• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

dcarch – Thank you. Your dinner is up to its usual high standard. What do hosta shoots taste like?

Mmmm, shrimp – kudos to percyn and robirdstx

mm – scrambled eggs, eh? Methinks there is more to that story.

Pan-fried cod with garlic and fermented black beans; dry-fried green beans; corn; and jasmine rice.

p471654927-4.jpg

Braised Short Ribs with Carrot Puree and Shiitake. Recipe inspired by Stephane with zencancook.com. Ribs were marinated in red wine reduced with vegetables and cooked SV at 60C for 72hs. Tender, moist and perfectly pink inside.

471450101506987343899837282749-M.jpg

photo-8-M.jpg

Tamarind halibut, a delicate dish from Kerala with tamarind, onions, coconut milk, curry leaves, dried spices and chiles:

tamarind_fish.jpg

They had nice wild whitebait at the fishmongers too so I got that and floured it a la Richard Olney:

whitebait.jpg

And then rapidly deep-fried it and served it with fried parsley and lemons:

whitebait_cooked.jpg

My daughter's friend was over for dinner, so I made some cauliflower cheese using purple cauliflower. The picture does not do the striking final colour justice.

Dan

gallery_61658_6368_395713.jpg

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

They had Nairagi at the market today. Being the Texan landlubber I am, I knew little about it, so I asked the guy behind the counter how to cook it.

'All the way through,' he says. 'Like swordfish. Lime and chilies are great with it.'

So I marinated for an hour or so with the lime juice and chilies, then under the broiler for a few, and manufactured some sort of mango/pepper/cilantro type salsa mess for the top.

nairagi.JPG

I also had some grated carrot salad from Robuchon. Also good, though served more out of the necessity to get rid of some carrots.

Edited because I can never just let copy be.

Edited by Rico (log)

Chile%2520Garlic%2520Shrimp.jpg

Red Chile and Garlic Shrimp in Olive Oil

Can you share this recipe? Looks great.

Sure. I saw Anne Burrell do her Shrimp with Garlic and Olive Oil recipe on her tv program and found the recipe online here. I used the pan option in her recipe and subbed in gulf shrimp for the rock.

Wednesday was a combination of 'clean out the fridge' day and 'we need vegetables' day.

Part the first: reheated pasta w tomato sauce plus mozzarella melted on top and fried chicken reheated in the counter-top convection oven

Part the second:

stirfried vegetable combination: white mushrooms, shitake mushrooms, onion chunks, baby "bok choy" (so labeled at the store, but with bright green stem and matching green leaf - not the dark green and white version), with sesame oil and preserved black beans.

Plain noodles, cooked in chicken broth.

It made for interesting combinations on our plates.

The vegetable dish worked well, with sweet & crunch from the onion, salt from the beans, and umami chewiness from the mushrooms. It was pretty too, but there are no pictures.

Last night was omelets for dinner, filled with:

mushrooms cooked in butter and garlic til chewy

steamed broccoli

extra-sharp cheddar

accented with sriracha for two of us

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

David Ross that bucatini looks like it's made exactly right.

Rico Swordfish looks delicious. Now what if you'd simply marinated it in the lime juice and served it as ceviche?

This is from two nights ago... another Persian dish. Lamb shank with fresh young almonds (with the fuzzy green outside layer left on, in season right now) - deliciously bitter and sour:

lamb_shank_young_almonds.jpg

Great looking swordfish Rico - beautiful photography of a delicious looking bucatini david ross and mr holloway that pizza looks deeeeelish!

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

So much great food, y’all!

robirdstx – beautiful, glisteny shrimps :wub: !

Bruce – maybe I’m biased from spending summer vacations at OC, but I think MD has some of the best white corn in the world! Just gorgeous!

My mother and I are in Emerald Isle NC visiting cousins who are renting a house on the beach here. A storm moved in tonight, but we’ve had beautiful weather since we got here on Thursday. I was the cook tonight and served a green salad, roasted garlic bread and Maggie’s sautéed shrimp and corn with basil:

med_gallery_3331_114_30883.jpg

Fabulous fresh NC shrimp, super sweet and juicy white corn (Florida, I guess) – perfect summer meal!

About a week overdue -- an image from my Escoffier-themed dinner.

escoffier.jpg

Starting at the bottom left-hand corner of the image ...

Tournedos Rossini. Except not. Instead of fillet I slow-roasted a rib-eye, Hestonstyle, and served it with bloc de foie gras. The sauce is Escoffier's Madeira sauce. To make the sauce I first made brown stock, then brown sauce and then demi-glace, which I jacked with Madeira.

Oxtail soup. The broth is pretty much Escoffier's recipe, altho' he bases his oxtail soup on water (the idea being, of course, that after ~8 hours ticking away on the stove the water will be rather broth-like). I opted to use his brown stock as a base. The dumplings contain the oxtail meat as well as some rehydrated morels, parsley and chives.

Various charcuterie bits and pieces. I mostly bought things--the olives, the various cured beef and pork products--but there are a couple of things I made there (the carrots and mustard seeds, both of which came from David Chang's book).

Not pictured: truffled roast chicken (slow-roasted Hestonstyle, of course), assorted roast vegetables and annachan's dish of oxtail, pig bits and sausages. I also made a ratatouille but, as I finished things off, covered it and set the pot aside to make room on the stove. And then ... I forgot about it. Only when I got into bed, when everyone had gone home, did I remember I still had a pot of ratatouille just sitting on the bench. When it'd been out far too long to say, oh, I'll just put it in the fridge and eat it for lunch tomorrow. Sad story, that.

There are also no dessert pictures.

Edited by ChrisTaylor (log)

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between