• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2012

rarerollingobject

Started dinner tonight with salads:

med_gallery_3331_114_173.jpg

NY Times burgers w/ caramelized onions, bacon and bleu cheese:

med_gallery_3331_114_247055.jpg

Also tots and roasted cauliflower.

Close up:

med_gallery_3331_114_254623.jpg

Never really craved homemade burgers until I started making these. Now I want them all the time. I also want to serve them to everyone I know so I can show them what they are missing.

Never really craved homemade burgers until I started making these. Now I want them all the time. I also want to serve them to everyone I know so I can show them what they are missing.

They look really succulent Kim! May I ask for a recipe, or what makes them so good? I just bought a Kenwood stand mixer with the mincer attachment and I am going to start making burguers at home.

They look really succulent Kim! May I ask for a recipe, or what makes them so good? I just bought a Kenwood stand mixer with the mincer attachment and I am going to start making burguers at home.

Here you go, Enrique. It's more of a method than a recipe, but it makes the best burger. Tender and juicy.

Amazing looking dish panaderia!

Thank you nikki. It was so delicious that I was sad I only had enough blossom to make that much - I could easily have cooked up the other half-pound of mangrove shrimp and just kept eating.... Would you like the recipe?

ETA - also, Mmmm, I'm positively puce with envy over your morels and truffles.... The season down here is so breif as to be nonexistant. :hmmm:

Edited by Panaderia Canadiense (log)

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Robirdstx – thanks for the sausage info – I’ve saved a link in my favorites to order sometime. It sounds like something that both of us would love. Your pizzas are super and when I saw your gratin, it made me wish that I’d insisted on making it for Easter.

Thanks, Kim, that gratin was so good. I need to make it more often myself.

Dinner last night:

Chicken%2520Marsala%2520and%2520Rice.jpg

Chicken Marsala, Lemon Butter Artichoke Hearts, and Trader Joe's Basmati Rice Medley

Marinated Cod with Brussel Sprouts and Mashed Potatoes

Cod was marinated in basil, garlic, olive oil and then pan fried. Brussel sprouts were tossed in balsamic vinegar, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper. Baked in a 375F oven for 20 minutes. I now need to provide my mashed potatoes skills... :hmmm:

photo.JPG

More Persian cooking.

A potato kuku (sort like a frittata):

kuku.jpg

Mixture for lamb meatballs, with ground lamb, onions, chickpea flour, ground cardamom, saffron in rosewater, salt and pepper:

meatball_mixture.jpg

Tahdig, made with kaffir lime leaf:

tahdig.jpg

Finished gondi (meatball soup), soup made from lamb bones, turmeric, onions, and ghee:

meatballs.jpg

mm -

What is the chicken coated in? Did you use activa or just rely on chicken to bind naturally after cooking?

The chicken leg is coated in a chicken mousse made from breast meat .I added a bit of polyphosphate to the mousse itself, to help bind the chicken with the creme fraiche, and just spread that on with a spatula. Cooked sous vice, with no use of transglutanimase.

Stash – you are probably right. And I noticed those gougères on FB (I think I ‘liked’ them) – tremendously fabulous idea!!!!

PC – that shrimp dish is just GORGEOUS!!! Is dcarch visiting you :wink: ? Seriously, girl – that may be the prettiest dish of the week!

Shane – your sweet potatoes are beautiful.

Patrick – you are KILLING me with the tahdigs. Enough!

Yesterday was Big Salad night:

med_gallery_3331_114_86380.jpg

Mr. Kim’s

med_gallery_3331_114_37939.jpg

Mine. Basically we just put everything in the fridge on a plate and covered it with dressing :laugh: !

More Persian cooking.

A potato kuku (sort like a frittata):

kuku.jpg

Mixture for lamb meatballs, with ground lamb, onions, chickpea flour, ground cardamom, saffron in rosewater, salt and pepper:

meatball_mixture.jpg

Tahdig, made with kaffir lime leaf:

tahdig.jpg

Finished gondi (meatball soup), soup made from lamb bones, turmeric, onions, and ghee:

meatballs.jpg

Mmmm tahdiiiiig

FrogPrincesse – Tart art.

EnriqueB – fine-looking dishes, especially the Cream of cauliflower with red beet chips.

C. sapidus – Very good combination of ingredients, your Parsi chicken curry.

Pasta primavera – Very sophisticated plating. The swirl design of the plate echoes the shape of the shrimps.

SobaAddict70 – mine Pasta primavera never can look as good as yours.

avaserfi – Nothing fancy, simple and good. The only way to enjoy dry-aged hanger steak.

robirdstx – I keep looking at your Chicken Marsala. I think I am going to make that next week.

patrickamory – WOW! Nice Persian recipes.

mm84321 – Very well thoughtout and beautiful dishes.

Kim – that is a very pretty salad, and well–balanced health-wise. Sinfully good NY Times burger.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A few dishes:

Pot stickers with pickles cucumber and radish. The red is not coloring.

Poached salmon

Stir fried Hosta shoots from my garden.

dcarch

potstickerb2.jpg

potstickerb.jpg

Poachedsalmon2.jpg

Poachedsalmon.jpg

hosta2012a.jpg

Thanks dcarch.

I guess dumplings (the Chinese kind) are on my "to do" list eventually...

tonight:

Leftover pasta, along with these two:

6943657526_ccc4b794a7_z.jpg

Cippolini en agrodolce

6943657606_71de91b109_z.jpg

Shaved asparagus salad with roasted shallots, fried herbs and shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese

I've been going bananas on roasted shallots for a while now; this phase shall eventually pass. :raz:

WOW! So many amazing meals.

Here are a few meals from days past:

Day Boat Scallop Crudo

DSCN0410.JPG

Za'atar fried chicken from Federal Donuts as talked about in NY times article. Served with pickles and a doughnut. The Korean chili sauce was my addition.

DSCN0406.JPG

Chicken and Shrimp Curry (combination of Parsi and Thai style)

DSCN0402.JPG

Bolognese and Bucatini

DSCN0412.JPG

A late lunch, early supper - Ruben sandwich

DSCN0395.JPG

Heated in a Panini press

DSCN0400.JPG