and it was really good! I served it with vanilla ice cream (haagen daaz) and a very long face. :wink: One of the ingrates may have taken a picture..I'll add that later.

edited to include rack...

gallery_24462_1_1103125590.jpg

Edited by Luckylies (log)

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

:sad: I was cooking for ingrates last night. My family was rude and thoughtless and treated me like the help...it was a bit disheartening. I almost stabbed my evil twin sister with my 8 inch blade regarding a comment along these lines " ooh your tarte would be perfect if it weren't missing that apple in the center"

"apple in the center?" I say. thinking it was perfecta a moment ago...

she smiles with apple in her mouth. i smile with knife in hand...ROAr!!!!!

yet dinner was excellent. Latkes to start with sour cream, caviar, and homemade applesauce. Rack of lamb with a yummy panko mustard garlic crust, crisp green beans with sea salt and olive oil, and new potato gratan. I also made a tarte tatain (the one in question). and it was really good! I served it with vanilla ice cream (haagen daaz) and a very long face. :wink:  One of the ingrates may have taken a picture..I'll add that later.

Luckylies,

Dinner sounds devine and if I were lucky enough to be invited to such a dinner, I would have been much more grateful :biggrin:

Susan, Yetty, Judith, Percy (hope I got everyone): thanks for such a warm welcome! Yes, my avatar is a photo of my little gastronaut in training... he's such a great kid... most of the time. :wink: And good heavens. Wendy and Percy, your photos make me want to eat dinner all over again.

Two evenings ago, I organized a potluck Christmas party for five couples and our kids. Dessert was my department, so I packed sugar cookies and chocolates in gift bags for the kids and baked two apple apricot crumbles for the moms and dads. Didn't get a photo of the plated product with vanilla ice cream, but I'll be sure to post a photo when I dig into the leftovers.

gallery_18820_1_1103089121.jpg

And I figured that tonight would be a good evening to have soup since my son and I are currently nursing colds. Beef udon soup with cabbage, broccoli stems, bean sprouts and onions.

gallery_18820_1_1103089168.jpg

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I roasted a chicken today. Before roasting, I mixed up a good amount of olive oil, 1/2 a chopped red onion, a few shallots, Maille's dijon, tarragon and basil and stuffed it under the skin. Cracked a good amount of salt and pepper over the skin. Started off the chicken at 450 degrees (finished at 350) so the skin was nice and crispy. I think I used too much olive oil though b/c I could hear the oil splattering and sizzling in the pan the entire time it was roasting. Oh well. It was moist and juicy. :wub:

I would like to make a reservation at 7pm tomorrow at Chez Percy, please.  :wink:

Jeez! No kiddin! Pictures like that make me ... want a better camera :biggrin:

Dinner tonight:

gallery_16561_472_1103091082.jpg

Salade d'Ongelet from Les Halles ... enjoyed with a Vina Tarapaka Sauvignon Blanc. This is about the 5th or 6th recipe I've done from this cookbook ... haven't found a stinker yet. Even the vinagrette is deliscious and so bloody simple.

A.

Add one more to that reserved table, please! And I'll also take the place of Luckylies' family at her table as well. :biggrin:

It's cold, for Florida! Nice timing if it had to happen, though... I had already made soup from the left over grilled lamb roast.

gallery_13038_284_1103117945.jpg

Lamb and Barley Soup

gallery_13038_284_1103117998.jpg

Mushroom and Scallion Wraps

I placed two or three slices of deli swiss cheese on each flour tortilla, topped that with two spoonfulls of mushrooms sauteed in butter and one spoonfull of chopped raw scallion, did the wrap thing, and baked it in the 350 oven for a few minutes loosely covered with foil.

...Yummy, and enjoyed with a Pinot Noir.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.