• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

dark, stormy and rainy in Seattle..... just like in London right???

Shepards pie! in the dish...

mmmmmmmmmm!

That Shepard's pie must be perfect for the always rainy Seattle weather :rolleyes:

Yikes, awfully rainy here in Seattle tonight. I threw together some sundried tomato "tapenade" and had it with a few crackers and slices of aged manchego with a handful of olives to boot. O'Reilly's here, too. :)

It's a sundried tomato eatin' television watchin' kind of a rainy night.

Salmon croquettes with fresh lemon thyme, dill weed, and parsley in the mix, curried cabbage slaw with pecans and golden raisins, and -- tater tots. Red pepper spiced tartar sauce with the salmon and chili garlic sauce with the tots.

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

Ling, where'd you get the Meyer lemons--Urban Fare? I made awesome Meyer lemon sorbet from Chez Panisse Fruit book last time I found some.

Last night: made prawn and vegetable green Thai curry, served with steamed rice.

Had it with some kind of rum cocktail made by hubby with lots of muddled limes, simple syrup and ice.

Cold and rainy last night, well, all day actually so we had braised short ribs, roasted garlic mashed potatos, maple glazed brussel sprouts and carrots.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

Percy, you're cooking up some fine weeknight dinners this week! Your beer reminded me of what we drank recently, a Rogue Dead Guy Ale. It was good.

Susan, the broccoli salad looks great! How'd you make it?
Susan, that all looks delicious! You're earning your larb stripes!  :laugh:
Thanks!! :biggrin:
I'm curious about your broccoli salad also. Will you share?  Please? :rolleyes:

I blanched the broccoli in salted water first. Quickly before serving I barely browned garlic slices in peanut oil, and then added shallot slices. To that I added the broccoli and just a bit of Thai fish sauce and then an even more tiny bit of Thai oyster sauce, and then just gave it a stir until all heated through. It's a nice side for Asian.

Last night I ate out at the Chart House with a friend.

Tonight was grilled leg of lamb rubbed with rosemary, garlic, S&P, and olive oil; roasted tomatoes and roasted flattened baked potatoes inspired by Chufi (wonderful, thanks!); Caesar salad; and Rancho Zabaco, Sonoma Heritage Vines.

gallery_13038_284_1102560183.jpg

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Tonight's meal was an attempt to make up, in advance, for the coming indulgences of the weekend. It was quite tasty and hopefully a few nights eating like this will stave off the holiday pudgies :raz:

Sturgeon filets, rubbed with evoo, lemon, oregano, cumin and s&p; pan fried and finished in the oven till just done, but still juicy.

Puy lentils cooked according to an old Jacques Pepin recipe (Today's Gourmet Cookbook). Lentils simmered with onion, garlic,salt and bay leaves until tender, then dressed with olive oil, dijon mustard and garlic and tabassco sauce and pepper.

Steamed broccolini with lemon

Salad of mesclun, fennel, pickled red onion, yellow beets, fuyu persimmon and toasted pecans in a light raspberry vinagrette

Mineral water with lime

Jan

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

Very simple dinner tonight, we are trying to empty our freezer as we have a large turkey on the way!

pate with baguette, mustard and cornichons. Out of Cassis! grrrr :angry: tried some Lillet rouge with a bit of white wine, don't try this...it's nasty! Glass of O'Reillys Merlot from last night. Dayne is off alcohol this week so it's up to me to drink the bottle. :smile:

Dinner was leftover sausage and leek soup from the freezer with a simple green salad with red onions and craisons.

Simple here too! Lentil soup (beef stock and beer) with home ground chuck roast, chopped garden tomatoes, onions, garlic, lots of garden fresh thyme and cinnamon basil, fresh bay leaves off the tree, black pepper. Served soup with mound of rice on the side in the bowl and topped with cinnamon basil/onion confit. Thin, toasted homemade mixed grain/wheat bread with garlic butter.

I did the soup in the pressure cooker in the morning to let it set during the day, then heated it for dinner. Warm, spicy and filling. :wub:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

polenta with boernkaas.

I wonder. Boernkaas? that is almost a dutch word (boerenkaas). What is it and where do you buy it?

Susan - how wonderful to see those potatoes and tomatoes on one of your beautiful plates in Florida! Btw the potatoes were an idea I got when browsing through a dutch cookery magazine at a newsstand. I think the original recipe was from Jill Dupleix, an Australian foodwriter.

It is in fact boerenkaas- my typo.

It is a dutch cheese that is nutty and mild, I believe it is a kind of gouda.

I really liked the little crystal flavor bits in cave-aged gruyere so I asked the guys at Murray's Cheese what they were, turns out their amino acid crystals, and they recommended this cheese which also has them. Boerenkaas can come young (semi-hard) or extra aged (firm, breaks into shards), I like them both. It is available at many cheese shops and groceries in New York.

Pressed potatoes!

Someone here posted a pic and recipe for pressed potatoes, and I just want to say thank you. I went to lunch yesterday and brought half home, and when I heated up my leftover, I did it in a saute pan and buttered the half eaten potato, turned it upside down and pressed a plate over it. 20 minutes later, I had a fantastic crispy, buttery meal. I will remember this!

:rolleyes: Pam

Last day of classes tomorrow, way too mcuh to do (and I am posting here why??)

Fried eggs in olive oil, Lebanese style with pita bread and olives. Dessert was two mini snickers stolen from my husband's student treats (they have an exam tomorrow, hence the bribe). and I don't even like chocolate, much less Mars-derived candies. Right now I am gnawing on a piece of manchego. Espresso. Pathetic, I know.

10 more days to Christmas in Germany!!

Guiness Ginger Cake

I took all the scraps I cut off to level the bottom mushed and heated with some milk- yum.

Please tell me more!! My husband loves Guiness and Ginger! Recipe??

A friend stopped by afterwork so we munched on some Spanish almonds and had a kir.

Dinner after was Penne with Pumpkin and Sausage- a really tasty winter pasta dish we fell in love with last year. (thanks to Rachel Ray :blush: )

gallery_16100_1_1102653595.jpg

Served with a Columbia Winery Sangiovese (not to be confused with Columbia Crest) and a green salad with craisons and cucumbers.

The little lady is expecting... so she ate something like ten pickles, some crackers, and an absurd amount of pistachios.

I had some morbier, a few sweet onion crackers, a vodka-soda-orange-zest cocktail, a handful of (previoulsy frozen) raspberries, and some spicy Turkish sausage. She drank a Coke faster than I could hand it to her. And then more pickles.

I should learn to how deep-fry pickles.

Oh LMF, isn't that a great combo?  :smile: Last winter, I made a dish out of roasted butternut squash, sausage, roasted red peppers, walnuts, and caramelized onions all in pasta. Maybe the flavors were muddled because of all that stuff, but MAN was it good!!

Oh that makes me think that next time I make this I should mix in some onion confit if I have it!!! Good idea, thanks!

I should learn to how deep-fry pickles.

jrt- we deep fry them and dip them in spicy ranch sauce.....YUM! very easy to do! and there is a thread on it but I can't seem to find it right now.

...and there is a thread on it but I can't seem to find it right now.

A discussion: "Fried dill pickles: southern invention, are these as good as their "press"?"

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I've been working stupid, ridiculous hours...we've eaten braised everything for 3 months now...

But, last night I got out before 9, and bought some good stuff and we had:

Simple pan fried red snapper fillets topped with frizzled parsley and crispy lemon rind zest, sitting on top of completely decedant pureed celery root and some quickly blanched sea beans with a little lemon juice.

Followed by a mache salad with little roasted cherry tomatoes stuffed with parsley, parmigiana and garlic. Yummy little tomato surprises tucked into the mache tangle!

It felt so good to just take some time and cook instead of rushing home to get some quick food before collapsing.....