• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

I've been working stupid, ridiculous hours...we've eaten braised everything for 3 months now...

But, last night I got out before 9, and bought some good stuff and we had:

Simple pan fried red snapper fillets topped with frizzled parsley and crispy lemon rind zest, sitting on top of completely decedant pureed celery root and some quickly blanched sea beans with a little lemon juice.

Followed by a mache salad with little roasted cherry tomatoes stuffed with parsley, parmigiana and garlic. Yummy little tomato surprises tucked into the mache tangle!

It felt so good to just take some time and cook instead of rushing home to get some quick food before collapsing.....

You have my sympathy about working those hours! The dinner you fixed sounded nice. I agree how good it feels to take time to cook instead of rushing.

Please tell me what made the pureed celery root decadent!

Last night I went out to dinner again, with another friend, at a place called Gumbo's... Not good.

Tonight we made linguine with red clam sauce, salad, and Banfi Chianti Classico... Good.

gallery_13038_284_1102724888.jpg

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Yesterday, I made....hmmm...reservations :raz:

Went to this new Thai place. Almost got the larb, but decided for the other classics..chicken satay (something not too spicy for my wife) and spicy yellow curry (for me).

Hoping to cook something tonight...looking for inspiration...

dinner tonight as very simple: Mushroom and Spinach soup.

Weigh-in day is tomorrow, so I wanted something light ;).

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Although the Dinner! thread is one of my favourite discussions on eGullet, I haven't been able to work up the nerve to make a post of my own until tonight. The prospect of putting my plebian food efforts against all this collective brilliance has been daunting to say the least! :rolleyes:

Weekend dinners are an important time at our house. During the week, we do try to cook together as often as possible but make an extra special effort to include our preschooler in dinner preparations when we're home on Saturdays and Sundays. He helps with the mise en place, washing and plating cut veggies as well as the odd bit of chopping like taking the ends off of green beans. And he's great at washing dishes... repeat the mantra son... washing dishes is fun, washing dishes is fun... :wink:

Tonight's dinner was a simple one-pot meal of rustic, tomatoey chicken stew with mushrooms, zucchini, parsley and black olives. Lots of garlic and spanish onions. Sprinkled with more parsley and served over white rice. Yummy. Perfect for banishing the winter chill.

gallery_18820_1_1102837350.jpg

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Pulled the turkey legs and wings out of the freezer early today and made small pot of stock while making dessert. Added chopped baby carrots, spanish onion, fresh picked rosemary and thyme, chopped parsley and celery leaves, a small glug of Beaujolais Noveau, then threw in some egg noodles to cook and the turkey meat, black pepper. Very tasty turkey herb-rich pepper pot soup. Served with homemade wheat bread smeared with garlic butter and oven toasted. Candied ginger and cinnamon banana/apricot/pecan bread for dessert.

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

Tonight's dinner was a simple one-pot meal of rustic, tomatoey chicken stew with mushrooms, zucchini, parsley and black olives.  Lots of garlic and spanish onions.  Sprinkled with more parsley and served over white rice.  Yummy.  Perfect for banishing the winter chill.gallery_18820_1_1102837350.jpg

Mooshmouse, I do hope you post here more often. Your dinner looks great, just bursting with color and flavor! Is your avatar the pre-schooler mentioned above? He's absolutely adorable!

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Although the Dinner! thread is one of my favourite discussions on eGullet, I haven't been able to work up the nerve to make a post of my own until tonight.  The prospect of putting my plebian food efforts against all this collective brilliance has been daunting to say the least!  :rolleyes:

Weekend dinners are an important time at our house.  During the week, we do try to cook together as often as possible but make an extra special effort to include our preschooler in dinner preparations when we're home on Saturdays and Sundays.  He helps with the mise en place, washing and plating cut veggies as well as the odd bit of chopping like taking the ends off of green beans.  And he's great at washing dishes... repeat the mantra son... washing dishes is fun, washing dishes is fun...  :wink:

Tonight's dinner was a simple one-pot meal of rustic, tomatoey chicken stew with mushrooms, zucchini, parsley and black olives.  Lots of garlic and spanish onions.  Sprinkled with more parsley and served over white rice.  Yummy.  Perfect for banishing the winter chill.

gallery_18820_1_1102837350.jpg

...A wonderful post! It's a pretty picture, too, and looks delicious. I hope you join this thread on a regular basis. :smile:

Judith, your turkey soup dinner sounded great, too.

We went to a holiday party last night, the big dinner put on by our employer. It was a fun time, but the food was a buffet with mediocre food to say the most.

That is a lovely dinner Mooshmouse, looks delicious.

I'm missing my camera! I left it at a friend's house on Friday. Although I can't say that my DH is missing having dinner photographed! :laugh: Good practice, I do the pics whether I post them or not.

Susan, I'm sure you'll be glad to be eating one of your own outstanding meals. :biggrin:

Judith Love

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

Italian Sausage sandwiches, made from meat and bread purchased in 'da Bronx

gallery_2_0_79577.jpg

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Sunday dinner..

partridges pot roasted with onions, carrots & white wine

polenta grilled with parmesan & sage

buttery leeks & mushrooms:

gallery_21505_358_1102876655.jpg

(.. and my husband who always seems to be clutching his glass of wine in my pictures)

Saturday Night - Lobster Ravioli (not homemade), with a tomato cream vodka sauce. Topped with garlic sautéed jumbo shrimp.

gallery_21049_162_1102887579.jpg

Sunday Night - Turkey and Andouille sausage dark gumbo. Got some turkey thighs from the store, sautéed them, made a roux and added Okra and filé as well (so that Mayhaw Man and other gumbo aficionados don't complain) :wink:. To make up for this conformance though, I added 1/2 cup of sushi rice....shhhhh :laugh:. The gumbo is still simmering on the stove, but the taste tests were good.

gallery_21049_162_1102887508.jpg

Chufi...your dinner looks great...as always.

Mooshmouse, your dinner looks great too. The wonderful thing about food is that there is no right and wrong, just what seems right to you at that moment :rolleyes:

Cheers

Percy

Edited by percyn (log)

Our neighborhood association is having its annual holiday party, and we're supposed to bring "finger food". I thought it would be amusing to be the one who shows up with chips and dip: homemade potato chips and chipotle mayonnaise:

gallery_17531_173_1102894849.jpg

Chufi -- your dinner looks fabulous, as usual. You guys wear your wedding bands on the right also? :smile:

(edited -- how many typos can I make in one post? yeesh.)

Edited by Behemoth (log)

Oh, my! Everyone's weekend dinners look superb! And here I am with just plain old school.

After these appetizers of old bay'ed cream cheese and smoked salmon on celery and the crunchiest rice crackers (I adore those crackers!), can you guess what we had for dinner tonight?

gallery_11814_353_1102897772.jpg

gallery_11814_353_1102897797.jpg

gallery_11814_353_1102897825.jpg

Behemoth, I love your photo, those chips look amazing!

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

You all are on a roll for awesome looking food!

Susan, I'm sure you'll be glad to be eating one of your own outstanding meals. :biggrin:

I was looking forward to a dinner at home tonight... We grilled a pork roast rubbed with adobo and had two sauces to go with it, a warm mojo and a cuban-style tomato sauce. They were good, but the pork turned out so well that it didn't need sauce on it. We liked it better without. We had rice & black beans, roasted turnips, and Shiraz with it. We're getting ready to taste a Christmas present, Just Desserts™ Chocolate Chip Cookie Cream Liqueur.

gallery_13038_284_1102902002.jpg

gallery_2_4_1102903288.jpg

#2 Borgatti Tagliatelle (From the Bronx) Fresh Spinach Noodles with Porcini and White Mushrooms and Chicken in a Veal Glace, and Sour Cream Sauce with Parmigiano Reggiano, Parsley and Peas

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Oh my Jason, that is gorgeous!!

I didn't really cook dinner last night, we had a party for about 30 so I made heavy hors d'oevrs:

Brie baked in puff pastry with raspberry/rosemary sauce served with crackers and grapes

-Oysters on the half shell with mignonette sauce

-Roast Beef Tenderloin with Horseradish Sauce

-Pancetta, Leek and Goat Cheese Tartlets

-Gougeres

-Olives, Almonds and Hazelnuts

-Gingersnap cookies (made by Dayne!)

Dinner tonight will be very simple as we are exhausted!

Pumpkin ravioli from a local fresh pasta shop with brown butter and sage sauce, garlic bread, green salad.

Edited by little ms foodie (log)

It was 80 here today, so a perfect time for a fall-inspired salad for dinner. Romaine with sliced cider braised short ribs, onion confit, and dried sliced figs (black mission and green Laila). On the side, Triscuits spread with cream cheese/gorgonzola/green onion, and red grapes.

Judith Love

Saturday-

Chicken noodle soup made with homemade chicken stock, chicken thighs, lentils, and frozen pasta scraps I saved from making ravioli.

gallery_5404_94_1102913449.jpg

Sunday-

Duck two ways...two very different ways.

the legs, wings and neck were braised with dried orange peel, almonds, wine and Gran Marnier.

Served this one with yogurt-garlic mashed potatoes

gallery_5404_94_1102913658.jpg

The breasts were seared and served with dried chile-almond-raisin sauce. Served this one with homemade tortillas, and a simple cabbage salad.

gallery_5404_94_1102913807.jpg

dessert: pan fried Atayif with lots of rosewater syrup.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Friday night: couldn't get it up for cooking, so cooked up some Smithfield bacon (good stuff) and made an onion and ham frittata with bits of leftover cheeses.

Saturday night: Rigatoni with sweet Italian sausage, onions & fennel from Lidia's new cookbook. Really really good.

Sunday night: Chili made in the Crockpot on Saturday with Wick Fowler's 2 Alarm Chili Kit - best damn chili I ever made, and the easiest to boot. Served with guacamole, pickled red jalapenos, cheddar, sour cream and chopped onions. With cornbread. :wub:

Tonight: Roast pork sandwiches on some kind of "rustic" Italian bread with provolone and red onions. Cooked the pork yesterday in my Set It and Forget It, stabbed all over and stuffed with garlic/fresh rosemary/fresh sage/kosher salt mix. Yum.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Cornish game hens brushed with Annaliese Keller's Apricot-Chipotle-Sesame glaze (in a reduction), baby carrots, and mashed potatoes. No photos: I was doing dinner for a group.

Some of the extreme close-ups in this thread give me a kind of vertigo. It's weird. I literally get dizzy.

Spaghetttti, there is a typo in your "spaghetttti" bowl. :laugh::laugh:

EDIT: to amend my own typos of "spaghetttti."

Edited by tanabutler (log)

Tana, did my spaghetti make you wooooozy? Very sorry :sad: I had leftovers for dinner tonight after a great Lebanese lunch today. I'm going to really study Foodman's eGCI course Introduction to Lebanese Cuisine and hit the books (cookbooks) so I can prepare a homemade version of today's lunch for dinner one of these days.

gallery_11814_353_1102975320.jpg

Edited by spaghetttti (log)

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

The breasts were seared and served with dried chile-almond-raisin sauce. Served this one with homemade tortillas, and a simple cabbage salad.

gallery_5404_94_1102913807.jpg

Elie

Ahhh.....sounds quite interesting (fusion of Texas and Middle-Eastern)...will have to try it soon. What kind of chiles did you use?

Great tasting dinner tonight, but no way would I post the photo ...and it looked good in person, but it looked terrible in the picture ...Spaghetti alla Carbonara. Not an easy dish to photograph. It looked like somebody had already eaten it. Tana, this one would surely have made you woozy, and as usual for me, it was not even a close up. :biggrin:

I know... enough already. Sorry, I just needed to rant about that. I haven't been happy with my photos recently.

Anyway, it was David Leite's recipe, delicious.