• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2004

dumpling

A stoofperen is a cooking pear or stewing pear, but I am not sure what type of pear it is in English.

Could it be a quince?

no, a quince is a kweepeer in Dutch. It really is a type of pear, the variety is called Gieser Wildeman.

Luckylies.. what a beautiful picture of the candlelit table and is that a fire in the background? And the rack looks great!

and I want those oysters.. and those chanterelles.. pretty much everything I see on this thread, I want..

Not tonight's dinner, but a few days ago:

gallery_2_4_1103166411.jpg

Loaded Baked Potato with Chili, Shredded Colby-Jack Cheese, Fresh Tomato, Sour Cream and Cilantro, with Sauteed Spinach on the Side.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Blackened Turkey Burger

Drove by a well known local brewpub which has great pub-grub and a wide range of beers (over 250).

This turkey burger and their great tasting fries hit the spot !! The hint of green you see on the burger is a bit of avocado, which is also added as a condiment.

gallery_21049_162_1103244312.jpg

Made even tastier with some Rouge !!

gallery_21049_162_1103244247.jpg

Cheers

P

Beautiful pics from everyone! :biggrin:

Tuesday night was oven-fried Cajun catfish, oven-fried potatoes (chip style) and baby carrots and Granny apple slices in a red jalapeno jelly glaze. I make this jelly every year with peppers from our garden, with lime zest/juice and cider vinegar. It is good for so much more than crackers. :rolleyes:

Wednesday I fell asleep late in the afternoon :blush: and my nap kinda crowded the dinner hour. :laugh: So that night we dipped into the cold storage and resurrected Szekelys gulyas (pork with sauerkraut goulash) and topped it with onion confit and sour cream. The rest of the glazed carrots and apples on the side.

gallery_12550_103_1103256256.jpg

Tonight was gumbo! Shrimp and chicken with okra, lots of onions, diced tomatoes and corn, served with rice and cornbread sticks.

gallery_12550_103_1103257987.jpg

It's been chilly here, a little rainy, good for soupy dinners . . . but I think we may want to eat something on a plate tomorrow!

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

Fooled around with pomegranates last night.

So I made chicken breasts seasoned with some cumin, coriander, cinnamon, sauteed in brown butter and finished with lime juice and some pomegranate syrup, served on a bed of green with fresh pomegranate. It was lovely.

Along with some lentils and quick sauteed green beans with crispy shallots.

You know how get obsessed with an ingredient...this week its pomegranates! :wub:

Fooled around with pomegranates last night.

So I made chicken breasts seasoned with some cumin, coriander, cinnamon, sauteed in brown butter and finished with lime juice and some pomegranate syrup, served on a bed of green with fresh pomegranate. It was lovely.

Along with some lentils and quick sauteed green beans with crispy shallots.

You know how get obsessed with an ingredient...this week its pomegranates!  :wub:

I love poms too. I made a shrimp ceviche with poms a few weeks ago and it was outstanding. The flavor and color of the seeds was a huge hit. They are also great in guacamole!!! Plan on doing that this weekend.

Here's lunch coming up for a few people:

Baked potatoes slathered with duck fat and seasoned before they went in.

Pulled them, will finish them while double smoked garlic sausages roast. Then I'll scoop the guys out, mix with crème fraiche, scallions, and barbecued salmon. Some haricot verts tossed with taramasalata. Slice the sausages and toss with frisee. Might poach a few eggs for the salad...

Nah. That's fine as is, for lunch.

Supper is for twenty odd:

Butter-flied shrimp deep-fried with panko with a cilantro pesto dipping sauce.

Korroke (rice crouqettes griddled) topped with Thai roasted red curry mushrooms (eryngi, chanterelles, oyster). You pick these up and pop them in your mouth.

Dashi broth with shelled oysters and various seaweeds.

Pulled pork with dandelion greens and tamarind sauce.

Mint and chile granita.

Followed by gohan (Japanese rice) with genmai cha (um, roasted rice green tea) and dried shrimp.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Pulled them, will finish them while double smoked garlic sausages roast. Then I'll scoop the guys out, mix with crème fraiche, scallions, and barbecued salmon. Some haricot verts tossed with taramasalata. Slice the sausages and toss with frisee. Might poach a few eggs for the salad...

Korroke (rice crouqettes griddled) topped with Thai roasted red curry mushrooms (eryngi, chanterelles, oyster). You pick these up and pop them in your mouth.

Mint and chile granita.

Followed by gohan (Japanese rice) with genmai cha (um, roasted rice green tea) and dried shrimp.

Oh the pain, oh the torture.....I wish I was there. Tonight I am making short ribs a la Jinmyo, crustino with mushroom ragu and poached eggs a la Pino Luongo, mashed potatoes, yellow and green beans.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Monday - Pork Schnitzel with Red cabbage, mash and green beans with a cheap Argentinean Shiraz/Malbec blend. I was feeling Teutonic so I had a Konig Pilsner while cooking.

Tuesday - Pan Seared Rib eyes with Bleu Cheese Polenta, green beans and a mixed green salad with lemon-basil vinaigrette. St. Francis Zinfandel (2000?)

Wednesday - Elementary School Winter Concert - Thin Crust Pizza with sausage, spinach and mushrooms(take out), winter greens with beets and pignoli - bleu cheese dressing. Masi Valpolicella Classico.

Thursday - Grilled Chicken Thighs (marinated in Tuesday nights vinaigrette), green pea risotto and cauliflower. Hugel Gentil.

''Wine is a beverage to enjoy with your meal, with good conversation, if it's too expensive all you talk about is the wine.'' Bill Bowers - The Captain's Tavern, Miami

Mint and chile granita.

that lunch sounds like my fantasy last meal. crisp potato skins, rich & creamy mealy insides, burst yolky goodness, slightly bitter crunch of frisee and browned yet amazingly juicy salty sausages.

if they ever (catch me and) string me up - can i call you to prepare my last meal?

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

First Course - Crab cake with shrimp and green beans.

The crab cake was bought from a small catering/restaurant place this afternoon when I went to place a Christmas order. Sautéed some jumbo shrimp in EVOO, butter and garlic. Sautéed some green beans in the same pan and topped with sliced almonds (reminded me of how NYC steakhouses serve green beans). The sauce came with the crab cake and tasted great...like a homemade lemon tartar.

gallery_21049_162_1103331657.jpg

Main Course - Maple Chipotle glazed chicken with Chanterelle mushrooms served on a bed of seven grain salad.

Those chanterelles were huge...the left one was as big as my fist !!

gallery_21049_162_1103331687.jpg

Dessert - Maybe a drink that I will post later in the Drinks! Forum I recently started.

Cheers

Percy

More fresh pasta tonight:

Borgatti Fresh Noodles #1 prepared two ways:

gallery_2_4_1103334702.jpg

Alla Ragu'

gallery_2_4_1103334637.jpg

Scampi in a Lemon, Parsley, Sherry garlic butter sauce.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Taking, formatting, and posting photos of even just portions of menus became too involved for me so I'd stopped posting them. But I'll try to post every now and then.

Again, please bear in mind that this is a professional kitchen and I have two staff to help so it's really just intended to throw out some ideas some might find useful.

Lunch (my own main meal) is less involved so I might post some of those too.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

oh I love these winter afternoons when you open a bottle of good wine and you have a pan of gamey loveliness simmering on the stove.. saturday dinner:

braised pheasant with porcini and chestnut-mushroom sauce

creamy gratin of swede and potato with bacon

salad of baby leaves and radicchio to finish:

gallery_21505_358_1103394285.jpg

Korean food tonight:

gallery_2_4_1103419933.jpg

Bulgogi (Soy/Sugar/Garlic/scallion Marinated Sliced Ribeye) with Cucumber Kimchi, Jap Chae Noodles, Mungbean Pancakes and Chicken Rice.

Tonight was:

Meatloaf sandwich (with an awesome hot garlic mustard from Buffalo, NY) and a side of roasted brussels sprouts.

No pics, as I devoured it with great prejudice as soon as it was prepared.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Getting a camera for festivus.. Smoked a turkey breast wrapped in a pound of bacon.. Made baby back ribs too. Started at 3, Ate at 9.. Very good.. Made two pizza's with spicy cap. and proscuitto while we were waiting..

On my last shop before my partner returns home from two weeks away, Whole Foods dangled a dry-cured rib eye in front of me, and even at $17/lb I had to grab it. Sauteed that salted and peppered puppy in butter to rare while some haricot verts and, a few minutes later, a bunch of fat shiitake roasted in EVOO and salt at 500 in the oven. Washed it down with a Big House Red.

Damned skippy, that.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

On my last shop before my partner returns home from two weeks away, Whole Foods dangled a dry-cured rib eye in front of me, and even at $17/lb I had to grab it. Sauteed that salted and peppered puppy in butter to rare while some haricot verts and, a few minutes later, a bunch of fat shiitake roasted in EVOO and salt at 500 in the oven. Washed it down with a Big House Red.

Damned skippy, that.

Chris that is my favorite way to do steak!! roasted with beans and mushrooms, yum!!

Dinner tonight was inspired by Thomas Keller's video stream on Epicurious:

Herbed gnocchi (made a few weeks ago and in the freezer) with roasted sweet potatoes, yams, leeks, herbs in a butter sauce. With a simple salad. And the WOW Renwood Barbera 2001 in the glass,

gallery_16100_1_1103429485.jpg

Edited by little ms foodie (log)

Dinner tonight was inspired by Thomas Keller's video stream on Epicurious:

Speaking of Thomas Keller, I spent over 1 hr this morning trying to get reservations to Per Se and was only able to get on the waiting list (just missed the confirmed reservations quota) :angry::angry::angry: . Hopefully I will have better luck tomorrow :huh: ...anyone know of a better way to procure reservations at Per Se ?

Thanks

P